Direction of BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
Already, sorry for my poor english !
I have got a BJ42 (1983) with an assisted direction.
And when I am at ~80Km/h, my BJ go right an left.
I have problem with my case of direction.
shock absorbers / kneecaps / relay direction are news.
Hown to regulate this case ? I try to tighten the live of the case, but always the same problem.

Thanks for your help,
Arnaud

Hmm. Loose steering at speed in a '40. He wants to tighten up the steering box for his power steering.

Arnaud, what size tires do you have?

Hello,

I have 750*16 tires (Guyanne).
When I take my wheel, this one has a play of approximately 3 cm before anything moves. The play is in the steering gear box.

Arnaud

What about the rag joint? It is the black rubber disk in between the firewall and steering box in engine compartment. Mine was worn out and added to the play a lot.

Ahh. The factory standard steering wheel play for the FJ40 is 2 inches (5.08 cm). Maybe there's nothing wrong!

we had a problem like this on our hj47, everything was tight in the steering, it was running on standard size wheels (7.50 16) but at any speed it would not stay on the road. It turned out that it was because the front tyres were baldish, they were rags. I didn't actually try it on paved road though, cause there was none around, just on dirt roads above 50kph. Replaced the old front tyres with brand new rags and everything was fixed.

Sam
'79bj40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom