Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The advanced adapter split case adapter does leak between the trans and transfer case.haven't heard of a fix for that.

A few of us have an NV4500 to HF2AV adapter from Diesel Adapters. The 1st version is this didn't seal the find in the trans, and caused thegogglesdonothing swap to burn up the trans. The revised adapter has a toyota seal and doesn't leak.

Good to know, thanks for that..... So I should be able to source a full time case put the new adapter in and be good then?

Just keep it topped off I guess, as long as it's not pouring out of the t-case. Using the right oil is an issue all-in it self. I'm using amsoil nv4500 rated in the t-case and GM oil in the tranny.

The advanced adapter split case adapter does leak between the trans and transfer case.haven't heard of a fix for that.

A few of us have an NV4500 to HF2AV adapter from Diesel Adapters. The 1st version is this didn't seal the find in the trans, and caused thegogglesdonothing swap to burn up the trans. The revised adapter has a toyota seal and doesn't leak.

Do you have to cut the output shaft on the diesel adapters adapter? I know you have to do this one AA one to the split case so i'm hoping if I do go that way I wouldn't have to replace the output shaft with a full length one again to match up to the HF2AV

Do you have to cut the output shaft on the diesel adapters adapter? I know you have to do this one AA one to the split case so i'm hoping if I do go that way I wouldn't have to replace the output shaft with a full length one again to match up to the HF2AV
you should bring these questions over to one of our build threads rather than clutter up this thread. The purpose of this thread is to display the finished product of your 80 series diesel conversion. Come ask your questios on my swap thread if you like.

My build is just starting and I will update a build thread as it progresses...
1. Starting rig: 1995 FZJ80.
2. Drive train plans: 1994 6BT, P-pump, NV4500 with Duiser adapter to HF2AV.
3. What went really well with the swap? Starting price LC $1000 & driving donor pickup $2000.
4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap? Time will tell..
5. Mods...aside from drivetrain: Front & Rear Bumpers, Air lockers, part time transfercase, manual front hubs, exhaust brake, roof rack, pto winch? (If not feasible, Warn 12,000), Comp Springs to deal with weight, 37's, dual batteries...open to the possibilities.

Hey guys, I searched and didn't really find anything on here about putting an VW 1.9 tdi diesel into an 80 or even a 60. I have been planning a diesel for a while now and somehow came across VW 1.9 turbo diesel. I know it must seem like I'm high but I'm not. Originally I was thinking of a 1kz-te with the 2lt/1kz hybrid mechanical pump for ease of installation, independence from excessive electronics and reliability. The downside is that they're hard to come by for a decent price. And even then You have to mod them to make as much torque as the 1fz-fe. I don't really want a cummins, for the most part I've had good experiences with them, just don't like the excessive noise and vibration or the cost for parts. That and they're not exactly easy to find cheap with the way the cummins crowd is growing. Anyway, I did some searching and found a plethora of VW 1.9 engines from 98-2006 and they're all pretty cheap >$800<$2600. Parts are fairly cheap for the ALH engines and the performance mods necessary to pull 300 lb-ft of torque ring in at <$3500. There are countless threads on performance mods and fuel mileage etc.. Some of these guys drive their VWs with 200hp and over 300 lb-ft torque around as commuters and they report low 40- mid 50's mpgs for fuel economy. I figure high 20's or low 30's wouldn't be out of the question with this engine in a cruiser. That and there are adapters for the 1.8 and 1.9 to toyota transmissions. Albeit most are 4cyl transmissions. I'm sure you could get one for a beefier 5spd and transfer case combo...maybe a H55 and dual cases. Anyway. It seems just as viable as far as money than a cummins and parts would be easier to come by than a toyota. What do you guys think? I was just hoping someone had heard of this or has experience with it.
Or maybe you can go "Double the Trouble" like Jacques (really cool guy, total gearhead from Oakland) did with his twini Mini..
80060000127E6416C-188B-34B5-07CBA12D2C49A72E.jpg

Just read about it, is insanely kool.

Last edited:
Hello folks!

I'm from Brazil and I do have a FJ 80 1992. I did transplanted a mwm (international ) 3.0 L turbo diesel on my FJ 80, but the automatic tramy isn't support the torque of the engine. The mechanic told me that the problem is on the troque converter, the new engine has more torque in low ROV that the Toyota gas engine (4.0L). Someone can give me a direction to how to find a hybrid torque converter to be able to maintain the automatic tramy. Any help will be welcome. Thanks!

You may wanna source and " try " ( coz pretty sure you are the first one with this swap ) the A440 or A442 that came behind Mr. T factory diesel motors .. ( 1HZ and 1HD-T family ) for the 80 series ..

1. Year and model of the original truck. 1996 US Market FZJ80 with Kazuma S/C

2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in. Toyota 1HD-FT from OZ, mated to H151F, and the original T-Case which was upgraded to Hi and Lo gears. GTurbo, Safari Intercooler

3. What went really well with the swap? The wiring was less complex than I originally thought. Ended up doing almost all of it myself, and used wires already in place within the FZJ loom. Also found that many of the factory parts can be found and sourced from several places throughout the world. The re-reg as a diesel was also pretty painless.

4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap? The AC lines and plumbing from the turbo, intercooler, and intake.

5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any? OME Heavies, ARB AirLockers with 4.88's, 315 BFG AT KO, Safari Snorkel, dual batteries, VDO Pyro and boost, dual fuel tanks.

6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement. Heaps of torque. End up in 5th pretty quick, which means going back to 4.10's from 4.88's.

7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol. No idea yet, as still on my first tank. Crossing fingers for something around 20 mixed.

8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy. **** as it is not for the faint of mechanics or electrical, nor low on the monetary front. Help came from Valley Hybrids (Dom and Georg) who handled much of the heavy lifting, and from Sheldon/G&S for a bunch of used factory parts, TORFab for the intercooler, Japan 4x4, Partsouq, Amayama, and Beno for the OEM Radiator which should have never been in the US!

9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
I thought the RPM would be lower at that speed. Is it in 5th gear?

4.88's make the rpm higher than I would like. Speedo still needs a little correction, as actually GPS says that it should read 65. Will be going back to 4.10's.

4.88's make the rpm higher than I would like. Speedo still needs a little correction, as actually GPS says that it should read 65. Will be going back to 4.10's.

To bad you don't have the factory locking diff's. I have a set of 4.10's that I would love to upgrade to 4.88's ;)

Guys,

I'm kind of lost and I need a hand from you guys with a lot of knowledge in land cruiser.

I need to know if there is a difference on the torque converter on a A440F on diesel power and a gasoline power.

My land cruiser is a FJ 80 1992, gas engine with the A440F and I swaped a international mwm 3.0 diesel engine.

Any information that show me the right direction will be more there welcome.

Thanks,

Ricardo.

@RGA Pm sent to you, the toque converters are in fact different so are the valve bodies in the transmission. The differences are in several springs and Pistons as well as pre adjusted shift points.

IMG_1422.JPG
Good friend Ken did most of the work. engine was installed level, the tranny sits at about 5 degree slant due to the breadvan adapter plate.
1. 1994 80 series
2. 1994 80 with 4BT/NV4500/Orion. .
3. What went really well with the swap? - the end result.
4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap? - everything. not an easy swap.
5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any? - Intercooled, 3200RPM spring, H1C turbo with 54MM inducer. Boosts to about 22psi, 900F pre-turbo. ~95:1 crawl ration.
6. Driving impressions after the swap- Really loud at idle. And shaky. Would drive you crazy on the trail all day. once over 20mph, it's fine. And after new injectors, much smoother.
7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap. - don't know. already sold it.
8. overall difficulty of the swap: ***** HUGE pita to install. To make it fit _right_, needed custom exhaust manifold cut from a 6BT, oil pan and pickup tube modified, floorboards clearanced for transfercase, and the NV4500 stick comes up under the dash (picture a SM420 in a landcruiser).
But it drives way way way nicer then a 4BT w/auto. 100x nicer.

YouTube - 4BT Running in 1994 Land Cruiser 80 Series

All gauges work, including the tach. Luckily we had a Proffitts converted 80 to figure out the wiring from... otherwise... phew, good luck. FJ60 hubs on the front, fit perfect (pre-95 birfs are smaller).
View attachment 408686View attachment 408687View attachment 408688

Hello there reading your posting I just bought a 1993 FJ80 with a 4BT swap, I live in NJ and looking for a strong land cruiser/diesel mechanic. It is also pretty loud it brought a 700R4 tranny with factory transfer case, how do you quiet this engine some and stop some of this vibration. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom