*** Early FST *** (Factory Soft Top depository) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Johnny you need to take your spring break visiting Marshall (Tollhole). Arrange to get Phil's top there and in a weeks time could help produce a pattern for great original top replacement. Your amount of information always amazes me. My hats off to you.:clap:

"Ken @eltioloco could you please measure the height of the twist buttons? It seems they come in two heights, standard and double. From the picture they look taller then the standard so just want to make sure what is correct height."

Archie, I will be out of the area for a week. When I get back to town I will measure the twist buttons. But I don't expect the size to be much different then what is still being produced.
Ken

So working on a test top now. The fasteners. If we can only get black, brass or stainless what are your preferences? I could probably get the fasteners painted the Toyota gray but that just adds more cost.

Windows? The top I have looks like it had a metal ring on the window and he sides just had plastic Windows. Is this correct. Do you want the metal rings or will making the rear like the sides matter? The welding or rope used to go in the channel. Do you want it just like factory specs or would a new synthetic channel work?

Color. Will tan canvas work? I'm working my way out of canvas with the other tops because of shrinking and fading issues. But I know you want it as period correct as possible.

Should have the first prototype done this month. Then I'll send it out to someone to get feedback on fitment.

Once we have it nailed down I'll do a group buy. Considering the time it's going to take to make these tops I only want to do it once a year. That way they can knock it out all at once and move back to making all my other tops. I want to keep this top limited on options as I already am pushing it with my other products. Thinking of at least 6 tops at first.

My input would be to make it as period correct as possible. In 1958 they did not have synthetic rope, or a choice of the color on the fasteners. Might be some shrinking and fading happening, just like an original. In my opinion if you are going to make a top or tops, type A,B, and C for the FJ25 is to make it perfectly identical to the factory soft top. John

Western Construction - September 1961

IMG_20160418_0001lr.jpg

Wish I was closer...tinkering with my old sewing machine now for some covers for my trailer...

it all depends on the correctness of it for me, I'm not interested in "bettering" the top as much as the authenticity of it.

have you received any news on how the tops were progressing Ken?

Trollhole was waiting for to see how many folks were interested in having a top made. The more tops made the less each top would cost.
Without knowing what the cost of the top is going to be, I would like the top to be a reproduction of my old top. I would certainly pay more to have it correct.
Ken

Hay Archie how's it going?

Those are webbing end tips... Those are often called horseshoe tips or c tips

There are places that sell them ... I would thing were you got that picture would be a place to get them lol :)

Beachwood has them I know

I am not near my flash drive to look ... Did you look on the canvas makers guild site? I can't recall if I had them there

If I get some time I'll search to see if anything jogs the memory ... These came up recently as well when talking about jump seat straps

Hay Archie how's it going?

Those are webbing end tips... Those are often called horseshoe tips or c tips

There are places that sell them ... I would thing were you got that picture would be a place to get them lol :)

Beachwood has them I know

I am not near my flash drive to look ... Did you look on the canvas makers guild site? I can't recall if I had them there

If I get some time I'll search to see if anything jogs the memory ... These came up recently as well when talking about jump seat straps

All good here Johnny, I am travelling at the moment in a country where I cant hold any conversation due to the language barrier, so this is how I am spending my time on internet researching things which I may need in 10 years time LOL.

Yeah I can get these from that place but too pricey for what it is @ $15 for 6 and I need 24 of them so go figure.

Looking for 1" right?

Beachwood does have them

You would need to call and they will give you a quote (there way to make sure you not making a business and getting hard wear from them to then hurt there business :) )

I am thinking strapworks or national webbing or fabricscanada?

Looking for 1" right?

Beachwood does have them

You would need to call and they will give you a quote (there way to make sure you not making a business and getting hard wear from them to then hurt there business :) )

I am thinking strapworks or national webbing or fabricscanada?

Yeah Looking for 1" straps, just had a quick look on beachwood but their profile looks more like this -
s-l300.jpg

The one in my earlier pic looks more close to OEM style. I will check other places as you mentioned.

The Canada place is nickel plated ... They just say chrome... I am almost 100% tri is where they get them from ... Recall tri telling where they distributed to and that's how I found the place in Canada :)

If it makes you feel better... In 1 year I had to repaint all my black tooth buckles on my old top because they all were rusting

At least these will be plated first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom