Early Bows - Dimension/Fit Check Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't measure these, just took a picture. All the footman loops are in the factory holes, three on each corner, six on the tailgate.
IMG_3091.jpg
IMG_3093.jpg

John can you take pictures of your doors with original skins and see how the fabric is finished at these points?

I know it was just wrapped around the outside of the frame and secured under the weatherstrip channel, but other than the glue marks, I don't know what happened around the window, hinges and door latch. :D
IMG_3080.jpg
IMG_3081.jpg
IMG_3083.jpg

Now the dimensions.

Height from the top of bow to the top of the tailgate: 32-1/2"

Mine came to 33"

Height from the top of the windshield frame to the top of the bows. Board was resting on the top of all three bows: 3-11/16"

(My wood wasn't straight so I actually measured 3 1/2" from one side and and 3 7/8" from the other.)

My were 4" and 3 7/8" measured with the board flip.

Door height from the top of the door opening to the opening in the horizontal door surround: 40-15/16"

41" on this ones.

Door opening from the windshield frame to the opening in the veritical door surround. 27-1/2"

(try to ignore the 1/2" stock "light tabs" installed by PO..........)

27 1/2" here

The tabs for the horizontal bar between the center and rear bows are slotted. I had mine set exactly in the center of each of these slots. (first pic)

Now the distance from the vertical door surround all the way to rear bow: 49-9/16"

49 1/2"

Center bow width at the bottom (from the outside of each vertical door surround: 63-1/2"

63 3/8"

Center bow width at the top (from each vertical door surround): 62"

61 3/4"

Rear bow width at bottom : 61-3/4"

61 3/4"

Rear bow width at horizontal bar: 60-1/2

60 9/16"

(Try to ignore those holes, another PO mod....)

From the channel on the windshield frame, all the way along the top of the bows to the rear bow: 78-1/2"

Again, this is with the horizontal bow in the center of the slotted tabs.

79 1/2" remember this was with the windshield not secured.

Thanks John, I didn't realize the inside of the window opening was covered, I thought it was exposed. :hmm:

Looks like a separate piece was sewn in around the window opening and it wrapped inside and then underneath the window track. :hmm:
camera card 181.JPG
camera card 182.JPG
camera card 186.JPG

anymore info you need just let me know. Wouldn't be at the house in day light until this weekend. I'll get better pictures showing how Toyota did the window wrap.

so, it's been determined that the rear bows should be the same as the 40 bows (unless you're phil, in which case your bows were made on a friday when they were thinking of beer thirty). phil measured the mid bows and they were the same (were they the same width wise also? or did you just check height?). that got me thinking.....

the front mounts are about 3" wider and the foot stands mount a few inches higher. what about cutting the feet down on the 40 rear bows, cutting in the middle and adding a small extension tube to make up the width? doable?

so, it's been determined that the rear bows should be the same as the 40 bows (unless you're phil, in which case your bows were made on a friday when they were thinking of beer thirty). phil measured the mid bows and they were the same (were they the same width wise also? or did you just check height?). that got me thinking.....

the front mounts are about 3" wider and the foot stands mount a few inches higher. what about cutting the feet down on the 40 rear bows, cutting in the middle and adding a small extension tube to make up the width? doable?

The back bow is shorter than the standard Back on a FJ40. I have one back bow off a 69 which is the same height as the early bow. But this one came with old Kayline top that is shorter in the back then my other Kayline tops, why I'm not sure.

The B pillar is narrower on the early bows not wider. It is further forward where the tub is narrower plus it mounts on the inside of the tub not a hole in the middle. I thought I had posted more pictures here https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/45428-fj25-early-fj40-soft-top-project-7.html of the differences between the two. I looked for all the pictuers I took at the time but they seem to be MIA. I do have another set of early bows I can compare to the later ones. I thought for sure we had it posted somewhere all the differences.:meh: Maybe our moderator should create a sticky with all the soft top threads. Probably one of the biggest things that separates this early cruiser from the later is the soft tops design.

The back bow is shorter than the standard Back on a FJ40. I have one back bow off a 69 which is the same height as the early bow. But this one came with old Kayline top that is shorter in the back then my other Kayline tops, why I'm not sure.

The B pillar is narrower on the early bows not wider. It is further forward where the tub is narrower plus it mounts on the inside of the tub not a hole in the middle. I thought I had posted more pictures here https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/45428-fj25-early-fj40-soft-top-project-7.html of the differences between the two. I looked for all the pictuers I took at the time but they seem to be MIA. I do have another set of early bows I can compare to the later ones. I thought for sure we had it posted somewhere all the differences.:meh: Maybe our moderator should create a sticky with all the soft top threads. Probably one of the biggest things that separates this early cruiser from the later is the soft tops design.

:doh: you are correct on the front. while the mount is wider, the bow itself is narrower, so it would be a less harsh bend than the rear. dangit...thought that would work.

the rears should work. the difference is only about 1/4 inch according to measurements from pinhead on the later bows and fjnotcj on 25 bows. with fresh canvas, i'll have a little bit of play room too, as it will be a touch larger for the "shrink to fit". but, if i have to bend fronts, and with thoughts of bending doors up, looks like i'm playing with tube and a bender instead of going the easy road

I need to compare the set I picked up off a 61 FJ40 to my other later FJ40 Those range from 67 to 73 I believe. Think it is more than a 1/4" taller on the later ones. Since Jim (OCD) had Jim's (Cruiser_Nerd) FJ25 as a pattern to make the early top you want to match that one. Badger Used brother Phil's (FJnotCJ) as the pattern which could be a little different.

Here's a description of what I did to fit a set of Pakistan bows on my '63. I still haven't modified the B-hoop to have the 's' bend in the bottom.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=5608645&postcount=41

Dan

Any pictures of how you attached the B pillar bow to the tub. On the later style it goes in the hole in the tub which isn't there on the early soft tops. It would need to inside the side or did you drill a hole in the tub? The L bracket on the W/S frame was not used on the early soft top but it did have threaded holes. The piece above the doors had the L piece welded on. Using a later soft top door would be a option but you would want to relocate the sliding window frame forward to clear the door opening.

Any pictures of how you attached the B pillar bow to the tub. On the later style it goes in the hole in the tub which isn't there on the early soft tops. It would need to inside the side or did you drill a hole in the tub? The L bracket on the W/S frame was not used on the early soft top but it did have threaded holes. The piece above the doors had the L piece welded on. Using a later soft top door would be a option but you would want to relocate the sliding window frame forward to clear the door opening.

I'll get some this weekend. I just pushed it in to the mount on the interior side of the tub, so the B pillar is not vertical. I need to bend up a section of tubing with the correct bend in it and replace the bottom piece of tubing in that spot.

P1000149.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom