Duffle bag review - Outside Magazine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
Everyone needs a good duffle that can hold up to outdoor abuse. I know for me they end up on the roof rack or in the back of my truck or dragged through the dirt and often get wet so the list of good duffles that fit the bill for me has become relatively short.

Pretty good list here from Outside Magazine. I am a huge fan of my Tepui duffle. It's genuinely been my favorite that I've had (even though I also sell them). Another tough duffle that I like that I think is worth mentioning that wasn't in the article is the ARB storm bags. I personally still prefer the Tepui but the ARB is a good duffle. I know a lot of people like the Northface Basecamp. Its a cool one too and was the top pick by the author of this article (spoiler).
What Are the Best Duffel Bags?

I use the Outdoor products storm duffel set and Rightline gear duffels all the time.
http://www.wayfair.com/Outdoor-Products-Storm-Duffel-Set-217WM-000-OVV1004.html
https://www.amazon.com/Rightline-Gear-100D90-Car-Duffle/dp/B007WR25DY
Neither one has ever let the dust into my clothing, or let it get wet. Pricing is considerably lower as well.

BTW, for great deals on the more expensive duffles, Sierra trading post has the market covered.
Duffel Bags: Average savings of 41% at Sierra Trading Post

For me, I toss them around and they "Stuff" better..

Other than that, the Hard side cases are better.

I rode dual sport motorcycles for years and have the Wolfman Dry Expedition medium duffel. Tough as nails and waterproof. Comes in black and yellow. Sold my motorcycle but kept the bags for camping in the 40, Just my .02 cents.

Wolfman makes awesome stuff, but it's not cheap..

I have used an old Orviss one for years. Purchased a Filson medium size last year, extremely well made and $$$.

I have 2 Patagonia Black Hole 90L bags. I love them. I can wear it as a backpack, which is nice when I am flying with it.

This past weekend I fit my tent, sleeping bag, lantern, clothes, and fleece in one. All my gear except my Paco Pad fit in that bag.

I throw it on the roof when the weather is nice and I need room. I read all the reviews before I bought them and people complain that they are not waterproof, so I keep them in the truck when the weather is bad.

I bought them on sale on Patagonia's website under the "web specials" heading.

As with all Patagonia products, they are overbuilt and hard to destroy, so I plan on having them for a couple decades. Or more.

I still prefer my Tepui duffles to all the others I've tried. They have been used and abused thoroughly, strapped to my rack or thrown in the truck bed in pouring rain, covered in mud and dust and all of my stuff inside is always clean and dry. Been super happy with them.

I'll give the Tepui bags another positive review. The wife and I bought two duffels before we bought our RTT and we love them. We use them on every road trip we take and have never had an issue. I wouldn't hesitate to throw them up on the roof rack if we need the room in the back. We thought they were priced pretty well also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom