Door Lock Actuator Replacement (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the great information. I just fixed my rear door lock actuator using the excellent instructions from above.
A couple of notes that may answer some questions that I saw posted here.

• My vehicle is a 2000 Land Cruiser.
  • I was able to remove the door handle connecting rod by rotating the yellow retaining clip 90 degrees and then used a pair of needle nose pliers to compress the tip of the rod with plastic mechanism that connects to the door handle (a crappy description, I know).
  • To open up the Actuator housing I placed the unit in the oven at 220 F for about 15 minutes. The plastic should be rated to at least 120 C (250 F) so that gave me some margin.
  • The house came apart pretty easily using a flat wide screwdriver to break the welds.
  • The motor had the brass collar with flats to drive the worm gear. The shaft length in 10mm while the brass collar is 5mm.
  • The worm gear easily slipped on and off the brass collar.
  • I reassembled the housing using several spots of epoxy where the original weld was. Hopefully, it will hold and I will still be able to disassemble it without trashing it in the future.

Thanks again.

Guys.... My doors are locking/unlocking with a mind of their own. I know from the previous owner I need door actuators, but I am not sure if I also need motors. The trunk will not lock/unlock regardless of what I do... The rest of the doors sometimes lock/unlock, sometimes don't. My remotes don't work, so this is all done manually with the key or with the interior door button.

Oh, this is a 98 LX470.

Does anyone have an opinion on if I need just actuators or actuators + motors? Also which part numbers I need? I'll keep searching, but I was hoping someone already knew.

Thanks!

Guys.... My doors are locking/unlocking with a mind of their own. I know from the previous owner I need door actuators, but I am not sure if I also need motors. The trunk will not lock/unlock regardless of what I do... The rest of the doors sometimes lock/unlock, sometimes don't. My remotes don't work, so this is all done manually with the key or with the interior door button.

Oh, this is a 98 LX470.

Does anyone have an opinion on if I need just actuators or actuators + motors? Also which part numbers I need? I'll keep searching, but I was hoping someone already knew.

Thanks!
The motors are in the actuator. The thought here is to replace the inexpensive, nonfunctional motor rather than the more expensive entire actuator (motor preinstalled inside).

The motors are in the actuator. The thought here is to replace the inexpensive, nonfunctional motor rather than the more expensive entire actuator (motor preinstalled inside).
Oh I thought the little motor was the actuator. Gotcha. I'll do some more reading. Thank you!

Oh, this is a 98 LX470.

Thanks!

1. Get 5 of the motors and follow the procedure detailed in this thread to remove the actuators, open them, and swap out the motors.
2. Replace batteries in your fobs and reprogram if necessary. There are instructions on this forum, in the FSM, and on tlcfaq.com.
3. If your locks are still acting fishy, check the wiring in the rubber looms at the door hinges. The insulation on the wires becomes brittle and cracks with age, exposing the copper and shorting.

1. Get 5 of the motors and follow the procedure detailed in this thread to remove the actuators, open them, and swap out the motors.
2. Replace batteries in your fobs and reprogram if necessary. There are instructions on this forum, in the FSM, and on tlcfaq.com.
3. If your locks are still acting fishy, check the wiring in the rubber looms at the door hinges. The insulation on the wires becomes brittle and cracks with age, exposing the copper and shorting.
My fobs are not working, regardless of replacing the batteries. I need to figure out how to replace the internals of those as well, haha.

Glad it's only replacing the actuators. Searching by the part number listed here I already found them.

Thanks!

Got the window sorted out. Used the wrong bolt to hold the track.

Do all door locks have to be functioning properly in order to program the remote?

All -

I just took delivery of all 5 door actuators (you have to specify if the rear lift gate has the child-safety lock) and am going to replace them to get my doors and the locks fully functional. I will keep you all posted.

- Mark

I just replaced the actuator on my '99. Mine required the motor with the brass collar.

I had to take a slightly different approach to putting the actuator back together. My JB weld job broke apart in just 2 days. So I drilled holes in 4 strategic spots and put screws and nuts on 3 of the spots and 1 self tapping screw on the 4th spot because there wasn't much room and the screw head was too big for that spot.

I had to grind the ends of 2 of the screws to allow the actuator to fit back into the assembly. As you can see from the pics, one of the screws protruded more than the rest because it wasn't necessary for me to grind it down.

This thing isn't breaking apart now!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Im glad ive identified my next project! It's gonna be a little before i get to it. This thread seems super useful. Thanks to all that have shared.

In the meantime, I'm having issues with the alarm going off when manually unlocking the doors. Is there a way to disable this or completely disable the alarm. I'm pretty sure it's the oem alarm. 99TLC

Cheers!

Plus one for the brass collar on a 1999 LX470. Mine had the metal worm drives inside too. I used hobby CA glue with activator so I could just reinstall them right away.

Can anyone confirmed for me please? I have a 2004 Lexus lx470 does it use the same part with the brass collar Mabuchi FC 280PT-22125? Where is everyone buying these motors now?

Can anyone confirmed for me please? I have a 2004 Lexus lx470 does it use the same part with the brass collar Mabuchi FC 280PT-22125? Where is everyone buying these motors now?
I bought these with brass collar from mopselectric in NJ. They were shipped very quickly. Worked in my 98LX and 04LC.
4X FC-280 Motors with Collar - Car Door Lock and Mirror Motors - FC-280PT-22125

Edit:
There are some members that mentioned they have a different style motor, if you aren't using the back seat (hauling kids) I'd pull one of the rear panels off first to see what's in there.

Last edited:
Ordered some today. Hoping this will fix the issue.

Good luck my friend, it's actually very easy to do. Just couple of advise
1. Make sure you removed the door handle to give you room for removal of the clip that attached to actuator, no forcing it out, or you will break it, it comes out very easy.
2. The next hard part is removing the little motor, I just pry it open with flat head screw driver, it came out extremely easy, I strongly advise against baking it in oven, since you are baking all the component as well, No no in my book no need to bake it pry out easily.

Hope this help, and you can do it. It's extremely rewarding when you are able to hit that lock/unlock and it work :)

How do you remove the white bracket that holds the door lock assembly?
FVxc4CB1cxnwXoKY03NkU8tAXYTlA3LykxLx-Aoa1zgrP0jdxnSRG3cDSsM-0_xvHJmyt_d4NaIkjuBXKu3GESyxR4ojiyixE_LQWKORituIf3CnsL7N4QpEspxKn2dYNpmKK1hGF7Uxon8LAirhn4DbAwWDWxGWUIfvzgZSHOsCrKMZ0Z8ZFSFdBGsWa09Hm7CZybSVR7p_94-3a7rogS0zKOe-uOYxUqZRE8Ffq6IZDyTCkowis8u_nKt-9pRNJaySYq1fCgnve_BSJQj5dNqpuvS_KuGDzJWiV4C9KmgvaBPbF-dVS7HMYrU4aEtgZARLaU2W_8CyxPwnSRLZcNotQm2ATX-bUejk_Ebyy1lXs1Aq6Bq319QAuH6QutqK4B7lJinfPR3B0Rk3i6zsUzuSi9TGeriDjGgtRFMuBg3bBBPSvSpOHx19aAxBQ8vSdhv-FkgS_tiPhUltLm53XGbVOVszQOrHV9aGMBisqAGpVruK9yc8QMgJIIe8RwS-mB5Nc80U7HvsKZ6GyvEHf2xHfnKeMM_iJU3ajwlxNKTsTDABlhXcPEgUMyT22yumu74G2mwCjWo3X1zw5rL3WUDN8RWfsj61OSh-fKrGkH8sIJuIhw=w1186-h667-no

IMAG0528.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom