Differential rebuild/refresh how far do you go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for some advice.

I have a 73 FJ40, original drivetrain, sitting at the 180K+ mark now. Due to some inexperience many moons ago, I never got the full torque on the rear pinion nut after changing the seal. Never thought much about it, but now I have a pretty pronounced growl from the rear end. I suspect the pinion bearings are worn/damaged. Noise got worse after I actually got it torqued all the way down a couple years ago.

The truck is nearly all original component wise, so there is something to rebuilding the original third and keeping it with the truck, but at the same time, I could probably easily swap a good used unit in.

What I'm wondering about is how far to go in the rear end. I haven't had the cover off in about 20 years, so I have no idea how it looks inside, oil has been looking okay. I did, however, have the cover off my FJ60 recently to pull the axles and change the outer axle seals. That truck has 250K on it and I was surprised at how worn the spider gears were. The ring gear didn't look too bad, but the spiders were pretty much rounded and have a lot of slop in them.

The bad pinion preload in the 40 may have affected the ring and pinion pattern, also, I suspect, judging from the slop, the spiders have to be on there way to the same wear the higher mileage FJ60 is showing.

So the question is, how far do you go. Just do the pinion bearings and see if the ring mesh can be made right and go on. Replace all the guts, including bearings, ring and pinion and spiders, or swap it out for another, or ditch the spiders and put in a locker or something, costs are all mounting at this point.

On a similar note, I have T100 with 236K on it, it also has a very loose and maybe noisy rear end, same question, how far do you go?

I've never done a diff, so I'm not sure where you make you the cutoff on runnable and non-runnable on wear issues. Any advise on this would be appreciated, thanks, Graham

If you've never rebuilt a differential and don't have the right tools for the job, IMHO I would look for a good used FRONT diff and plop it in the rear.
Your problems could be a combination of a bad pinion bearing and, depending on how loose the bearing was, a bad wear pattern on the ring and pinion.

reddingcruiser has it right. If you've not done diffs before find yourself either a pro to do it or find another good used diff or just swap your diffs front to rear. Differential work is the most tedious auto work I've ever done. As a machinist, I have most of the tools on hand plus I have done many tedious high tolerance jobs at work, and diff work still a PITA.

Nick

The nice thing is, third members are a bolt in thing. If you are not comfortable building one yourself, plenty of folks will build it for you and you can just bolt it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom