Builds dougbert's future 350 swap: How much torque is too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The burned front bumper would not polish up, so I took a grinder to it and ground off chrome all over it to make it ready to accept Chassis Saver paint. Then this morning I painted the first coat on it. This will be temporary bumper until I save up enough for an ARB bumper and winch in the future. After the 2nd coat I will spray on a 3rd coat of some protection paint.

dougbert

IMG_20160829_122403_037.jpg

IMG_20160829_122400_659.jpg

Truck is looking real good. Any difference seen in the coatings, colorwise, when only doing a quart at a time?

not really

I was watching for that, but after the fact, I can't determine where the "edges" were.. I try to make sure I use all the color each time, consistently. Seems to be okay. Its not a perfect paint job, but for my requirements it fits just fine. I do need to run a hand block with sand paper over it to get rid of small particles/bumps.

Last edited:
OEM bumper installed, but painted black and the melted end rubber pieces removed. Debating whether to paint chrome bolts or not

dougbert

IMG_20160901_112834_939.jpg

Getting ready for Jake to finish the left rear quarter panel and install the 4x4labs rear bumper

here all the cancer was cut out

IMG_20161015_172255_203[1].jpg

rear frame rails, he need to box them in, but do so that access to bolts are still there

IMG_20161015_172304_964[1].jpg

pic of the quarter panel (actually 1/8th panel) and the dog leg)

IMG_20161015_172321_177[1].jpg

and here are the 4x4Labs wings (on the left) and bumper and cross tubes (on the right)

IMG_20161015_172327_938[1].jpg

Found out what was ailing me after surgery last Oct. Since Jan, I have been feeling bad. I think things are going to improve.

Pasted from what I posted on my FB page:

Well this past week has been scary for our family as I had to be taken to the hospital. For the past 6 weeks I have had a pain develop on my left side below my ribs near the left kidney. This could have been a death event for me if we hadn't gone to the ER (long story on why not - well, no insurance since being laid off last October and then having surgery on the 28th of Oct under the old medical insurance.)

Turns out I developed a very severe infection of strep, not throat but a strain B. During the operation on Wed over 1 Liter of abscess material was drained. The next 2 days another Liter drained. Just today about 100 mL has drained.

I was a very sick fellow. And still am. I am on my 4th night here. Maybe 7 to 8 days total with home IV antibiotic for several more days. Then oral antibiotics.

I have dropped 40 lbs in 5 weeks.

Started a new job on Feb 27th, but was in severe pain.

So I hope things will improve

doug

Sounds like the worst is over and you beat it. Good Job! I keep hearing about these strange infections, my friend got sick then paralyzed from the neck down, they found an infection of some sort on his spine. Ate right into his spinal cord.

One day at a time,

home from hospital after 7 days. Now 14 days on IV antibotic

Doug, things will improve. Keeping a positive outlook is super important when times get tough. Patience.

You got this D.... If you are getting out of the hospital that means things are improving, stay ahead of everything and don't "tough it out." Wife recently did that over the holidays and ended up she had a bad case of walking pneumonia that turned into pleurisy (sp?) in her lungs on the right side so she couldn't lift her arm above 90* straight out. She just kept saying she didn't have time to be sick, but like project management if you don't have time to take care of it right the first time you better have time to take care of it again, and again, and again.

I have asked Jake to finish the quarter panels and the bumper. Need to get this rig running as my wife's Pathfinder is barely holding on.

Back at work now, still draining abscess but much less. Feeling so much better now

lots of little things to finish\

dougbert

4 weeks now still on IV antibiotics - seeing doctor tomorrow.
still draining some 45 ML of yuck a day, but the color has changed from green to pink and now yellow. Feel much better but this dog dirt is still inside of me

dougbert

Well went 7 weeks on IV Antibiotics and now it has been 2 weeks on oral antibiotics (500 mg, 2 pills, 3 times a day - huge dose). Should get the drain out tomorrow or tuesday.

Have been spending what time I have on the 5.3L in the pickup. Need to get that going, then will get back to this build. Still waiting on Jake to do some welding for me.

dougbert

Well went 7 weeks on IV Antibiotics and now it has been 2 weeks on oral antibiotics (500 mg, 2 pills, 3 times a day - huge dose). Should get the drain out tomorrow or tuesday.

Have been spending what time I have on the 5.3L in the pickup. Need to get that going, then will get back to this build. Still waiting on Jake to do some welding for me.

dougbert
Just read the last page here and I wanted to say something... I'm an LPN and I push meds at a rehab/long term care facility. Be vigilant, if the meds don't seem to be working keep pushing. You might need another culture swab and sensitivity on the drainage. It takes time to clear out deep infections. Water, vitamins/minerals, healthy foods and TONS of yogurt (no sugar) and really good probiotics (not sure if you have a natural store there but I can link you a few I have that are really great for the gut that you can get online). Last the NH you need after long courses of antibiotics is c-diff.
Focus on you and being healthy. Sounds like your on the way. I actually came across your thread yesterday cuz I was searching carb throttle valve bushings. Of course once I clicked on the topic my ph couldn't pinpoint me so I only read a few posts.
I'll come back when I have more time and check it out.

Good luck man! One day at a time!
Felicity

Just read the last page here and I wanted to say something... I'm an LPN and I push meds at a rehab/long term care facility. Be vigilant, if the meds don't seem to be working keep pushing. You might need another culture swab and sensitivity on the drainage. It takes time to clear out deep infections. Water, vitamins/minerals, healthy foods and TONS of yogurt (no sugar) and really good probiotics (not sure if you have a natural store there but I can link you a few I have that are really great for the gut that you can get online). Last the NH you need after long courses of antibiotics is c-diff.
Focus on you and being healthy. Sounds like your on the way. I actually came across your thread yesterday cuz I was searching carb throttle valve bushings. Of course once I clicked on the topic my ph couldn't pinpoint me so I only read a few posts.
I'll come back when I have more time and check it out.

Good luck man! One day at a time!
Felicity

thanks for the words

and I am off of antibiotics now and my wife is stuffing me for of probiotics daily. Infection gone but not much strength which is understandable as I got run over by a Mac Truck, so to speak

dougbert

Glad to hear you are on the mend dude. Keep at it, take your time and everything will come back. Hell my leg is still an "issue" of sorts. While I am mobile and able to do 95% of the stuff I used to, strength and endurance is not there at all and, days like today after hard impact workout, it is aching like crazy.

I have neglected this vehicle! Oh my!

well I have been doing radiation for the prostate cancer and finishing up some major and minor tasks for the pickup. I WILL return to this rig. I am still around

Glad you're doing better.

Glad you are doing better... health and well-being always take priority, even over out beloved Land Cruisers.

health and well-being always take priority, even over out beloved Land Cruisers

Ditto this....While you're mending keep thinking about what you want done to the Cruiser and how you're going to do it (make plans). Motivation helps the healing....keep at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom