1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc. brake problem

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ryeguy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. ryeguy

ryeguy

Hi there,

I got a hold of an '85 4runner front differential and started pulling it apart to clean it up and do the disc conv. with my '74 FJ40 . My problem is ... I can't seem to separate the hub of the 4runner from the spindle(bearing housing) Iwas just wondering if there is a trick to doing this or what :-/

thank you
    Ryan

2. Design311

Design311

3. ryeguy

ryeguy

Thanx for the links. It looks like it's a straight forward process like any other hub. Mine must just be frozen on or put on with a generous helping of some kind of liquid gasket material.

thank you again

4. ryeguy

ryeguy

:-[OOOOppsss.I read it too fast the first time. Looks like the "cone washers" that are giving me the hard time. I'm glad I double checked before "beating the hell" out of the hub :-/.

rye

5. Design311

Design311

Yeah, you need to beat on the cone washers with a brass drift. Back the nut off flush with head of the stud and wack the brass drift hard a couple of times. They should pop out. If not you might try spraying them with some penetrant like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench. Good luck!