Deformed Spindle Nut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I broke my birfield offloading and on the way back I had to stop because my ds hub was smoking. Turns out what we thought was a stopped hub, is a broken birfield. I believe all the bearings are shot now so I'm having to do a whole knuckle rebuild basically. Anyway, the problem is the spindle and nuts got so hot it deformed and my only thought is to try and get in the with a grinder, are there any other options? The socket doesn't fit obviously. Also, what birfield should I go with now, it's a DD. Thanks
uhoh.47931

So the socket wont fit AFTER you bent back the tabs on the lock washer? I would just use a cold chisel like lots of folks have done and hammer it off.

How's the spindle doing? Agree with the chisel method. You mention hubs, so you're part time I'm assuming? I went with RCV axles and haven't had a problem. I blew up my factory rear axle and spun both shafts' splines two weeks ago, and the rcv's got me out of the Rubicon with only power to one rear wheel, and I'm on 37's. The only drawback is if you have aisin hubs, you need to chop off the outer clip groove so thet don't bottom out in the hub itself. Otherwise, I'm very happy with their performance. If you're not part time, I'd rethink chromo shafts/birfs on a DD as they don't wear the same.

So the socket wont fit AFTER you bent back the tabs on the lock washer? I would just use a cold chisel like lots of folks have done and hammer it off.
The socket won't fit bbecause now the spindle and nuts are ovals.

How's the spindle doing? Agree with the chisel method. You mention hubs, so you're part time I'm assuming? I went with RCV axles and haven't had a problem. I blew up my factory rear axle and spun both shafts' splines two weeks ago, and the rcv's got me out of the Rubicon with only power to one rear wheel, and I'm on 37's. The only drawback is if you have aisin hubs, you need to chop off the outer clip groove so thet don't bottom out in the hub itself. Otherwise, I'm very happy with their performance. If you're not part time, I'd rethink chromo shafts/birfs on a DD as they don't wear the same.
I am full time now, but have hubs to put in for part time.

I tried to insert the IMG but here's just the link: Uhoh

i just had something similar happen 2 weeks ago. i had to drill a progressively larger and larger hole in the side of the spindle nut then a chisel and a hammer . a few wacks and it split allowing the nut to come right off. (wear safety glasses) then i sent Deo (he's in the part out section and lives in gainsvile fl )a message to send me a new spindle (don't try to reuse the spindle if the threads are messed up its not worth the risk). be sure to not torque the inner spindle nut more than 4 Lbs. and the outer spindle nut 45Lbs. otherwise you will be doing the rebuild again .. ask me how i know.. you can find the how to video on youtube. cheers

Last edited:
i just had something similar happen 2 weeks ago. i had to drill a progressively larger and larger hole in the side of the spindle nut then a chisel and a hammer . a few wacks and it split allowing the nut to come right off. (wear safety glasses) then i sent Deo (he's in the part out section and lives in gainsvile fl )a message to send me a new spindle (don't try to reuse the spindle if the threads are messed up its not worth the risk). be sure to not torque the inner spindle nut more than 4 Lbs. and the outer spindle nut 45Lbs. otherwise you will be doing the rebuild again .. ask me how i know.. you can find the how to video on youtube. cheers
I'm a friend of Deo, I live just across town actually... I will give your method a try. Can I just get the 30 spline birfield joint they have on just differentials? Probably for both sides? Thanks

Dude, that looks like the spindle is pretty F'd up too. I'd just take a dremel and cut it all out.

Dude, that looks like the spindle is pretty F'd up too. I'd just take a dremel and cut it all out.
Do you guys think an aftermarket spindle would be okay? I'm having trouble finding used ones.

be sure to not torque the inner spindle nut more than 4 Lbs. and the outer spindle nut 45Lbs. otherwise you will be doing the rebuild again .. ask me how i know.. you can find the how to video on youtube. cheers

Lots of guys running 30-35 ft-lb on the inner nut for years without issue...

if they have their spindle nut at 35 lbs with out prob. they are very lucky... mine was not so kind. FSM says 4 lbs. on the inner nut . 45 or 47 on the outer nut.

if they have their spindle nut at 35 lbs with out prob. they are very lucky... mine was not so kind. FSM says 4 lbs. on the inner nut . 45 or 47 on the outer nut.

Not being a smartaxx but was yours at 4 lbs, and failed?

4lbs is REALLY loose for that spindle nut.

48 in lbs :rolleyes:

Yup I would cut it all out and start form scratch form the spindle out and birfs, As to inner spindle nut 15-35ft/lb for new bearings is going to be fine, and 15-25 for repacks, they are BIG LOW SPEED relatively high tolerance bearings they will handle it fine. They like to be overly tight more than overly lose.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom