Builds dougbert's future 350 swap: How much torque is too much? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well, I was not going to post much more on the rear brakes, but I ran into an interesting situation

I had ordered ordered from Oreillys, the brake spring hardware kit, good for both sides. It had in it springs, pins, shoe retainers, etc
BUT the kit did NOT match what I pulled off the axle.

The (wrong) hardware kit looks like the following

17236.jpg

what I pulled off the axle looked like the following

17253.jpg

WRONG-my assumption: The former is for the 1981 to 1987 FJ60
RIGHT: The former is for 1976 to 8/1980 TLC rear brakes. Got this info from SOR

WRONG-my assumption: while the latter is for 1988 to 1990 FJ62
RIGHT: The later is for 8/1980 to 1998, both FJ60 and FJ62

The stuff that was install IS for FJ60 and FJ-62

SO I am returning my (incorrect) kit I have, and will install the proper FJ60/FJ62 kit. It has all the springs that were in what I took apart. I will also inform Oreillys and Autozone

My summary: I failed to look at SOR for my parts (thought they would be expensive) and ordered from OReillys.

Well, my experience is that the Oreillys parts were more expensive than SOR (including SOR's shipping)

I should have ordered:
SOR 081-105-LH
SOR 081-105-RH

for $34 each and been ahead - Doh!

dougbert

Last edited:
No problem John. I need these things to happen to me, to keep me humble and submissive. See below for more info.

Everything from the kit went together well - EXCEPT for the shoe hold down pin

here is the picture of the one I took off (on the top and dirty - yes, the head is gone because I needed to snap it off to get the drum off) and on the bottom, two different size pins from the kit

IMG_20140905_142215_135.jpg

The biggest one from the kit would not fit. I could NOT get the spring to compress sufficiently to tie it down. :mad:
I went back to the parts store and found a Chevy hardware kit for $5 and used its two pins. They are longer than
what I took out.

Will that make a difference? It is longer by the same amount the kit pin is shorter than what I took out.
I also found that I could NOT find a source for pins except by buying a kit. All 4 parts stores in town said the same thing. [UPDATE: See SOR info below]

below is a pic of assembly back together, with lots of scratches trying to get the spring back on, with the old parking cable and the chevy hold down pins:

IMG_20140905_100217_817.jpg

The shoe holding springs are snug, but not super tight. Will that be a problem?

It also would have been nice to replace the parking brake cable with a new one, as the covering on my old one is very "broken" up.

UPDATE: found a cable source at SOR # 081-50A for $15 each, new
found a brake shoe pin source at SOR # 081-17c for $1.68 each (club price)

ALSO, found at SOR, that the kit Oreillys and Autozone have for the 81-86 TLC is really for 1976-8/1980 rear drum brakes,
where the brake shoes are top and bottom instead of forward and back.
Their picture matches what I was given incorrectly. refer to SOR page 081. The spring # is 081-16

SUMMARY: I should have just ordered SOR 081-105-LH and 081-105-RH for $68 + SH and been done with it and even cheaper. These include the parking brake cable, which I still lack, as well as the the correct pins.

rear brake kit.jpg

More TUITION, :(

And my drum was delivered this afternoon.
Ordered new cables and new hold down pins from SOR. When they get here, will return that Chevy kit.

SOME GOOD NEWS: Moving the engine to the barn tomorrow and next Wednesday, Jake will be installing the engine/powertrain and fab'ing mounts. FINALLY.
In the process, I will be JAFO and gopher - maybe if he lets me. lol

dougbert

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the SOR P/N... When I redid my brakes I was going to replace all that but just ended up cleaning up what I had and going for new shoes. Next time around for shoe replacement I will get all this crap!!

This may not be any help to you but I ordered all my brake parts from onlineautoparts.com.au I am unsure if they ship overseas (I bought through their eBay store). All parts were correct for the year model and prices were great. I paid the extra 2-5 dollars on most things for next day express delivery. May be worth a shot??

This may not be any help to you but I ordered all my brake parts from onlineautoparts.com.au I am unsure if they ship overseas (I bought through their eBay store). All parts were correct for the year model and prices were great. I paid the extra 2-5 dollars on most things for next day express delivery. May be worth a shot??

Thanks, good info to store in this thread.
I have all my parts here or in flight now.

On work done today, we (with much thanks jake) moved the engine from my man-cave to the Cruizer barn, so here it is on the deck there:

IMG_20140906_174455_933[1].jpg

It is good to have others (5 others) peek and poke on one's work, it helps the product improve:

2 items came up:

1) I used a cork gasket for the oil pan. Jake found a hole in the broken gasket. OKKKAAAAY. I was urged to get a Fel Pro OS34510T 1 piece, all blue rubber gasket. Okay, check
2) That cheap steel chrome oil pan will rust (and I had that thought in the back of my mind when I got it). So, I ordered a brushed ALUMINUM one.

The pan will get here thursday, so the install day will move later in the week.
I can get the gasket via OReillys here locally

Other comments were: Sure is shiny. LOL.
And: You built that from scratch? YOU?
'I Like the valve covers - how much were they?'
You painted the water pump?
Sure is shiny - okay already, I will get moab red covered soon enough

Hey, its MINE and I will get what I want --- but good input is appreciated. ;)

dougbert

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm
You sure are weird Doug.

Doug- I ended up with the Felpro one piece. Much harder to do under the truck. I think I bought studs instead of bolts when I did it. And ditto on the chrome oil pan. Find an old steel one and throw some paint on it.

Doug- I ended up with the Felpro one piece. Much harder to do under the truck. I think I bought studs instead of bolts when I did it. And ditto on the chrome oil pan. Find an old steel one and throw some paint on it.

well, its not in the truck yet. Will hoist on cherry picker and do it there. I like the rigid nature of Aluminum pan and how it is less likely to bend like steel at each bolt hole and the bolt is tightened. Just should have known back in the day. All tuition once more.

thanks

dougbert

Just received the SOR parts (hold down pins and 2 parking brake cables.

The SOR pins are slightly longer than what I removed from the axle, but much shorter than the chevy pin I temporarily put in there.

So, the SOR kits looks good to go for future use - wish I had used them in the first place.

IMG_20140910_110458_810.jpg

dougbert

Last edited:
Finished the brakes today, all 4 wheels - finally

Here's the final on the left rear

IMG_20140913_163318_125[1].jpg

My new oil pan FINALLY got to Salt Lake City yesterday, but won't be delivered til monday afternoon, 5 days late due to I-15 wash out

UPDATE: 15 Sep 2014 - Has arrived at my house. Will install tonight

oil pan.JPG

Last edited:
I bought the oil pan off of ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/130744516084?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It comes with longer bolts, but the heads are metric (13mm heads) instead of SAE, so I am getting replacement bolts which are 7/16" head and 1/2" heads

14 1/4"x20x3/4"
4 5/16"x18x1"

The gasket is thick and the pan lip is thick and the very hard to get standard bolts started (which come with the fel pro gasket) AND they don't get enough bite to tighten down properly.

I had picked up a FelPro OS34510T gasket. It fit my original steel chrome pan, but not the new Aluminum one.
Went back to OReillys and returned that gasket and found a Fel Pro Os34509T with a thinner front end gasket. That worked fine with the new pan.

I also moved the dip stick from passenger side over to the driver's side in switching to the Aluminum pan.

Pic of 'hanging' gasket and pan. You can see the wide gap at the blue gasket. Also notice the blue "clips" on the front and rear, where the 5/16" bolts go. They squeeze to release, but they hold the gasket and pan up while you get the bolts started. Never seen those before. Wonderful plastic 'studs'. I like Fel Pro.

IMG_20140915_185355_475[1].jpg

And with the bolts tightened down and pan back on.

IMG_20140915_202353_017[1].jpg

Tomorrow morning will attach transmissions to the engine, ready to install on Wednesday - I HOPE at least.

dougbert

Last edited:
You HOPE? What's that supposed to mean Doug?

You HOPE? What's that supposed to mean Doug?

It means given my recent series of events, I will probably find I have the wrong shaft that won't fit into the flywheel, or some such mismatch.
Even with my planning and research, I have made some foul ups here and there. Not all, but each one has delayed "The Day". lol.

Look at the oil pan, the wrong gasket, etc. Each required some fixing. Just lowering my expectations and poking fun at myself.

dougbert

Isn't building cars fun!?

This morning I did get all the longer bolts installed, Ranger breather plugs replaced with brass tube spigots and the engine and the transmissions together after some pushing, lifting, sweating, bleeding and some mumbling, etc.

IMG_20140916_084134_094.jpg

All buttoned up, ready to install. Hard to see front of motor due to sun, but I am not going to move it until tomorrow:

IMG_20140916_113842_253.jpg

IMG_20140916_193709_216[1].jpg

IMG_20140916_193908_758[1].jpg

IMG_20140916_113921_165[1].jpg

It has taken more time than I expected to get the two parts together and all things ready.
I am expecting some interesting work tomorrow, as I become the gopher for 'the master' jake. He has installed several. No worries though, it will all work and will be great learning experience.

The power train is ready to go.
The rig is ready to go.
Wheel the rig in, and jake will do his mojo magic. I guess I am a bit excited for this.

dougbert

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom