DIY ? for Roof rack - rain channel mounts (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have any of you ever built some roof rack mounts from scratch ?
Looking for a DIY on this. I've seen a few different types but I havent seen detailed photos or a desription of how they work.

I would love to just buy mounts, but right now I have more time than money with my wife currently searching for a job and all...

Im going to mount this

Roof%20rack.jpg

Are you sure you have enough lights:rolleyes:

From the one's I've seen, you'll need to get your hands on a break and get some 3/8" plate.

At least look at Groucho's brackets for ideas. I've got a set of his and they are bad ass.

Saw these a while back. If you have the ability to do some light forming and welding it wouldn't be too tough to fab something like this up. I don't remember where I found the pic, maybe someone else will recognize it and chime in.
Gutter Mount Bracket.jpg

Im just givin you a hard time about the lights!
To each his own, but I think one set front and back would suffice.
Those are the brackets you would want for sure though, beefy and fully adjstable.
I like the finish also.
Good luck

That looks like a Con-Ferr Mount, but in a different color than black. I looked for their web site, but couldn't find anything. Are they still in business?

Saw these a while back. If you have the ability to do some light forming and welding it wouldn't be too tough to fab something like this up. I don't remember where I found the pic, maybe someone else will recognize it and chime in.
I saw those last night in a thread. The guy provided a link of where to purchase them. I think they were just over $150 for a set of four.

With all those lights, it looks like one of those submersible salvage rigs......I like it!

x2 on Groucho's clamps. Mark A. has some similar ones....if not identical....for about the same $$
I wish I had money right now, I would just purchase them and not waste my time.
Submersable salvage rig huh. lol

Im just givin you a hard time about the lights!
To each his own, but I think one set front and back would suffice.
Those are the brackets you would want for sure though, beefy and fully adjstable.
I like the finish also.
Good luck
Nah, I agree. The guy I got the rack from purchased a tundra that had this thing on the canopy. I cant for the life of me figure out why there are so many lights on it. Regardless, I got an excellent deal = free

That looks like a Con-Ferr Mount, but in a different color than black. I looked for their web site, but couldn't find anything. Are they still in business?
Conferr is gone. I found a link to another company that said they merged but nothing to confirm that.
Also there was another company that 4wheel parts carries that was $59/pair.

I would like the bomb proof mounts. I may just have to wait a few months till I can get some money. I dont have access to a brake, but I could heat some 1/8" or 3/16" material with the bluewrench and a vice. We'll see what I can come up with.

You could check craigslist for some used and cheap yakima or thule gutter mounts.

You could check craigslist for some used and cheap yakima or thule gutter mounts.

Exactly my thought.

Although the Thule fit guide says we need the "extended height" version, you can fit normal ones over the factory rack without any issue - and since we have gutters this is the most common style of Thule / Yakima foot out there.

Personally I think the extended height feet not only look dopey, but they reduce your height clearance for no good reason.

Pawn shops take in racks too, and as big as Fleabay is you are bound to find some crossbar-less feet on there, maybe even a single pair since it might be worth it to have 3 feet on each side.

Track down the folks at Quick-N-Easy. Not sure if they still manufacture the 4" mounts but worth the search. The 7" mounts are readily available 4 for $70 but that's a little too high for an 80 unless you can develop different mount bars or mount tabs.

Quik-N-Easy Products - Home

NRS Home - Roof Racks - Quick N Easy

I have my rack off right now, I'll take a look and see if there is an easy way to develop a 4" mount similar in natire to the Quick-N-Easy.

Last edited:
Regarding the Con-Ferr roof rack clamps, contact Off-road Unlimited.

They are used in the defender roof rack line

The retail store number is 1-818-563-1208

Dude! Zombies are going to have a hard time sneaking up on that rig!:cool:

On a serious note, I picked up a rack and mounts from Mule expedition equipment. After looking it over, I think building the rack is the easy part! Good, solid mounts take some work. You might want to think about selling the rack to make some money to buy mounts, and then fab the rack.
:hmm:

They are used in the defender roof rack line
Defender is who I was thining of. They have them in stock at my local 4wp.

Dude! Zombies are going to have a hard time sneaking up on that rig!:cool:

On a serious note, I picked up a rack and mounts from Mule expedition equipment. After looking it over, I think building the rack is the easy part! Good, solid mounts take some work. You might want to think about selling the rack to make some money to buy mounts, and then fab the rack. :hmm:
LOL and yea the thought had crossed my mind.

I've decided since I have material, but im broke. Im going to see what I can come up with this weekend.

or sell off some of those lights to finance gettting something.....looks like you wouldn't miss 4 or 5. JAT

or sell off some of those lights to finance gettting something.....looks like you wouldn't miss 4 or 5. JAT
They are already gone. I kept three pairs. One for the front of the rack, one for back and one pair on the ARB bull bar.

I gave them to Friends that helped me move. My wife and I had to move out of our old home, put our stuff in storage and stay with my folks for 3 weeks until our new home was ready to move in. So they helped me move twice and for that I am very gratefull if your listening fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom