Early - 1967 Wiper Motor Restoration (with pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1967 Fj40 with the independent motors. These are on early- 1967. Mine were starting to make a lot of noise and I was worried they were going to gum up and seize. I have seen threads on these where the poster didn’t take out the gears but rather cleaned them up the best they could. After opening everything up, I realized they were super simple to take apart. I took a ton of pictures and documented everything I could. Here are some of the photos I have and directions on how to disassemble and reassemble your wiper motors.

You will need the following: mineral spirits and brake cleaner for the gear box, QD electric parts cleaner for the motor side, a good white lithium grease (not that BS spray), lots of Q-tips, rags, a few small screwdrivers, and patience. Overall, it’s pretty easy. Just take a ton of pictures and work on one side of your motor at a time. FYI- Lose one of the screws and you’re hosed as they do not exist anymore. Some of you early model FJ40 owners know what I am referring to.

DISASEBLY

1. Here is one of my wipers. They both looked like this. Before I removed anything, I used something to scratch off the grime without scratching the housing. I did NOT use any water near this thing. I used mineral spirits on a rag to get rid of the grime and then used some brake cleaner ON A RAG to remove any left over residue that might have been left.
IMG_5579.JPG

2. Once the outer side was cleaned up, I removed the two side screws (again, don’t lose them) and cleaned the inside of the housing and the motor with the QD electric parts cleaner. This is what it looked like once it was clean.
IMG_5595.JPG

3. When I first removed the backing, here is what it looked like. I used a bunch of q tips to remove the majority of the old waxy grease before I disassembled. At this point I removed that gold looking over that is being held by a single screw. The gears are on posts so when you remove this, nothing will happen.

FullSizeRender.jpg

4. Here you see three gears… that’s it. Note the position of the arm thing before you remove it. I would put it back in the exact same position later. Simply remove the gear on the right by pulling up. Next, the larger one with the arm is tricky but not hard. I am pointing to a spring loaded pin that the gear sits underneath. You need to push it back with a little screw driver while popping it up from the other side. It will take a minute to get the hang of it. Under that gear is a thin washer. DO NOT lose this. The third gear to take out is the one in the middle. Just pull it out and your housing is completely clear.
IMG_5640.JPG

5. This is what mine looked like after I used some soaked q-tips in mineral spirits and gently removed the old grease. I used a rag with brake cleaner the clean the inside of this housing and the 3 gears.

IMG_5611.JPG

Cont'd...

6. See me putting back the little washer that goes under the LARGE GEAR? I didn’t forget. I did put grease on it but I don’t have a picture.
IMG_5616.JPG

7. I put a good amount of grease on the middle gear and all the post the gears sit on. I then put back on the larger gear and worked it back under that pesky spring pin. Note that all gears were greased before I put them back.
IMG_5618.JPG

8. I put the metal cover over the third and final gear and was done with the gears.
IMG_5619.JPG

WIPER POST ARM

9. This is easy. Remove the arm from the sleeve/backing plate and clean out everything well with brake cleaner. Note the copper bushing and washer and the order they come out/go back together. I again used grease on the whole shaft and coated everything well.

IMG_5613.JPG

Continued....

ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR COVERS

10. I cleaned out the old grime with dawn and warm water. They were pretty stiff and brittle. To recondition the rubber, I put them in Dot 3 brake fluid and let them sit for around 24 hours. Once done, I cleaned them with dawn and warm water again to remove any residue.

IMG_5629.JPG

ALL PAINTED WITH RUSTOLEUM GLOSS! I am not super thrilled with the grey but I will prob repaint with a lighter grey.

IMG_5634.JPG

FINAL PRODUCT...
IMG_5637.JPG

I realize this is a long write up so thanks for checking it out! Overall, this is a pretty simple job but just take your time and take lots of photos.

-JV

Looks nice! Does the Dot 3 brake fluid soften the covers up pretty good?

actually it softens up old rubber excellent! i was worried it would beat up the rubber but i carefully monitored it and found no problems.

Great thread on you wiper motors. I did a very similar refurb on my 64 wiper motors a couple of years back. My rubber boots on the electrical terminals were so brittle they just broke into crumbles. Could not find replacements. I finally reconstructed new boots using electrical tape as an "in-place form" and then applied multiple coats of liquid tape (3M brand) to reform the boot. The reconstructed boots turned out better than I had anticipated. Took pics of in-progress refurb. Will post if there is interest.

my compliments on a well-documents process. I cleaned and repainted my 66 motors but didn't want to take that genie out of the bottle by cracking it open. I somehow lost the nut pictured on the shaft in the last pic and can't find a replacement(any sources or ideas?????) I'd prefer not to change the threads but I'm short on options. Yes, rmckay1021 I would like pics as my boots were toast.
thanks gents!

my compliments on a well-documents process. I cleaned and repainted my 66 motors but didn't want to take that genie out of the bottle by cracking it open. I somehow lost the nut pictured on the shaft in the last pic and can't find a replacement(any sources or ideas?????) I'd prefer not to change the threads but I'm short on options. Yes, rmckay1021 I would like pics as my boots were toast.
thanks gents!

I tried finding a replacement nut as well but its pretty much non-existant

Coolerman looking good! Can you PM me with the price of the harness?

Josh

Great write up and great timing. I was just talking about this with John Pardi last week. I've got a couple dozen of those early wiper motors put aside to overhaul some day/year, but have never actually opened one up. Not likely to get to them any time soon, but its still good to know.

It does seem tho that this all pre-supposes that everything on the electrical side is good.

Best

Mark

Josh

Great write up and great timing. I was just talking about this with John Pardi last week. I've got a couple dozen of those early wiper motors put aside to overhaul some day/year, but have never actually opened one up. Not likely to get to them any time soon, but its still good to know.

It does seem tho that this all pre-supposes that everything on the electrical side is good.

Best

Mark

I was lucky that mine were working fine. However, they were never in sync so I only have the driver side with a wiper arm. The passenger side has a mind of its own so I dont run an arm on it.

@jvincig01 thanks for this write up. Very well done! I will need to undertake this process one of these days.......after I locate a couple affordable 67 style wipers.

Thanks,
Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom