delay wiper for fj40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was multi-tasking :confused: - wait, you answered my question before I asked it?

Wow!:poof:

Diagram is one thing, finding a plug for the harness is another.

I think I have posted this before, but VW had a relay that sets the intermittent wipers by turning them on and then off and back on for the interval you want, they also had a set delay relay too. I have a 73, so I don't think the OEM intermittent stuff will work with the older motor. I did think these VW guys had some good ideas though, and wondered if that relay could just be spliced into the low speed setting. Not like the high speed setting is really that fast on a 40. You would have your own interval intermittent on the slow position and then fast. Would work for me. This thread shows how it could be wired, or at least a close variation for us. Look into it some more, I recall finding a couple threads using this relay.

Aussieveedubbers - Tech Mods and Frequently asked Questions - How to: Intermittent Wipers - Powered by GaiaBB

I need coolerman to make me an adapter harness for the relay to the wiper switch and wire harness so no splicing of original harness would have to be done.

That VW set up is pretty cool. Gotta love German engineering. What do you get when you mix German with Japanese ???? Germanese ??? lol
I really think Coolerman's got a great plan though.Which has me thinking, what would be a clean oe appearing on off switch ?
Wander if a hazard or blower fan switch or maybe headlight switch because the knob turns for panel dimming could be used for changing the time delay would be a good option? Genuine Toyota, bulletproof and goes in a stock sized hole in the dash.It would look clean. Fill in and engrave "delay" on the knob??
Also,are the delay relays still available, and if so are they just as expensive as the intermittent switch ?
I did see on ebay,a universal delay module that looked like you could mount the unit behind the dash and have the knob extend thru a stock sized hole in the dash.It looks like it would not look that out of place.The knob is removable ,so I could probably figure a way to get a stock knob to fit on there and look stock.
Just thinking out loud.
Again great work guys , this is awesome !!!!

Before I fixed my brakes so they actually worked my horn was used constantly to warn drivers to get out of my way.

I've got coolerman working on a concept I have to use my steering wheel horn buttons to cycle the wipers when needed and install a separate horn button in the dash. Already had a factory hole there that was covered by one of those vintage inclinometer doo-dads. Just waiting for wiring instructions from Mark. I rarely need a horn but need a wipe almost daily. :eek:

I used one of those delay units to power a relay that toggled the ground. I mounted the rotary switch through an existing hole in my dash. The only ugly part is that I could not find an automotive style knob for it so I used a cheap hard plastic electronics one.

The cheapest way to do this is to buy one of the many wiper delay black boxes available on E-Bay and wire it in. This option gives you control from 2 seconds to 20 seconds by twisting a knob. Just remember that Toyota switches GROUND to activate the wiper!

There was another set up in addition to the mechanical points type that I have on my 84. It was from 81 and was an add on unit with a dial that turned it on and off as well as controlled the speed. It is better than the electo-mechanical type like my 84. I can not find the mechanical type on any parts lists- not the 4 position wiper switch..

Pete

The mechanical delay in my FJ60 used to make a horrid noise when I first got it. Took months to figure out what was squealing under the dash whenever you turned on the wipers. Oddly it would continue, even after you turned the wipers off for a few seconds.

Finally figured out it takes a few seconds for the timer to finish its run, even when the wipers are turned off. I opened it up and lubed the little gears with Crisco cooking grease over 10 years ago and it has never made any noise again. However, on cold days it now sticks and sometimes the wipers will not turn off, I think the points are corroded enough that they stick together or something, need to re-open it and figure what is going on.

Two questions for the experts: Tom, Pete, Mark.

I know there are both hot-switched wiper motors and ground-switched wiper motors. Tom's factory wiring diagram appears to show a wiper motor that is always "hot", but shows the slow speed and high speed functions ALSO sending a "hot" signal to the motor. Shouldn't the slow and high speed functions have a ground signal that they send to the wiper motor?

Secondly, why is a revolving gear intermittent device called a "relay"? Please educate me.

Looks like the Toyota wiper motor has multiple windings to derive the two speeds. Where as you could use a resistor in series to have a slow speed. Like my Ford Bronco heater motor. Slow speed is a resistor brought into the circuit to divide the voltage. But that resistor also lives inside the heater blower box so air moves over it to help keep it cool since a resistor is going to get real hot.
But looking at that Toyota diagram, there are multiple windings on the motor.
It is odd they call that revolving gear/relay mechanism the 'relay' but I guess in the end it IS a relay since the gears are just there to time when the relay opens and closes.

Looking at all the other wiring diagrams for the various J4x vehicles from 1976 onward (some with intermittent wiper operations, others without), either wiper motors are grounded and receive a "hot" signal to operate, or they are "hot" and receive a ground signal; no motors are shown to be both "hot" and grounded.
However, the Toyota diagram from Tom shows a "hot" motor with its signaling being done by "hot" switches !?? Is this possible, or am I reading this incorrectly?

Opinions welcomed.

Tom's diagram does indeed show that the switch appears to be switching hot, not ground. If you look at a 1982 FJ40 schematic you will see the exact same thing. I don't know if the schematics were drawn wrong or if the switch table columns are labeled wrong or what. Some one would have to take a meter and determine which it is.

I did what Coolerman did works great on my 66

IMG_1393.JPG

I had the exact same issue with my mechanical unit! Terrible racket! Greased it and filed the point smooth at the same time.

Pete

This is the exact same unit that came on my 1980 truck from the factory (but mine is 24v):

Vintage MIB Mitsuba IS-O Intermittent Control Wiper Switch 12V

It spices into the factory wiring and the adjustable speed feature is worth it alone. Here's a shot of the one for my truck that I don't go to sto and the adjustable speed feature is worth it alone. Here's a shot of the one for my truck that I dug out of storage this morning.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm only half listening to this conversation so I apologize if this is a redundant question/ statement - - so if we just use the three position switch and interrupt the slow speed with the above timer we would have off/ variable delay/ fast... Yes/No? I could live with that if @Coolerman made a jumper harness with a factory type plug for the wiper switch. I believe I have a dummy hole in the dash where that timer could go.

Yup, new product would sell. Beats doing a manual swipe of the blades every 15 seconds.

Tom's diagram does indeed show that the switch appears to be switching hot, not ground. If you look at a 1982 FJ40 schematic you will see the exact same thing. I don't know if the schematics were drawn wrong or if the switch table columns are labeled wrong or what. Some one would have to take a meter and determine which it is.
In order to use a stock switch and relay, you have to rewire the motor to switch hot.

The new version is 5500yen at the one place I looked.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom