Duramax Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have looked through the site searching for any info on this. SO far it is just other landcruiser diesel swaps. What I am interested in is a duramax w/ allison swap. I have heard of Irbis out in Colorado has done something similar to this. Is there any one who has heard of such a thing and what else would need to be considered?
:confused:

Way too much time and money to do this IMHO. It will be hard getting the engine in a fj. Think about this, most people with chevy trucks (pre-duramax) won't even do this do to space issues in their engine compartments. And their engine compartments are bigger than ours. Also have you ever seen the size of the allison..... No way that is fitting in the fj without major cutting and fabbing.

I thought he put a 100 series body on a Chevy/Dmax frame:confused:

Last I checked there was someone in Australia working on this. I think it was Mark's Adapters. They didn't have info on their site but when I emailed them they said they were currently working on one.

Podvin did do the swap into his 100 series along with dual rear axles.

The swap will likely require a totaled truck so that all of the components can be swapped as well as the computer.

The Duramax is a very nice diesel engine built by Isuzu for GM. That is why we choose to work with that engine. Do the body swap on the chassis, that is the easiest way and we have done it a couple of times already but those were our customers trucks and they wanted it that way. The Chevy frame is a C Channel and really tall, that is why i don't like that frame and suspension. Only one good thing form the Chevy trucks and that is the Duramax. The best way to start the project is to buy the whole donor truck, that is what we have done already. Right now you can buy the whole truck from a dealer's auction with some body damage from about $7000 and up. Go on the website called Diesel Place, there is alot of information about Duramax swaps and it has been done many times in other trucks and Suburbans. the Duramax and Allison, they aren't so big but they are tall. That's why most of the trucks only get away with only the body lift, at least 2 inches or floor modifications. Another thing the Allison reads speed from transfer case and if you replce the transfer case it should be the exact same ratio otherwise the transmission goes into limp mode. You can still use the original transfer case but it was two transfer cases that were used in these trucks: NP261 and NP263. The difference between them: floor shift or electric motor shift. This transfer case has slip-yoke design and you have to replace it with a fixed yoke. That is all for now. I will be glad to help you with any questions.

Thanks

Oleg

I read somewhere recently that GM will be introducing a new, smaller and lighter diesel in 2010 (without Isuzu but probably with knowledge gained from the relationship). IIRC the new motor is supposed to be as powerful.

I am anxious to see. Might be an easier swap worth the wait...

I have encountered a couple of Land Cruiser owners (in other forums) from Australia that did a GM diesel swap. In the increasingly Marxist land of Australia, "mommy government" must sign off any such vehicle modification, and the swap has to be as spot-on as a factory install. So, if this is a popular swap in a country with the diesel options that they have, with the strict Nazi government controls that they are subjects of, well then the swap must have merit. Marks4wd ( www.marks4wd.com ) makes the adapter stuff for this conversion.

Awesome, awesome thread!! Keep going :D If I ever get the money I want to drop a dmax into a 45 :D

Awesome, awesome thread!! Keep going :D If I ever get the money I want to drop a dmax into a 45 :D

if you look at the post dates at the top of the last posts, u will see no one has done any work on this for a few years, and probably havent been thinking about updating their work in this thread. :doh:
:cheers:

you better have some monster tires on that thing if you ever go off road. Don't see the duramax being a good swap. Cool factor is good but outside of that..no.

You'll have to swap the entire drivetrain too....to 3/4 or 1 ton stuff.

Yeah...I see its an old post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom