Dielectric grease... anyone use it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KDSS Valves

If I'm worried about corrosion on stuff other than electrical connectors, I use something like the WD40 corrosion preventer. No point in spreading that stuff all over when there are a ton of sprays that'll do the same thing

I used it on electrical connections.....I thought it was basically petroleum jelly - isn't it?

Jesus Christ that guy got it wrong.
A "dielectric material" is an insulator.

The purpose of dielectric grease use on a car is for ease of removal of the rubber boots on spark plugs and to seal out moisture. That's it.

Never apply dielectric grease to any mechanical electrical contact.

Jesus Christ that guy got it wrong.
A "dielectric material" is an insulator.

The purpose of dielectric grease use on a car is for ease of removal of the rubber boots on spark plugs and to seal out moisture. That's it.

Never apply dielectric grease to any mechanical electrical contact.
OS is correct-(minus the expletives)=-dialectrics always resist the flow of elect current. Don't get it on the metal-to-metal contact area.

Last edited:
OS is correct-(minus the expletives)=-dialectrics always resist the flow of elect current. Don't get it on the metal-to-metal contact area.
Actually you are both (both) correct and incorrect. Dielectric grease is characterized by low viscosity which allows the grease to completely be pushed out of areas with metal to metal contact. So it is fine and often recommend for electrical connections in many different industries (including automotive) It serves to prevent moisture and corrosion as well as a lubricant to aide in installation and future removal of connections. Dielectric is better at high voltages than other greases. A light coating is all that's needed.

Petroleum jelly is not recommended because of its low melting point.

I removed every bulb and socket on my '40 years ago and used the di-electric grease on all parts. This was at least 10 years ago and I've had zero problems. when a bulb needs replacing, it comes out easily. Maybe some people use too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom