DIY fender lining (Part 1) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CJ can't tell from the pics but (I'm sure you can) would someone who didn't know where you placed the aluminum tape be able to tell?

I've thought about doing this but kinda figured I would weld small pieces of steel behind the holes and then fill in and grind down to even.

As for the questiions about the aluminum tape, after the first coat, you could still see where the tape was. After a good second coat you can no longer tell where the tape is. I plan on putting one more thick coat on to total 3 coats.

I don't think there is any issue with water intrusion behind the tape. It's sealed pretty good from the elements now.

Concrete,
I am sure you will have enough to do and undercoat anyway.
Especially the wheel wells were it tends to degrade after awhile.
That would get rid of any water intrusion behind the tape issues.

looks great concrete :D

rolling the stuff over the tape helps quite a bit. mine was sprayed on -- when it hit some of the spots covered with metal tape, the tape flexed. I have a few dimples where the holes were.

if there was any really big concern with water intrusion, you could always dab a bit of the liner stuff on the inside of the fender -- the other side of the hole, thus covering both sides (this might be a messy job -- trying to get the stuff onto little spot in tight working conditions.

Looks great dude! I will be doing this to mine soon. My flares have just about had it. :cheers:

concretejungle said:
Cost was $90 and recieved the product within 5 days of ordering. Here's what i got: One gallon of black durabak, two foam rollers, container opener, MSDS sheet and directions.
From the price quoted it looks like you just went w/ the regular Durabak w/o UV protection - did you ask them about this? Worried about sun fade? Thinking about doing this on my 40 that's black anyway -

Looks great BTW!

Tucker

tucker74 said:
From the price quoted it looks like you just went w/ the regular Durabak w/o UV protection - did you ask them about this? Worried about sun fade? Thinking about doing this on my 40 that's black anyway -

Looks great BTW!

Tucker

Yea i asked them. They said that after a few years i may get some fading, but i'm not totally worried about it. I'll just hit it with armoral every once in a while when the rig get's washed. I can't remember the price but the stuff with the UV protection in it was bigger $$.

Biff said:
I had no choice, a big fat rock made up my mind. :crybaby:

Really? :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom