driveshaft shop in Auburn/Opelika or Montgomery?

Discussion in 'AL- DixieLand Cruisers' started by Godwin, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Godwin

Godwin Resident Herpetologist SILVER Star

Just replaced both u-joints in the rear d-shaft of my FJ60 and now have a nasty vibration, worse than before replacing the worn out joints. I fear the d-shaft is out of balance. Anyone know of a good shop to take it to have it inspected and corrected?
  2. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

I don't recall the name of the shop but there is a place over in Northport...just across the river from Tuscaloosa.
  3. bhmmapping

bhmmapping SILVER Star

Also not in Montgomery, but I was happy with Birmingham Spring when I had my shafts lengthened/shortened.
  4. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

Jim, you walked by the Fine Garden the other day when around lunch when I was shoving my face with buffet sushi.

The only place I know of between the to areas is the Volvo Truck place in Montgomery on Hiway 31. I called a year or so ago and they told me they'd do it, they just seemed like they didn't want to accept the one-off business. Luckily I got a new DS so I never needed to have it balanced
  5. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

I think this is them: Capital Volvo Truck & Trailer

From site:
    "We have a complete driveline center located at our Montgomery location. Here we do all kinds of driveline work, including driveshaft repair and complete new assemblies. Flywheel resurfacing is also available for all types of vehicles. We are an in-house registered rebuilder for Eaton/Fuller, Spicer and Meritor/Rockwell transmissions and differentials. We rebuild all types of transmissions, rear-ends, and PTO’s at our Montgomery facility as well"

http://www.capitalvolvo.com/driveline.cfm
  6. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

There's no shop in the Opelika/Auburn area that'll do it...
  7. Godwin

Gave 'em a call this morning, shop was not open but the guy I talked to said they could do it. I'll find out on Monday.
  8. werd

werd SILVER Star

I took my rear drive shaft to them and they did a great job. It looked brand new when I picked it up. Very reasonable. The guy that you want to see is named Catfish, seriously.
  9. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

How much Werd? I'll need two done custom length when I go manny tranny and toybox.
    And did they allow for thicker wall? Details holmes! Price?
  10. Godwin

I met Catfish this morning, he took once glance at the shaft and said "Toyota". From my brief conversation I think he knows his stuff. Catfish said that they are now the only driveshaft shop in Montgomery after a couple of others shut down, and I think he said they acquired a bunch of equipment from the others closing doors. I bet Catfish can handle about anything; most of the shafts there were huge. He can also do diffs and gear cases/boxes on the side.

Quoted price to balance was < $50. I'll pick it up in a few days.
  11. Godwin

Picked up the driveshaft this morning and it looks good. My u-joint installation had to be tweaked a bit, the shaft was straightened, balanced, cleaned, and painted, all for $52. Installation will be later today.

12. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

Wow!
    Looks like I'll be taking mine there when the time comes to make custom length after the H42/toybox
  13. Godwin

Here's the $$ breakdown:

balance driveshaft - $40
    EPA disposal charge - 2.50. Probably a standard fee for the use of chemicals, etc. The shaft came back painted.
    Misc. labor - 9.50.