differences between 95 & 96-97 models (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

S

skunkworks

I've looked at many threads on this site and it seems that on late model year 1995 land cruisers there are no differences with 96 & 97 models years. Is this correct? I had originally wanted to purchase a 97 model year but here in Canada we have a 10 year rule with respect to taxes and I have to pay 21% on top of the purchase price to get the car up here. If I was to buy a 95 I can play with the black book pricing (within reason) and save alot of cash. I'm only willing to do this if the 95 is virtually idential to 96-97 years. Can anyone confirm the differences. I need lockers,new dash style,leather and all the trimmings :D
If I'm getting the same options I would rather go for the 95 and try to find one with lower miles 50-70 k, as I will pay less for it. What are the going prices right now for a 95 in excellent cond.

If anyone can enlighten me on the differences above I would really appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
No mechanical differences between 1995, 1996 and 1997 80 series Land Cruisers.
There are some cosmetic (i.e. badging) differences between the model years, but nothing to really be concerned about.

Welecome aboard :flipoff2:

I think the major difference is the OBD. The 96 is OBD-2 but the 95 isn't full OBD-2 compliant. It's like 1.5 or something.

Other than that, I think they are about the same. I like my 95.

From Sleeoffroad web site:

1995-1997

1996 saw the introduction of the Lexus LX450 Model.
Exhaust system changed from side by side catalytic converters to in-line converters. The exhaust also routes below the frame rail just behind the catalytic converters to avoid excessive heat on the passenger floor-boards.
Front grill changed from the word TOYOTA written across the front to the new Toyota symbol.
Headlight mounts are different from 1991-1994 vs 1995-1997 and will not interchange.
Redesigned dash board with airbags as standard equipment.
Headliner changed to two piece molded units.
Emission system on engine changes. Changed from a Mass Air Pressure meter to a Mass Air Flow meter. Certain plumbing was also removed.
Supercharger & Turbo systems available for 1995-1997 models.
ECU updates and truck became voluntary OBD-II compatible. Fully compatible in 1996 models.
Wheel Lug nuts change from conical to washer type.
Airbags become standard
Automatic transmission changes to the A343F. Some 95's were produced with the A442F. The transmission type is printed on the label on the driver door.
1997 saw the introduction of the 40th Anniversary editions as well as the Collectors Series.
1997 the rear swaybar brackets that attach the bar to the frame were changed from a plate side that attached to the side of the frame to a bracket style that attached to the bottom of the frame.
ABS wires on the front were moved upward and no longer run down the front control arm.
Radiator is a 2 row aluminum

Good luck,

Russell

PACNW96 said:
1997 the rear swaybar brackets that attach the bar to the frame were changed from a plate side that attached to the side of the frame to a bracket style that attached to the bottom of the frame.

This would be the only significant difference between a 95/96 and a 97 model listed above. The rest were differences between 93/94 and 95-97 models.

Thanks NorCalDoug and everyone for the replies.

Concerning the trannies are they both equally good. Also the third seat row was available right. I bought a 1997 land cruiser dealer sales catalogue and I'm looking at the standard equipment...its pretty impressive :eek:

Now I just have to find one. I was thinking about buying one in FL and driving it up.... I have easy access to rigs in any of the the northern states including and east of Ohio,NY,VT etc... Any of the markets softer than others.

How much should I be looking to pay for a low mile 95.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both transmissions are great, but everyone on this board has their opinion which is better. The later transmission has 2nd gear start option, but it's been discussed the earlier transmission is more heavy duty....do some research on this forum and you will see many opinions.

As you will find prices will fluctuate wildly from location to location. In Washington there are a couple low mileage 96' and 97's in the Autotrader going for between 17k-19k, which is quite expensive. Check out Autotrader.com to get an idea of prices in various locations.

The smaller transmission is highly desirable, because that's what I have. Bigger is not always better, look at Junk's momma. There is a mid-year changeover. I'm not sure which month it was, mine is a 7/95 with the later trans.

The 95 is not fully OBD-II compliant. That's really the only other difference I have been able to find 95-97. It looks like all the monitors are there, but I have not been able to get some info on the scan tool I should be on a 96.

Lower mileage trucks go WAY up in price. A well maintained 130K is not very scary and can be had for 2/3 the price of a sub-80K rig. ($10K vs. $15K)

I was talking to a re-seller who does a lot of LCs. He sells a lot from up here and ships them down south.

What about the exhaust??

Interesting thread....I heard (and read in one off-road tech article) that the '97 has a stainless steel exhaust. I have not been able to verify it though..... :confused:

General said:
Interesting thread....I heard (and read in one off-road tech article) that the '97 has a stainless steel exhaust. I have not been able to verify it though..... :confused:

Not restricted to 97 and not a non-ferrous stainless, IE they still get a surface corrosion.

Welcome Skunkworks :flipoff2:

Is that a Lockheed reference?

Guys are there differences between Canadian models and US models? I know there are all sorts of differences between US and OZ trucks in the same model year.

David

Canada never got new 80 series "Land Cruisers" only Lexus LX 450's

That is a bit of a pay-back because we never got BJ70's....:flipoff2:

All of the CDN LX450's came with factory lockers. I think the only option was the roof rack, rear wind deflector, and the tow hitch. Oh, and the over priced built-in cell phone.

Also, all CDN models have daytime running lights.

cruiserdan said:
That is a bit of a pay-back because we never got BJ70's....

We're one ahead because we also never got the :princess: 100 series :D

cruiserdan said:
Canada never got new 80 series "Land Cruisers" only Lexus LX 450's

That is a bit of a pay-back because we never got BJ70's....:flipoff2:

Dan strictly speaking I don't think you americans have ever had any BJs at all.

Which is a shame :D

in more ways than one :flipoff2:

All of the CDN LX450's came with factory lockers. I think the only option was the roof rack, rear wind deflector, and the tow hitch. Oh, and the over priced built-in cell phone.

Also, all CDN models have daytime running lights.

We're one ahead because we also never got the :princess: 100 series :D

Really? I could have sworn that I've seen canadian lx's w/o factory lockers...

So I have a 1/95. Will any 95 engine work in my cruiser? Just want to make sure.

The 95 OBD vs. the OBD2 can dictate how they are treated during emission testing. In AZ, the 96 and 97 LCs and LXs are just plugged into the computer, no codes and you are done.:cool: The 95s get the full inspection.:mad:

Otherwise, they are the same truck.:meh:

All of the CDN LX450's came with factory lockers.

Wait, really? If that's true, it's worth going up North to go 80 shopping......

Has that ever been discussed here? - I must have missed that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom