Builds dougbert's future 350 swap: How much torque is too much? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent some time this morning dodging snow flakes and working on the PS frame rail.

1st took off the gas tank evap line
2nd took off the gas line and the return line as a set.
Tried to clean off as much dirt and grease as possible, still more to remove. Original color of the lines is a green - didn't know that

then pulled the bolts for the rear brake line, but did not disconnect.
Found that I could pull it away far enough to get room to clean under it.

Then ground half the frame on the inside and then wire brushed it, followed by some Metal Blaster. Hope to start painting tomorrow
morning.

Pic below of the front inside of the rail, ground down to metal

2013-10-30_10-52-40_113.jpg

Last edited:
Finished painting the PS frame rail, now to reinstall the fuel lines, etc.

Question: I am getting ready to paint the front fenders and radiator front body mount. The connection points between the parts, did not have any paint on them, but rust was forming.

Should I paint or should I NOT paint those connection points, in order to allow for a ground throughout the body?

As in paint everything except for those boltup points on the fenders?

thx in advance

dougbert

Finally

pulled the PS rear inner C channel - man, that is A LOT of work to do so.

air-hammer
drill (admittedly need new, sharper drills)
big hammer
chisel

and time

lots of rust

NEXT: DS rail

dougbert

2013-11-08_20-01-39_604.jpg

2013-11-08_20-01-44_544.jpg

well spent 3 hrs this morning getting pins out of the shackle/frame bracket, cleaning out the rust and the like and finally painting most of the PS rear rail.

Note the shackle just hanging in mid-air - didn't know it would stay that way. Anyway, 1st coat of RustBullet applied on surface and into cracks. 2nd coat tonight, and black tomorrow. Then will then bolt the body mount and the shackle back to the frame rail with grade 8 bolts. Later we will weld the nuts to the frame, and then 'box' the C channel with a reverse C channel and weld those together. That will allow for bolt removal from fixed nuts inside the box.

Once I bolt down the #5 body mount, I will remove the #6 body mount, de-rust it and paint the tail part of the rail as well. Then move to the DS and repeat the whole operatoin once more. But the frame will be clean of rust (on the outside at least)

I have spent several posts on this because it was (and will be for the DS) difficult.

As pointed out above, I found that a couple of titanium drill bits really cut nice holes quickly, and with that hole help collapse the pins more easily. A good punch and good hammer work it well.

I found the bottom of the C channel to have "much" rust pits along it length. Hopefully, this work I am doing will increase the life of the frame.

Also began the re-install of the fuel lines. After cleanup, I found them to be painted a green color, so I re-applied some more green to the lines. You can see them in the first pic, on the left along the rail

As for the engine, I will get back to that shortly, when it gets colder. A snow storm is expected tomorrow and saturday/sunday - darn.
I did order a Blaster 2 Coil, another rocker arms. I am slowly getting the engine parts ordered and in the "parts bay"

dougbert

2013-11-14_11-40-23_923.jpg

2013-11-14_11-40-36_425.jpg

Last edited:
Final black coat on the rail

big difference from its original state of rust

dougbert

update: a foot of snow just hit us this morning (Nov 16th) locking out any more major body work

dougbert

2013-11-15_09-50-51_39.jpg

Last edited:
I had some warm sunny weather a week or so ago, so I cleaned up my two front fenders and the front cross sheet below the radiator area.

My truck came with Herculiner on the lower half of the truck so I have just continued with adding touch up to the places it falls off (Herculiner is notorious for such "fall off").

Since the fenders are off for the engine rebuild and body restore, I cleaned them up (ZEP cleanser) and wire brushed up the rusty parts of the fenders (not very bad) and painted the inside of the fender with ZERO Rust then with some Rustolem Rust Gloss paint.

I painted the outside of the fender (over the Herculiner) with Rust Bullet Black shell.

I did mask off grounding points.
The fenders look so much better than before, with the scratches, faded paint and minor rust and just plain dirty.
Decided to do black engine compartment: the firewall (still need to clean and paint), wheel housings (waiting for sand blast), front radiator mount
plate (also waiting for sand blasting) and then these fenders.
Glossy black on the inside

Pic 1, driver's side
Pic 2, passenger side

dougbert

2013-11-25_10-25-14_196.jpg

2013-11-25_10-25-20_367.jpg

Last edited:
Question for those car painters out there:

I will be painting the top half of the 60 with Montsaliner paint, but need to prime it first.

Options:

I have heard of commercial primer PPG Delfleet Essential (from the JonesysOffRoad thread - the Predator) as a primer but can't find a place to get it. I will try a paint business next week.

I also know Zero Rust (black) is a good primer

or other options

With not much experience, really in car painting, I am asking others for possible options/opinions. I need to buy paint sprayer as well.

thanks

dougbert

First item is the hatchback pictured below, stripped and ready for priming. Got this from a mudder in Kentucky

2013-12-08_16-43-58_251.jpg

mmmm, no suggestions on the primer.
Either I asked the question in the wrong place or no one with the knowledge read it.

Anyway,

As displayed in the pics in this thread, my rig is OUTSIDE in a field at Jake's (uglyoinker) place and this past week received 8 inches of snow with the cold as well (-5).

Following Tom's advice (alaska60) of getting a parachute and draping it over the rig and heating it with a propane forced air fan, I went ahead and did it.

I got a 24' chute, but wish I had gotten the 33' or so, because I had to connect some polyester material to it with safety pins, in order to bridge the big gap on the front.

Tom's rig was a FJ-40 and mine is a longer FJ-60 and mine is on 6 inches of ramp lift under the tires.

So I fired it up this morning and the chute bellowed out fine and in 15 minutes raised the temps. Therefore, this saturday I can spend a few hours underneath the rig, cleaning the bottom of the body in prep for painting it - and it will be warm enough to do so. Both cleaning AND painting.

and yes I will have a CO monitor in there as well

Pic 1 - you can see the propane heater behind the DS front tire. Also the black ployester sheet clipped to the chute in the front.
Pic 2 - PS side view. See the "puffy" chute?

it really works!

dougbert

2013-12-10_11-21-32_172.jpg

2013-12-10_11-21-47_905.jpg

Last edited:
Body:

Primer story: Going with the Monstaliner Epoxy primer that they recommend under Monstaliner. Ordered both, and will paint the rear hatch and tail gate. Might work on some doors too, in my basement.

I am going to put Zero Rust and Rust Bullet Shell black on one wheel well and Monstaliner Chassis Saver with Monstaliner Black on the other, to allow comparison between the two on the same truck.

On saturday, spent time under the rig/parachute and got VERY HOT working in there. 20 degrees outside, but nice inside. Had to turn the heat down and then finally off after 20 minutes. Just used the fan to blow in some clean (non-dusty) air as I cleaned off the underbody under the driver's seat.

I will be taken some time off all next week and will spend several days finishing that cleanup, and maybe the DS C channel removal.

Engine:

I counted my engine rocker arms in the parts bin and need to just order one more (How did I miss count?)

dougbert

Doug
I know what you mean about working in the cold, it dropped below 70 here this week, and I had to change the rear pinion seal on mine. Brrrrrr!

You have a great idea there with the tent, maybe you can rent time in it to passing hunters to warm up!! The frame and underside is looking great in the pics, keep it up!

Are you taking the inner C Channel out just to do rust mitigation under it? Should I be looking at yanking mine when I do my custom rear bumper?

More pics, and get that V8 together!!

John

Doug
I know what you mean about working in the cold, it dropped below 70 here this week, and I had to change the rear pinion seal on mine. Brrrrrr!

You have a great idea there with the tent, maybe you can rent time in it to passing hunters to warm up!! The frame and underside is looking great in the pics, keep it up!

Are you taking the inner C Channel out just to do rust mitigation under it? Should I be looking at yanking mine when I do my custom rear bumper?

More pics, and get that V8 together!!

John

LOL

definitely taking out the C channel to get rid of the rust, then we shall put another C channel back on BUT in the opposite direction forming a "box" frame, and then a 2" receiver along with the rear bumper. I will pay Jake to do that.

Yeah, more pics coming and I will do some work on the V8, will be taking off 1.5 weeks over Christmas, I haven't done that for a couple of years, that much vacation in a roll - I need it.

and fun times for the truck

dougbert

The pics are for you John.
Also got a 3HP mini starter from UPS, parts are slowing coming in.

I spent some hours under the rig and under the green-chute. Nice and warm (and over warm at times. AND Dry, but dusty so broke out my old respirator instead of a cheap mask. Brushed down under the DS front seat. On monday will continue to work my way back brushing off the undercoating and the dirt AND the grease.

For those with experience with the fuel system: There is a fuel line in the rear axle hump that goes across the hump twice. What does that do? It is VERY rusty and I will pull it out and clean it up, as well as the floor of the body. I am on a serious rust hunt, to clean RUST out and paint it over, everywhere I can.

Anyone know what the cross fuel line is for? Thanks

pic 1: looking up from the ground up to the DS foot well. Painted floor on the left, cleaned on the right. Firewall on top (you can see the brake booster from the bottom on the upper right) - yet to be cleaned. I will probably just cleanse the rest of the firewall later with PEP 205 and not brush it off. Then paint it.
pic 2: foot well of DS. A couple of years ago, I had a body shop fix the "holely" floor since it was very rusted due to raingutter leaking. You can see the cut out section. I want to seal that up better and then do the Rust Bullet cover.

pics 3 & 4: shots of the DS under body working my way toward the rear.
Pic 4 shows the dirt/grease yet to be done. Never have done such body work before. Yet another skill set being developed in an old guy.

definitely can see the difference between painted areas, cleaned areas and ares YET to be cleaned. I think it is looking better

dougbert

2013-12-21_15-36-08_469.jpg

2013-12-21_15-36-15_208.jpg

2013-12-21_15-36-20_0.jpg

2013-12-21_15-36-24_497.jpg

Last edited:
Doug its looking REALLY clean! Thanks for the pics! I think you are going to push me outside during my vacation next week. I really need to get motivated again. Since my last trip to Brazil, I have been playing "catch up" with work and my personal stuff, no time for the cruiser.

Did you wire wheel everything or did you get a sand/ abrasive blaster?

I think your extra fuel line might be the tank vent line or the return line off the stock fuel pump. Both run all the way to the engine compartment, one to the charcoal canister, other to the pump. I think anyway

Its almost Christmas, I thought you were heading inside when it got cold? You got some thick blood up there!

Keep it up!

Thanks for the encouragement. I now can the see the "end of the truck" and the wire brushing will decrease.

Yes it is cold, but the "bug" is still there and with the doubert-chute it actually warm "down under" even with snow outside. It takes some work to brush it and I even enjoy the cool breeze w/o the heater of the fan.

I am planning to wire brush it all as much as I can reach. Areas I cannot reach, I will use ZEP 205 (reference in prior post) and CLEAN it as well as I can, then paint it all.

I have 2 fuel lines (larger than the 3rd, which is the vapor draw line from the vapor separator). One is the draw and the 2nd is the return. They are back in place now, awaiting new fuel hoses. Gotta take the tank out, to clean above it and paint that area as well.

I have a fuel pump on order (for a Skylark) that does the fuel return. I think I am going to order a backup as well - maybe on several parts, a backup larder is wise.

Below are pics of my early Christmas presents to myself - the sand blaster finished with my job:

2 Front wheel wells. I think I will use Zero Rust as a DTM primer and then the Rust Bullet Shell Black for a top coat or two. Notice the "engine plumbing charts" still on the fender. I need to wire brush those off, as that Engine is long gone.

Front end Left and Right Radiator Holders still connected to the bottom radiator holder, again Zero Rust as primer and Rust bullet Shell Black for top coat

Bottom Skid plate - Will use All Rust bullet on this one

Last Pic: Spare tire holder and chain (left in pic), with the Tranny Mount (center), both will have All Rust Bullet applied, and then the Center/Top Radiator support (right) with Zero Rust and Rust Bullet Black shell.

So they ALL will be shiny black when done. The whole engine area will be black, as well as the underbody.

Will take AFTER pics for these as well.

Will be making my basement the paint room, as we have a large egress window with exhaust fans. Been using that to clear the paint vapors out of the basement, from the Concrete/Garage Paint being applied to the floor and walls in the past weeks.

Several days off to work on these. A few hours each day will be my recreation vacation this year.
I just HAVE TO get this rig done by June 2014 - Got a Family reunion with the kids and grandkids and I NEED this thing working right, to haul stuff and go places up in Oregon.
Yep, yep, yep, that's my goal

dougbert

2013-12-23_20-41-10_563.jpg

2013-12-23_20-42-13_350.jpg

2013-12-23_20-40-59_625.jpg

2013-12-23_20-41-37_463.jpg

Last edited:
Snowball effect in full..... effect. haha

Looks like fun!!

THAT describes it to T

real snow and its balling all over.

But the number of parts on these rigs IS FINITE! Right? There IS an end, right?

dougbert

Doug, you'll be driving a brand new truck to that reunion, they way you are going!

if you want me to look at that fuel line, lemme know what, I can crawl out there and take some pics, I am in town for a while.

John

Doug, you'll be driving a brand new truck to that reunion, they way you are going!

if you want me to look at that fuel line, lemme know what, I can crawl out there and take some pics, I am in town for a while.

John

that has come to me, late at night, in the dark.

After thinking about how much I have and will lay on the table for this thing.......I determined just a bit more $$ and time, will make it last a WHOLE lot longer if I made it good now. '
As a software geek, I enjoy putting my hands on this project. The journey is more than half of the fun.

One thing bothers me though...................I have been eying a FJ-40 as a next project.....Oh boy, let's get back to that LATER

dougbert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom