1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defender 90 vs the FJ Cruiser

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Noisycow, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Noisycow

Noisycow

I have a buddy that has a '97 stock D90 and claims it is the end all of all 4x4s. I also have two friends that work at the local LR dealership. I know the D90 is a nice truck or people would not still be looking to buy them when they stopped importing them in '97. Are they so GOOD that they leave an FJ behind off-road? Talking stock-to-stock here.

I am sure the FJ is better on the road and all. Lets say - driver's skill being equal - is the FJ an offroad match for the D90?

I remember in about '96 I was at the dealer sitting in a D90 thinking it was really a tin can. I about gagged when I saw the $39k price tag. :eek: Never would have imagined the resale would hold up so well though.

2. OZCAL

OZCAL

3. flounder

flounder

it depends on which forum your on. Here the FJ is better. Go to discoweb.org or defender90.com and the wtf is an FJ

It's impossible to compare the two because the FJ is much further technically than the 90 is. The 90 is a bare bones offroader and has always been that way. Now Ford is looking to fawk up that tradition but that's a whole different thread.

That said, I'd take the Defender over the FJ anyday, just because I've always loved the styling of the Defender

4. Felix

Felix

I've wheeled with a Defender 90 in my FJ40, and it's not bad. I'd say the D90 vs. FJC discussion is comparable to the FJC vs. FJ40 discussion in terms of off-road ability. Of course, reliability is something else.

The main complaint from the driver of the D90 was visibility. He claimed that he couldn't really tell where the corners were.

5. woody

woody the internet is just a fad... Staff Member

stock to stock, I'd end up with the D90....solid axles, coil suspension, very capable....they are very capable out of the box, and while there are places that the FJC will shine, the D90 will IMO be a better overall offroad performer.

reliability, the FJC....roadability, the FJC...

6. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

the d90's around here are just a flashy outdoor lifestyle accessory. I still have never seen one with a speck of dirt or dust on it. There seems to be a bunch of $2500.00 discovery's for sale recently, how would one of those wheel compared to a fjc. Are the discovery's that big of a POS that they are only worth $2500.00?

hell, here is one for $800

7. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

On paper the 90 is a 1st rate 4x4 in terms of out of the box off roadability.
    Its downfall is that it is only slightly faster and more comfortable than its ancestors were 30 years ago.

Imagine if Landcruiser were still using the same 4 cyl diesel engine that they used in 1970!!??
    Part of the reason is that while the armies of the world that use these were still happy with the design,LR saw no reason to improve them.

Once upon a time LR ruled the aussie landscape .All that come to a halt when Toyota upped their shipments and aussies realised a 4x4 could be comfortable and fast,relatively speaking.

Im going wheeling with a 1993 110 Defender monday,time permitting.
    I know there wont be much between us offroad but I do know that if it rains I wont get wet feet and the ride to and from our wheeling spot will be quicker and more comfortable for me.

As for the comparison with a FJcruiser,it doesnt really make sense. Apples and Oranges.

LR have stopped selling the 90 swb after its return from its 30 year absence from our shores.Its only availble by order now.
    I guess the lesson was never learnt;)

Maybe things will turn around when the rumoured all new model comes out.

8. Zimm

Zimm

thats a disco, not a defender.

9. DuManchu

DuManchu

I personally would take the D90 over the FJC, just because I think Defender's are freakin sweet. And like woody said, out of the box the D90 is a more "capable" machine.

10. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

And the Land Rover problems arent all they are cracked up to be. My wife's Range Rover has been nothing but reliable save for the stupid electrical bugs, but they have been more irritating than anything.

11. Tigerstripe40

Tigerstripe40

Imagine if you could buy a BRAND NEW tub for an FJ40 NEW from toyota?
    Imagine if you could buy a BRAND NEW frame for an FJ40 NEW from toyota?

Imagine being able to get ANY part ever made for an FJ40 or, a more modern equivalent that bolts in place of the original?

No need to put chevy parts into your toyota because Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, decided to discontinue a wheel cylinder, or a heater core (ever try to find a rear heater core?).

So yeah, the Land Rover has some drawbacks, but they also have alot of positives.

12. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

thank you Capt. Obvious:D

13. mickey_rubicon

mickey_rubicon

I used have an 89 Range Rover which has the exact same running gear as a defender (had 35s and ARBs and wheeled like anything should with lockers and 35s), and I also have gone on wheeling trips with Defenders and other LRs. Like I always say and it always makes the cruiserheads mad, the key is the skill of the driver not the make of the vehicle. An idiot driving an FJcruiser will get stuck and a seasoned wheeler will keep on trucking. No sense comparing vehicles. Only way to compare is to use the same driver, on the same course and see how he does with a D90 or an FJcruiser. Personally, I will pick the defender 90 any day over the FJcruiser just based on plain appearance. If the D90 had an ARB in the rear to match the FJ rear locker, the same driver will get get stuck further down the trail in the D90 than the FJcruiser, there is no comparison. D90 all the way. That would be like comparing an FJ62 to an H2 :) The FJ62 will smoke that H2.

14. KArmstrong

KArmstrong

Careful there James. I've got a modded Disco and a box stock '97 D90 in the garage.

Ford, in their infinite wisdom, have begun to discontinue many parts. Certainly they all seem to be available from the aftermarket. After wheeling the Disco for trhe past twelve years, the only thing the Defender has going for it is the lack of rear overhang ( It is kinda fun to drive though :) )

Oh, and our D90 is one of the shiney ones :( the Discovery gets all the dents.

15. brian

brian SILVER Star

landcruisers had an inline 6 gas motor in 1970;) .........:flipoff2:

16. brian

brian SILVER Star

try getting any part, from ford, for a '78/9 bronco....the'res none to be had from them. thankfuly they have a pretty strong aftermarket.....luckly for my buddy.

17. Shahram

Shahram I ain't got herpes no more. SILVER Star

Think about it...

You can buy a rust-free Disco here in So Cal for around $3-$4k. Put $3k in mods/repairs into it, strip it down to its roots, simplify/modify the electrics to run a little more reliably, and you've got a comfy, capable four wheeler, for about what...$7k?

There's a 2000 Disco II, fully loaded with 98k in good condition, solid front axles, seats six, v8 petrol, for $6500 on craigolisto right now in L.A.

Where else you gonna find a truck like that, six years old, for $6500?

The money you save in initial cost can buy a ****load of mods and repairs/maintenance, that's for sure.

There's also a '94 Disco for $3k OBO, with 110k miles. Three thousand dollars! How many people would spend more than $3k on a stock Jeep or Bronco to build a trail queen? Plenty. With some mods and re-working, I bet you could turn that Disco into a semi-reliable, serious trail machine for under $7k.

These things have crazy articulation and a serious aftermarket. I bet a little know-how and some tools could address their reliability problems.

18. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

I think this is about right and some of the earlier comments are also great. But one thing people keep forgetting is the FJC has a factory rear locker and something comparable up front. That wins the FJC in both categories for me. But that said I'd probably still take the D90 over it also for the styling..

19. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

D90's drivetrains have been improved and they are lightyears above their old crappy 4 cyls and throaty 4 speed and top speed of about 50 and all sorts of other crappy loud stuff and ****ty suspension and all. That said again I loved the styling. Great around town novelty car but that was about it for the old ones. The D90 's though still gutless and guzzlers, at least had 5 speeds and a V8 and some other neat things..

20. Darwood

Darwood

Yeah but a rear locker is required in a IFS to compensate for IFS vs a solid front axle, though I have to admit the electronic goodies do push the scales a little bit more.