1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differential gasket - needs sealant?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Spanky Pete, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Spanky Pete

Spanky Pete

I am about to put the third member back together and I am not sure about the gasket. I have read the diff cover gasket, which is cork, doesn't need any sealant, just set it up dry.

The 3rd member to axle gasket from toyota is a different thinner paper material. Should I lay a bead of permatex on there?
  2. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

Don't need to, but it can't hurt. I've done both with the dry toy gasket and with just RTV. Neither leaked.
  3. BGarcia88FJ62

BGarcia88FJ62 SILVER Star

I've never used anything more than the gaskets. Unless you mauled it getting it off and bent or put a groove in it or something gaskets are all you need IMO.
    :beer:
  4. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

I always use a gasket, with a thin bead of RTV on both faces. Reason is for removal: when you need to take it back out, the gasket will split. But the layer of RTV will make peeling it off with a razor scraper much easier.
  5. cruiser88

cruiser88

I never have used a gasket.......just permatex:beer:
  6. specialk396

specialk396

RTV

I use either RTV and gasket or RTV only, depending on if I have the paper/cork gasket. On a thick mounting flange like is on these diffs, RTV should be fine.
  7. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

i've never used any sealants outside of hightack to keep the gasket in place when i stabbed the diff.
  8. wengejor

wengejor

I just swapped 4.11's into my truck last week...I didn't use sealant on both and the rear didn't leak, but the front did. I used a razor blade to remove the old gasket material, but the front didn't seal up. I had to drain it, loosen it up and put some goop on it. I didn't fill it back up yet...giving it a few days to cure before refilling it w/ 90w.
  9. I hate to admit how many Toyota center sections I've pulled, I always removed the gasket and used RTV only, never had a leak. RTV is used by many axle manufactures these days, and no gasket.
  10. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

I've had better luck with RTV only than with any combination of gaskets and goop on diffs... YRMV!

:cheers:

Nick
  11. cruiser guy

cruiser guy

I have always used rtb, its pretty forgiving if you get a skinny bead in an area, and removing it isn't all that bad either

12. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member Moderator

What are these "gaskets" of which you speak?:confused:
    [​IMG]

13. That's the one! That is an actual Dodge part, they don't use gaskets on their diffs, just the Ultra Grey specificly.
  14. ntsqd

ntsqd technerd

I used the "Right Stuff" when I put the FF in. I've used it on an NP241's cases as well. No leaks. Not looking forward to taking either apart, but I didn't put it together intending to take it apart anytime soon.