:: detroit vs arb loccker :: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I basically don't go "wheeling" that much. Maybe once a month. But, when I do, I am a bit paranoid about getting stuck.

My machine?
89 fj62 175K, stock except for 31" Bridgestone MTs

The reason for the post:
Due to my getting stuck paranoya, I want to put a locker in the rear. $$$$$ issues and it seems the best bang for the buck is the reason I want to do the rear only. I do most of my driving on pavement and it's a pretty good mix of around town and highway. I am in new england so the hills are medium sized and rolling (onroad). I want to keep the truck driving as close to stock as possible without comprimising too much offraod when it comes to the locker.

Will I notice anything other than a noise with the Detroit locker when driving on the street?

Does the Detroit locker out perform the ARB Air locker offroad?

Is the ARB a better choice for me because I am not offraod too often?

Let's hear your opinion! But can we keep it on topic please :D

You can learn a lot about the way your rig performs by relying on your wits instead of your pocketbook to get you out of trouble. Start with a highlift, a come-along, some stout rope, a snatch block, a shovel or pulaski, and tire chains. You'd be surprised how much trouble you can find just with these few simple tools!

yeah... in the back i was thinking:

highlift
Trifor handwinch w/ cable
tree savers
snatch block
tow rope
shovel

[quote author=theo link=board=1;threadid=4051;start=0#msg29880 date=1059752590]
You can learn a lot about the way your rig performs by relying on your wits instead of your pocketbook to get you out of trouble. Start with a highlift, a come-along, some stout rope, a snatch block, a shovel or pulaski, and tire chains. You'd be surprised how much trouble you can find just with these few simple tools!

[/quote]
This really is practical advice. After all people have been wheeling for years with open diff with minimal problems. I think it teaches you to read the conditions better and how use the momentum of your vehicle.
That said the ARB's are without peer off road and definately the best choice for on road use. Also considering resale value ARB's would add to the value of your rig while the detroit lockers might actually decrease the value of your rig.
If you have to have a cheap locker right now the best option is the lock-rite.
Personnally I'd wait till you have the dough for the ARB's and untill then use your brain to help keep out of trouble.
Sorry I guess the using your brain part was off topic but hey! so what! If you've got it use it.

yeah... i typically stay out of trouble... if its too iffy i turn around...

dont want to break the truck either

A guy I know who has ARBs puts it like this. "I only lock them up to get myself un-stuck. That way I abuse my truck less".
Makes sense to me (If you can afford them).

The man at ARB summed the comparison between Detroits and ARB air lockers.You can have the diff choose when to lock up (detroit) or you can choose when to lock(air locker).To be fair the detroit locker has a good reputation but ARB offered me a price $100 above the Detroit and I get an on board compressor and hose to pump my tyres up.

what about the ARB "running out of air"? does the air just engage the lock or does it need to keep pumping to keep the lock engaged?

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=4051;start=0#msg29974 date=1059806578]
A guy I know who has ARBs puts it like this. "I only lock them up to get myself un-stuck. That way I abuse my truck less".
Makes sense to me (If you can afford them).
[/quote]

A guy I know REALLY well (hint) put it like this. "I put a winch on the front but only to get unstuck. All of a sudden those steep and nasties looked more doable and I was getting stuck every other time out!"

If you want to get seriously into wheelin' then maybe lockers are right for you. But they have a very narrow range of applications and they're absolutely treacherous on ice. I found many uses, both on- and off-road, for my winch and would never trade it for lockers. I'll add lockers some day if I can afford them, but not to the exlcusion of good suspension and tires, a winch, and lots of practice.

I think the air is only for locking and unlocking and the compressor stores enough in its tank for a few movements. The problem with air is nearly always with half baked installations that allow the hoses to be damaged.Kept up and tied back they cant be holed.If they do get damaged they can be repaired easily with some tape or cut and rejoined with an air fitting.Even if it did fail you would just have go home in unlocked mode. All of the locker diffs have there drawbacks.When the self locking types fail they often take the whole diff with them.

Re::: detroit vs arb locker ::

I have both in my FJ40, and both in my Jeep TJ. Originally I ran 2 ARB's in my FJ40. One replacement, and two rebuilds later, I had an internal leak in the rear ARB and switched to a Detroit, as I was leaving for my first Moab trip in 3 weeks time and I wasn't going to miss it.

Turns out that I liked the Detroit in the rear well enough to go front ARB/rear Detroit in my daily driver Jeep TJ. On a trail like the Rubicon I was constantly switching the ARB on and off, and I liked having the Detroit just do it's thing.

You will have some driveablility issues with a Detroit on the street. I notice them less in the heavier vehicle. I seldom drive in snow or ice, if I did I don't believe I would have chosen a Detroit in the Jeep.

The ARB compressor is way slow for filling tires. I went with a York on the Jeep, and use regulated air to operate the ARB in the front. On my FJ40 I just installed a York, but continue to use the ARB compressor for the ARB. It is 9-10 years old and has never failed.

I have switched to braided stainless lines, due to leaking/breaking/melting issues with the plastic lines.

ARB as a company has been great to deal with for issues and for replacement parts, probably the best customer service I've seen.

Hope this information is useful.

ARB as a company has been great to deal with for issues and for replacement parts, probably the best customer service I've seen.
Shame it's the opposite in Australia. :(

Which one did you deal with Jonathon ?I been making enquiries through a Perth agent(there is 4 of them)and they seem ok. I got some bulls@#t quotes for detroit lockers from OL . I made out I was new to 4wd and they treated me like a sucker.

ARB Southern in Dandenong(Melbourne). I've never seen an Opposite Lock and have never been to TJM as they are'nt open reasonble hours. Kaymar were just all right, And their prices are slightly better than ARB's, But it's not worth the drive to Ringwood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom