Dreaded P0401 EGR on...and off...and on...and off... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A year or so after head gasket replacement, and getting the head cleaned and having the EGR port cleaned out, my Lexus finally turned on the 'ol pop the hood and make sure the engine is still there' light.

Scanner shows Insufficient EGR flow, but the truck runs fine so I ignored it for a week or so. And, it turned off by itself!!! But, just a few weeks later, it came back on again. Same code, same results. After a few drive cycles it turns off.

Its currently off (just turned off yesterday) but i figure it will be back on shortly. I know there are three main components to the system, but with these symptoms, can I skip replacing all of them and hoping it fixes the problem and focus on what is causing it?

Truck currently sits at 163k miles, the only modification Ive made to the engine is Magnaflow Y-pipe and front cat. Its well maintained with all factory plugs wires etc etc etc, runs only premium fuel and gets driven daily. Mostly in town stop and go miles. Weekend warrior when I get to beat it up on the trails..

Thank you for any insight or suggestions!!!!!

FSM details the list of things to check unless you want to just throw $ at it...

FWIW I had the same code come & go over a period of a few years till it finally stuck on. Was the EGR VSV.

cheers,
george.

Mine would go off/on and it was a TB port to the modulator that was getting clogged

FWIW I had the same code come & go over a period of a few years till it finally stuck on. Was the EGR VSV.
Exactly the same for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom