drain location for standard 5' shower/tub? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
Basement is pre-plumbed for a bathroom. I'm framing the walls that will form the bathroom. I plan on installing a standard 5' shower/tub combo. How far should the center of the tub drain be from the wall at the head of the shower? Distance from the side wall?

Thanks.

The distance varies depending on the width of the tub and it can be left, right or center. Pick your tub first and then frame it.

On a standard tub the drain will be about an 1 1/2 inches off the frameing behind the drain. Like Pinhead said the center will depend on the tub. Tub traps connect below the overflow not the drain. You can get rough in specs for most tubs online. Kohler Roughin Specs

Kevin

yeah its tough, you usually get a choice of width. as said above either buy the one you want or decide on it and get the dimensions.

On a standard tub the drain will be about an 1 1/2 inches off the frameing behind the drain. Like Pinhead said the center will depend on the tub. Tub traps connect below the overflow not the drain. You can get rough in specs for most tubs online.

Kevin

Kevin -
Thanks! On another site I had read 1.5" from the wall at the head of the tub but kept thinking that couldn't be right. I hadn't been considering that the trap was below the back of the overflow rather than the drain. What's even better is that the center of the pre-plumbed drain sticking out of my basement floor is exactly 1.5" from where my wall needs to go to accomodate a 5' tub. Geez it's so much more fun when you don't have to bust up concrete.

:beer:
Jason

...the center of the pre-plumbed drain sticking out of my basement floor is exactly 1.5" from where my wall needs to go to accomodate a 5' tub.

Is there a trap already installed?

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom