E-locker swap wiring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I am swapping axles from locked a 96 LX450 to an unlocked 97 Cruiser. I think I have figured most of the swap out I just want confirmation that I'm doing it right. Both trucks are daily drivers and need to work correctly and be reliable after the swap.

- I know I am missing the wires running from ID1 to BQ1.
- It looks like BQ1 to Bh2 is also missing.

My plan is to run the 4 wires from ID1 straight to Bh2 on the axle harness, and source the correct plug to the axle portion of the harness.

Alternatively, is it easy to remove the harness from BQ1 to Bh2 and leave the donor truck in in good shape with all remaining systems functioning normally? Then I could just run the wire to BQ1.

BQ1.png
BH2.png

All the harnesses needed are easy to access, remove and replace. I had a none locking 80 and replaced all the needed harnesses with factory locking harnesses.

Suppose you'd need to ensure the Lexus and Toyota harnesses have all the same connections for the additional features the Lexus has.

Swap floor and rear under-harnesses.

This will require some comparing diagrams and moving wires around in the plugs for the difference between LX and LC, but that will be minimal and everything will physically plug/bolt in. Most of the differences will have to do with the more complex audio system in the LX.

Will require pulling up the driver's seat, driver's side carpet, b/c-pillar and cargo area trim on both sides. Also be prepared to figure out a way to use picks or a very fine point needle nose plier to cleanly remove the loom clips from the chassis without destroying them.

My experience in this area included installing axles and harnesses from a 97 LX into a 94 LC. When I was done everything worked except for the shifter position backlight, which I could have easily fixed but that light annoyed me anyway so I left it off. The ironic part is I am about to pull all of those harnesses out of the 94 (that I rolled) and stick them back into a 97 LX.. so I'll be putting all of the moved pins and such back where they were.

Swapping the harness is a real pain! IMHO, the easiest/best way is to add the wires needed, we have used flat trailer harness wiring with the correct connectors spliced on. Trailer wiring is available in varying quality, want better than the 22g stuff, like 16g.

I can tell you for a fact that the factory front E locker harness running from the axle up the fender is no longer available. I need that harness to replace a bad one on my truck. When i called this summer, both Toyota and Lexis said that part had been discontinued, with no stock available anywhere in the US. They told me the rear one from the axle to the body was discontinued too, but they said some may still be available in dealer stock.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think I am going to get some trailer wire and some oem pins to run from ID2. Then find Bh2 and splice into the trailer wire for the rear. This seems like it will be less labor intensive and leave the LX with everything functioning.

I can tell you for a fact that the factory front E locker harness running from the axle up the fender is no longer available. I need that harness to replace a bad one on my truck. When i called this summer, both Toyota and Lexis said that part had been discontinued, with no stock available anywhere in the US. They told me the rear one from the axle to the body was discontinued too, but they said some may still be available in dealer stock.

I was able to order a front harness from Low Range Off-Road earlier this year, after they were already unavailable from Toyota. The front harness that they sell is the correct one for an FZJ80. I don't know what application their rear harness is made for.

Toyota E-locker Wiring Harness

MikeB, that's good info to know, from looking at their photo that harness looks just like the factory one. Who knows, maybe they bough up a good supply of NOS harness's before they were discontinued, or they are doing reman's of them. I do have to say, that with vendors like Beno, who can supply you all the factory harness pins, and connectors, making a replacement for the original factory harness wouldn't be that difficult.

MikeB, i found something very odd about the web site you posted that link for. I went there, and i spent some time looking through every part they list for sale for our 80 series trucks. You know what, i couldn't find that harness you posted listed anywhere for the 80 series trucks. Where I found it listed, was in the parts section for the 1979-1995 Toyota Hilux pickup trucks. After finding that info out, I'm not sure if that rear harness they list would work on our trucks. I think it would be best to call them first, before ordering it, to make sure it will work on our trucks. Oh, one more thing, they do say on their web site that these harness's are in fact, real Toyota factory parts.

Subscribed. Need to do this to my 97 Collectors Edition and have been told mine may be somewhat pre wired. Having never done this before, I need some help on seeing if something is already or partially there. Any pics would be great! Thanks!

Subscribed. Need to do this to my 97 Collectors Edition and have been told mine may be somewhat pre wired. Having never done this before, I need some help on seeing if something is already or partially there. Any pics would be great! Thanks!

Your dash is, the floor, rear, and both axle harnesses are still needed - but the pigtails for the switch, ecu, and front axle harness are present. Been there.

I have both axle harness... where are the in between missing connections? from under grommet in rear to what point?

This is what I did and might help you.

Start with post #119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom