Driveline clunk while braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck clunks while braking.. It's rhythmic and coincides with my speed. I don't feel it in the steering at all. All my tie rod ends are new and the truck had power steering. Any thoughts?

They seem fine to me... The clunk happens even with the clutch pushed in too.

Could worn rotors/stuck brakes be part of the problem?

Could worn rotors/stuck brakes be part of the problem?

What about bushings in the suspension? I've seen trucks that clunk as the weight shift during breaking when the shackle bolt is just bouncing around in the mount with a wasted bushing. Worth a look, right? You've got a lot of bushings in the spring eyes and shackles.

is the noise while in neutral too? with foot off the clutch? while the truck is stopped or does it have to be moving? does it change speed with vehicle speed or engine rpm?

I would pull the wheels and check the brakes, especially the rear. Make sure front calipers and rear wheel cylinders don't move and everything looks good, check the wheels make sure the holes in the wheels are not getting oval-ed. I would expect issues with the drive train would be much more likely to show up also while accelerating or letting off the gas while in gear.

Thank you for all the replies. I did solve the issue. I had a wheel alignment done recently and the tech didn't tighten all the lugs on the driver side front wheel, causing the wheel to thump against the hub once the two bolts he actually tightened worked loose.. I went to pull the tires off this morning to inspect the front end and was able to unscrew a couple of the lugs by hand. Luckily, the threads weren't badly damaged as I didn't drive far, but still.. There will be some seriously angry phone calls made today. Again, thank you to all those who replied- I always appreciate this forum's advice.

Could have been pretty bad, thats for sure. Definitely wore the holes on my wheel a little bit. Just going to have to keep checking that side regularly from now on.

If you don't get a new wheel for some reason, I'd recommend checking the torque on you lug nuts regularly until you are sure they are holding tight (or put a drop of paint across the joint of the nut and the wheel and check it periodically).

I will be definitely getting a new wheel. They are factory grey steelies that came on the truck. I pulled both front wheels off today and the passenger side seemed fine, but regardless, I cleaned up the threads and made a mark with a grease pen across the each lug and will be checking them periodically. The truck is my daily driver and I can't really afford for it to have down time due to someone else's carelessness... Very frustrating indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom