Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Additional longer leaf on one side (longer leaf won't give as much increase to the spring rate compared to a shorter leaf)
Spacer
Swap springs from the Drivers to the passenger side.
Etc...

DS lean right? And are the springs new or old?
Springs are old (circa 1977) and pretty much flat at ride height.
Lean is to the passenger side (where my spare is located). I'm going to see if I can source a long spring and add that to the pack. I'm not sure of how well the spacers work, and would rather compensate with increased carrying on on side.

I've got a bunch of spring leaves laying around. You're welcome to look them over.

Are you helping out at CTW this weekend?

Picked up some tube fenders from MetalTech for the build. I really wanted to keep the originals, but I need the extra clearance due to the front axle being forward. I am going to mount some original turn signals to the tube fenders to try to give it back some of the front end look needed for a 40.
Any advice for a paint stripping product? I need to strip the front bezel down to bare metal so I can paint it back to white.

Aircraft stripper.

I thought long about fender-signals, but in the end went with the hot rod lights because they would get torn off where I wheel.... the other thought was the early-40 and put them below the headlights.
Aircraft stripper, copy that.
I really like the look of the fender lights. I'm thinking that with my axle width, I'll minimize the chance of ripping them off on some errant limb.

I was able to burn in the anti-wrap, truss, shock mounts, and tab for the axle limit strap. I also installed the rear drive shaft and moved the axle around a bit, I'll have 3" of droop before binding, and 2" of uptravel.

5" of travel?

5" of travel?
That's what it looks like. I'll know for sure when I take it out of the garage next week to measure for shocks. Realistically, I'll have likely have ten inches of articulated travel in the rear, just won't have true axle droop like I'm used to in the 80 series.

20161011_170820.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to go with stainless hardware or rivets, but the quarter armor is almost ready. Need to cut and opening for the fuel and weld on the 4" rear fender flares.

Any recommendations of where to get a pillowblock for my steering shaft? Speedway has all the parts I need for the steering for great prices, but I really don't like what they offer for intermediate supports. I need to route the steering just outside of the headers, so a pillowblock is a must-have.

I've seen heim joints used as pillow blocks on steering shafts. Is that an option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom