dead battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:( well last week or so the cruiser was running fine after i changed out the alternator. but after a week or so it would not start. the battery is also new but it has been recharged because the alternator was overcharging and that is why i replaced the alternator. the battery never spilled over, but i needed to jump start it today. i took the alternator off today and had it tested and it check out good. i am wondering if it is maybe the voltage regulator or maybe some wire is not gounded. any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks jason

Do you have a multimeter? If so, test the battery's voltage with the truck off and come back with the answer. you might want to get it tested, my bad alternator toasted a 6 month old optima.
Is your amp guage operating? If so, it should rarely, be under the halfway mark if the volt. reg and alt are operating correctly.

sorry it took so long to get back but i have some answers. battery voltage without cruiser running is 12.38. with cruiser at idle the battery reads 13.06 when i rev it up the voltage jumps to 13.77. then i tested the alternator and found that at idle it reads 14.03, than i reved it up and it read 16.45. then i checked the amps and found that it would not read it then 18.92 flashed and the multimeter and the ground test line was hot and started to melt. so that was the end of that. also the amp meter will peg out with the engine reving. the alternator and the voltage regulator are new. the alternator came from autozone and the regulator came from cool cruiser of texas. the battery is also less then 6 months old. i am also thinking about going to the toyota dealer and just ordering the toyota parts instead of this cheap stuff. any help and advice would be great. thanks jason

The in truck ammeter should NEVER be pegged. Even is you get the truck going after a jump and your battery is dead it should just show a slight + but NEVER EVER be pegged either high or low.

[quote author=ec130hamt link=board=1;threadid=4707;start=msg43139#msg43139 date=1064021816]
sorry it took so long to get back but i have some answers. battery voltage without cruiser running is 12.38. with cruiser at idle the battery reads 13.06 when i rev it up the voltage jumps to 13.77. then i tested the alternator and found that at idle it reads 14.03, than i reved it up and it read 16.45. then i checked the amps and found that it would not read it then 18.92 flashed and the multimeter and the ground test line was hot and started to melt. so that was the end of that. also the amp meter will peg out with the engine reving. the alternator and the voltage regulator are new. the alternator came from autozone and the regulator came from cool cruiser of texas. the battery is also less then 6 months old. i am also thinking about going to the toyota dealer and just ordering the toyota parts instead of this cheap stuff. any help and advice would be great. thanks jason
[/quote]

"the alternator came from autozone and the regulator came from cool cruiser of texas. "

This is EXACTLY your problem! :whoops:

"i am also thinking about going to the toyota dealer and just ordering the toyota parts instead of this cheap stuff"

This is EXACTLY the answer! :)

the parts store crap is just that crap! who cares if it;s lifetime replacement if it only last 6 months and takes out your battery(BTW you battery is toast and needs to be replaced, 12.3 not good)

You don't say what model cruiser but OEM is prolly the best bet. Mean Green makes a hi out put alt for some Cruisers, not 62 or 80 however, I have not used one. Had very good luck with the Toyota re-man alts. When it comes to rebuilt or re-manufactured they are NOT the same thing, re-manufactured is just like new(all but the case I think), rebuilt is.....just replace what is broke and r-sell it, might last.....might not.......BIG difference IMOP.

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom