Early Bows - Dimension/Fit Check Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Height from the top of the windshield frame to the top of the bows. Board was resting on the top of all three bows: 3-11/16"

(My wood wasn't straight so I actually measured 3 1/2" from one side and and 3 7/8" from the other.)

I actually measured side to side per Jim's and also flipped the board for two more measurements and still came up with 3 11/16

Door height from the top of the door opening to the opening in the horizontal door surround: 40-15/16"

I actually took two measurements here, one at the windshield and the second as far back as the bottom of the door jam would allow before turning vertical

front 40 5/8" back 40 15/16"

I have to start Turkey stuff now, but I could check the '62 FJ40 's tomorrow for another reference?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone:beer:

Sean,
I'm really surprised that they are so close! :bounce: John is going to get his bows on the early 40 I believe, so we'll have a check against a 40.

If it's not hard for you, the more me have probably the better off we are. :)

Not sure what I'll do with these, if I should attempt to adjust to average, or just be aware of the variation when patterning. :hmm:

I actually measured side to side per Jim's and also flipped the board for two more measurements and still came up with 3 11/16

Mine were 4" and 3 7/8 with the board flipped. But the windshield was installed without the gasket which would decrease tis by about a 1/4".

78 1/2" also

Mine cME TO 79" N ot sure why it's longer. May havev something to do with the windshield not being installed with the gasket. Plus it have later hold downs that were removed and correct ones not installed.

I'm on very slow internet at the cabin so I'm going to wait to post the rest but they are all with in 1/8"

How much adjustment + or - is available with these measurements?.......1/4 inch? more with cumulative measurements?
That might help in finding a good "average".......seeing where all these measurements fall within
a specific adjustment range.....

The more the merrier........for sure.....Glad to see they're pretty close.....

Only two dimensions are really "adjustable".

The rear bow can be raised. I wouldn't be surprised if mine were a little short.

The overall length (the distance between the center and rear bow) can be adjusted. If centered in the slots, they should be able to expand or collapse another 3/4".

John, the windshield gasket may be why yours are a little longer. I had a heck of a time setting them up originally. I have a thin shim between the windshield and dash shim, a thick washer will change the position of the top of the frame a lot.

It doesn't help I don't have a way to hold the windshield in place. The tub had a later style added at some point. I removed them because Georg had promised them to someone else.
windshield hinge.jpg

OK, a few more before I hit the road in the morning.

My side twist locks are in the factory holes..........but it doesn't hurt to check.

Six twist locks on each side.

First lock to body seam: 1-1/8" (to the center - ignore the dimension on the pic)

Body Seam to second lock: 6-1/2" (to the center - ignore the dimension on the pic)

All locks evenly spaced at 7-5/8" center to center.
IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg
IMG_3088.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom