Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Wheelingnoob, but I already try that too , again no luck I even put a new one and still I cant figure it out what did I do wrong.

Thanks Wheelingnoob, but I already try that too , again no luck I even put a new one and still I cant figure it out what did I do wrong.
Well like I have said before this thread is not the place for general questions. It's a place for the listing of swaps and the information about it.

I would start a thread in the diesel and 24volt section with specific questions.

1. 1997 FZJ80 40th Anniversary, nicknamed Bunny

2. Rebuilt Cummins 12v 6BT, NV4500 5-spd, sourced from a 1994 Dodge Ram 4x4

3. What went well? SO MUCH POWER. Great working relationship with builder.

4. What was difficult? 99.5% of the problems I faced were down to non-performance and 3 months' radio silence from the vendor of the adapter kit/wiring harness, Diesel Adapters. Beware. Do your best to find someone other than him to rely on.

5. ARB bumpers front and rear, 35" MTRs, OME 4" Comp Coils, Warn MD1200, OME Nitrochargers, OME steering stabilizer, cross-drilled / slotted brakes, Slee sliders, Gobi Ranger roof rack, James Baroud RTT, custom shift lever and sweet shift knob... lots more planned.

6. Driving impressions are: you need low gear ratios to take advantage of the characteristics of the motor. I'm going from 4.88s back to 4.10s. Haven't had to push it much offroad, but there's already so much clearance, suspension travel and traction that I'm in love.

7. Fuel consumption... 14mpg on my first full tank of diesel. I expect it to go up as the motor breaks in and I re-gear to 4.10. Expecting high teens or just barely 20.

8. *** - I'm the type of person who hires professionals to do what they do best, and I'm mechanically not so strong. Three stars of difficulty purely for vendor hassles and my own learning curve.

10. Build thread: forum.ih8mud.com/threads/thegoggles-fzj80-6bt-nv4500-build.879575/

IMG_8838.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

I've got a 93 with stupid miles, and my intention from day one was to do a 6bt swap. I have yet to find a happy Diesel Adaptors customer and was wondering if anyone has found a good alternative. It's my first engine swap, but it's not a DD, and I've got a wheeling rig to hold me over till it's done. I just hate spending money with a disreputable company.

I'm to the point of considering a 1HD-T with all the hassles of importing one instead of dealing with them.

1HD-T has very similar characteristics as 1FZ-FE only a bit better torque and fuel economy. Price for a good engine is well overpriced.

Why not wait for the Cummins V8 conversion package?

I hadn't heard of one coming out. Do you have a link?

1HD-T has very similar characteristics as 1FZ-FE only a bit better torque and fuel economy. Price for a good engine is well overpriced.

The motor in it needs a couple of grand worth of work before I'd feel comfortable taking it long distance. And if I'm going to drop that, I may as well put what I want in it. I want a diesel for the towing capability and the torque for wheeling.

All, please feel free to PM me, I don't want to hijack the thread with research related questions aside from my original post on alternative to diesel adapters.com

1HD-T, I do not know how much it costs in US, but here due to high demand they are very costly - the good one will be around of 5 thousands and higher. Plus you need (not sure) package for auto. New exhaust and etc. Which will add the cost. And you do not gain much of the torque neither power.

The concept of swap is to less price and more powerful engine 150% and higher than stock, in any other cases better to fix the own and do little tricking to get more power.

Last edited:

Kinda off topic but IMHO they are not ..

I had the privilege to own both side to side, same tires, same suspension, same almost all and the gasser it's much more flexible engine with clearly more wide powerband .. while my primary ( tweeked ) 80 it's a factory HDJ80 they are good in their own aspect ..

eY-hadJZQ7Dws9JnZInHw4lm8Ki803a5r40Egr3_j3w6atLadXDnyy5EaNWOt6h8RFrmwPsRanaT-Oq0HipFaTK6xtJl4626iR3L8HUwbi3J7q-ANNSwxJZQvQ-yJrRp78E8D_obAv_WPF983BEVcvH1V1E2uXYOKTMUV68v5H2e7SWd6WiEr7Gngci6la1UFQwExN_0NtpBXML8gcWhOQ3JyhVcXchTZHtI6tPEkMcE8yAJomj-mn3bp5cE4FfU6I1nngFqyAO5z4_vWYzb2Dike_Ww0F6WT2ScfxJihAC2fAwo9py1i4-M2XHoeHCB5FzSIhO--xoAdMwO4cwGOXQyA9U_SnfPLcT-dWbVuECo75UepJi6Qbn3WYvUa2dJIyofDwt_S4V_dv_fEEHfP7PI_DlQuT62UIhyT73qeuzBUBDhGO-XxGv8Km81mfiea_PRzjY8w0IxyiGYwmvnIU0nkItajH5quytYoctQKgcvD0te5Wpq8IkeomzTPoOPZxUeqqtkUTgRBlMSgiqGtPsEGia0caW4_NrBVe76f69PE9uK2fmU5857f_Z6UsE1-UFU=w800-h600-no

Check out Cummins website, they are conducting surveys and dirt everyday got a hold of one for a swap, my bet is that it's coming.

1994 FJ80 with Aisin 442 compushift
1994 12 valve cummins bone stock
I purchased the truck from Diesel Adapters, They put on their whole kit. Everything else is functioning well and needs a little work
Currently I have only filled up three times, looks like highway mpg is in the low 20s 17ish around town.

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

I went on a 1000ish mile trip with the land cruiser. Definitely not getting low 20s on the mileage. So with stock tires it looks like around 16 mpg, when I put 35s on it bumped up to around 18. So has anyone re geared? What ratio? Any other ideas?

I went on a 1000ish mile trip with the land cruiser. Definitely not getting low 20s on the mileage. So with stock tires it looks like around 16 mpg, when I put 35s on it bumped up to around 18. So has anyone re geared? What ratio? Any other ideas?
If you want to stick with 35's or 315's then you may want to re-gear to 3.54 or 3.73. You can get the gears from Marks in Australia. If you want to go up to 37's like myself and Wheelingnoob are, then 4.10's should be perfect.

If you want to stick with 35's or 315's then you may want to re-gear to 3.54 or 3.73. You can get the gears from Marks in Australia. If you want to go up to 37's like myself and Wheelingnoob are, then 4.10's should be perfect.

thanks for the help, how many RPMs going 65 in your rig?

thanks for the help, how many RPMs going 65 in your rig?
I'll let you know when I get there. I am still working on my conversion.

I do have a 24V ram with 4.10 gears and 37's and it drives like it did with stock 31's and 3.54 gears.

I'm running marks 3.54 gears and 315. At 70 I'm about 1900 rpm. I found before the gears my milage dropped on the hwy because I was not in the sweet spot for a cummins. 1900-2000rpm. I'm consistently getting 16-17 city and 20 at 75 on the hwy.

So for those wanting to go NV4500 in their swap is there a way around the leaky adapter to the split case?? Already seen one swap where someone toasted their trans because of this. I'm currently looking at a cruiser that already has the swap but has this adapter in it and would want to rectify it as soon as I could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom