Differential Guards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of a source for 80 series diff guards?
I've been trying to get Buford from TLC Concepts in the Manufacturers' Corner to make some. But haven't had any luck to date.
Thanks,
CJ

C

For the front diff you could check:

http://www.allprooffroad.com/diffarmor.html

There are some companies (drawing a blank) that produce diff armor for the 40/55/60-2 cruisers, which share the same size rear R/P.

Finally, a really strong & cheap diff armor protection is to use cast iron pipe weld caps. The best fitting ones are the 10" diameter, cut in half, and stitch weld to diff housing (rear). Don't forget plug clearance.

Joe

Curran,
Best pro for your diffs is a knowledgable spotter. Seriously.

If you're on trail, you're likely not going fast, so the only time it's really in jeopardy is when you're going through some tough stuff (edited :flipoff2: ). Find a spotter that knows how important your pumkin is and you'll be fine. They are pretty tough.

Joe,
Thanks for the link. I was hoping to find a bolt on piece though, I can find them by the dozens for Rovers.

Junk,
I agree with you 100%. but I don't have a spotter all the time. This is one of those CYA parts for those times your'e out doing something stupid by yourself.

Curran I have asked this question here before and gotten no answer. However, there are mod shops in Vancouver that all offer diff guards for mini-truck diffs using the pipe caps and think they can do the same for an 80. It seems to be an easy and cheap fab and I intend to do it this fall. Why pay big dollars just to bolt it on?

Junk, considering this is almost an obligatory mod on mini-trucks are you saying they are all wasting their money? I know the lockers make it less likely an 80 owner will over-rev when moving over a steep obstacle, shoot forward and bang their diff on the next obstacle, but I still think they are useful. Surely you've overdone it yourself once or twice while yelling on the cell trying to get your momma to leave Hilltopper alone.

semlin,
We're talking autos with the 80's. I don't care what other trucks are doing. Heck, I don't even care what half the 80 crew is doing. :D The 80 series diffs are heavy duty and what are you trying to protect? Crawl under and look at a mini diff, now crawl under and look at yours'. Nuff said? And no, I wasn't worried about Hilltoppr, I was calling in a group res for your momma.:flipoff2:

Many 4xers diff have a removable diff cover like the non locker rear diff. Our cover is HD welded on. If you hit it hard enough to damage it even with a guard, you probable damage something else.
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom