Dash Configuration Reference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

06/1983 RHD BJ42 LX (Australian)
*no side window defrost

Dash from passenger side to drivers side top then bottom (RHD)

TOP ROW LEFT SIDE OF STEERING WHEEL
*digital clock works great
*top left blank in which I added a toggle for front ARB Air Locker
*Hazard switch
*Warm pull
*Top right blank in which I added a toggle for rear ARB Air locker
*digital gauges 4WD, Brake booster vacuum, Park Brake

BOTTOM ROW LEFT SIDE OF STEERING WHEEL
*cigarette lighter
*fresh air pull
*Fan speed
*3 speed wiper control (first speed intermittent with auto return)
*glow plug indicator
*Stereo of course and Ashtray next to it

DASH
*was in KPH but changed to MPH/ KPH with 6 digit odometer, factory 50 amp

RIGHT SIDE OF STEERING WHEEL

*Factory Tach
*factory diesel fuel water seperator indicator light, same place and indentical to glow plug indicator but other side
*Headlight switch (was non lighted but switched to U.S lighted switch
*below headlight switch is the factory throttle knob
*Factory A/C controller was mounted closer to stereo but I mounted it under my steering wheel with Auber EGT velcroed to it.
*Wilson switch mounted next to throttle knob

Rob
DSC01542.JPG
DSC00956.jpg
stereo.JPG

switch

I have an aftermarket switch in that spot that runs my carb fan.

I am wondering the same thing I just got my 40 this week and it's a 78 and has the same switch I am not sure what it does yet haven't dug into my wiring.

This dash is for an April/72 40, no idea if it's stock correct...

white knob (no idea what it does)
the cowl vent is down by the heater

In the same spot you have your white knob. I have hole?? Not sure what its for...its shown in the SOR diagrams but its just a black mark with no label??? on mine its the same size and notched just like the blinker right above it.

Can I talk you into showing me a pic of up under your dash so I can see how the cowl vent pull rod is attached to the dash???

My girl was built in AUG of 72

In the same spot you have your white knob. I have hole?? Not sure what its for...its shown in the SOR diagrams but its just a black mark with no label??? on mine its the same size and notched just like the blinker right above it.

Can I talk you into showing me a pic of up under your dash so I can see how the cowl vent pull rod is attached to the dash???

The hole where he has the white knob is the 4wd engaged indicator light. Looks like a previous owner re-purposed that hole for an additional knob instead of drilling another hole in the dash.

4/1978 fj40

here was a shot i took during the build... the obvious defroster and stock holes are there... only non-stock are the grab bar handles which i left for future...

also the radio deck was not filled in to standard size (my fault, did not notice during build... noobie mistake:mad:) i had another plate made and painted to match factory radio...

i will try to take a new photo with all things installed stickers/etc...
DASH.jpg

Roberto, I thought all the glove box doors had the twist knob starting in 1981 model year??

Last edited:

Sure, I'll try to get a picture of that and post it for you in the next day or so. The knob does pull out, but it seems as though it opens the vent when it's pushed in. I'm not sure if that's right or not.

The hole where he has the white knob is the 4wd engaged indicator light. Looks like a previous owner re-purposed that hole for an additional knob instead of drilling another hole in the dash.

Pavie, what color was the 4wd indicator light? Im going to see if I can track one down. If nothing else it will fill the hole until I can see if I can rig it to work.

Pavie, what color was the 4wd indicator light? Im going to see if I can track one down. If nothing else it will fill the hole until I can see if I can rig it to work.

The bulb itself is clear. I believe the glass lens is either green or red depending on year. I'm unable to confirm on mine since the bulb hasn't worked since I owned the rig. It's on my list of things to fix at some point!

Since no one has added a 1970, here's a shot of my semi restored 9/1970 FJ40 dash. All knobs are original with the exception of the throttle knob. I just removed cleaned up and painted. Throttle knob was a reproduction by amaurer.

Picture%20026.jpg

Left Dash: from Clockwise Upper Left. Parking brake indicator, left turn signal, ignition, and headlights.

Picture%20028.jpg

Middle Dash: Clockwise from Upper left: Right turn signal, choke knob, throttle knob (reproduction), hazard knob, cigarette lighter, interior dome light, heater vent open, heater knob rear, heater knob front, windshield wipers, Front Drive indicator light.
Under dash: Front Drive pull knob, fresh air hood vent pull knob.

Picture%20030.jpg

Middle right dash: Clockwise from upper left: Front/Rear gas tank selector (aftermarket), Glove box, interior light plugged hole for FST, and ashtray (stock color, not repainted.
Grab bar is after market, and not original with holes drilled into the lower dash pad and bolted through to glove box and below ashtray.

Picture%20031.jpg

Right Dash: Glove box door, interior light plug.

Last edited:
With the exception of the lower FD knob, that's probably exactly how the dash of early 72 should look. I wonder if I could a "non-working" hand throttle knob to put in the blank location on mine...and figure some kinda knob to put where my white one is!

With the exception of the lower FD knob, that's probably exactly how the dash of early 72 should look. I wonder if I could a "non-working" hand throttle knob to put in the blank location on mine...and figure some kinda knob to put where my white one is!

As I mentioned in my post, my throttle knob is not original as well. Was the only missing knob that didn't come with the rig. You can get Amaurer to make you an exact copy of my throttle knob, since he used my 9/70 knob as a template, so it will match your other year specific knobs. He can make them in whatever thread you want. Mine is just secured on the backside with a bolt and nut until/if I decide to rebuild a new throttle mechanism on the backside. Here's the thread where you can find out more about the reproduction knobs.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-com...tomized-oem-repro-knobs-buttons-shifters.html

As I mentioned in my post, my throttle knob is not original as well. Was the only missing knob that didn't come with the rig. You can get Amaurer to make you an exact copy of my throttle knob, since he used my 9/70 knob as a template, so it will match your other year specific knobs. He can make them in whatever thread you want. Mine is just secured on the backside with a bolt and nut until/if I decide to rebuild a new throttle mechanism on the backside. Here's the thread where you can find out more about the reproduction knobs.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-com...tomized-oem-repro-knobs-buttons-shifters.html

I've noticed that all of your knobs look new. Did you refurbish them or did you buy new knobs/switches?

I've noticed that all of your knobs look new. Did you refurbish them or did you buy new knobs/switches?

I removed and restored all the original knobs. There is a thread on mud about how to do it. Fairly easy process just time consuming. The hardest part was getting a few of the upper dash knobs loosened from the backside. 40 years of build up made it the hardest part of the process.

Here is the dash of my HJ47

HJ47DashRHD4.jpg

Sorry it is blury with try for a better pic next time I am working on her..

Here is the dash of my LHD US Spec 83 FJ40 with air con, p/s and 5 speed. Note she is missing the right side lower dash pad in this shot.

Cf the shot of the RHD BJ42 LX above.

Josh
piglet dash centre.JPG

I thought the sticker didn't show up until '79 with the cats. Kinda looks like a "foremost' restoration pic.

My 05/78 has the sticker.
5799299606_186f2058b5_b.jpg

5799298528_8eb3ff4359_b.jpg

pR

Last edited:
Unmolested

For those of us who rescued our cruisers from booger eaters with such innovative technology as drilling a bunch of 1/16 holes in a 1/2 inch circle instead of getting the right sized drill bit, pictures of the "empty" dash - showing correct holes without lights and knobs - would also be very helpful.

Here's an un-boogered dash from a 76 with no knobs etc.
100_0920.jpg
100_0921.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom