Dash Cap Warning-ebay

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by tat2matt, Jan 13, 2012.

1. tat2matt

tat2matt

OK So I thought I got a deal buying a fj60 dash cap on ebay. The seller is coopers234 and had loads of them for sale. here is the actual listing eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

The following are my emails back and forth with him.

Dear coppers234,

Hi , I received the dash cap I won and it has a small crack on the drivers side. I wasn't worried about it seeing it wouldn't really show BUT it doesn't fit. It's off by nearly 1/2 inch across the entire back. Please advise as to how best to resolve. matt

Dear tat2matt,

FIRST OFF YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT THE CRACK AS IT WAS PROBABLY DAMAGED IN SHIPPING & WE WOULD GLADLY REPLACE. THE SECOND PART RE: FIT IS PUZZLING SINCE THE DASHCAP IS MADE DIRECTLY OFF THE ACTUAL FACTORY DASH & WE SELL 1,0000'S OF THESE WITH NO MAJOR FIT PROBLEMS. SINCE YOU ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM THO I WILL HAVE SOME ONE FROM OUR TECHNICAL SERVICES GROUP CALL YOU SO WE CAN RESOLVE FIT ISSUE FOR YOU. THANX, STEVE

- coppers234

Dear coppers234,

Thanks Steve, I have bought two other dash caps from Spector for two other fj60 restorations and they have fit spot on. Thanks for looking out for this, I hate not leaving the 5 star feedback and hoped that you guys would make it rite. Matt

Dear tat2matt,

TECHNICAL SERVICES WILL DISCUSS ALSO SOMETIMES THERE CAN BE SWELLING IN THE OLD ORIGINAL FACTORY DASH WHICH WE MAY HAVE TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION BUT WE CAN DISCUSS THAT THEN

- coppers234

Dear coppers234,

I didn't hear from anyone in your tech services today. Is there something I can do to move this in the rite direction?

- tat2matt

I didn't hear anything more so I opened a claim in ebay resolution center.

From Ebay:
    Additional information:
    "The item came with minor damage that I was willing to overlook BUT it doesn't fit the vehicle as described. I contacted the seller and he said that his technical services would contact me but to date has not."

Dear tat2matt,

THE TECH SERVICES PERSON WAS SICK BUT YOU WENT AHEAD DESPITE MY EMAILS & FILED A COMPALINT I GUESS

- coppers234

Hi tat2matt,

The seller has responded to you and offered another solution to solve this issue.

Seller's message:
    "WE JUST RECEIVED HIS EMAIL ON 1-10 & WE RESPONDED IMMEDITALTELY. WE NEVER QUESTIONED THE CRACK & HONERED IT IMMEDIATELY & GLADLY TOLD HIM WE WOULD WORK TO A RESOLUTION. WE NEVER QUESTIONED WHETHER HE DAMAGED IT HIMSELF OR IT CAME IN SHIPPING ,BUT NO REPORT OF DAMAGE WAS REOPORTED TO UPS PER POLICY. AS FOR FIT WE SHIPPED ANOTHER ONE OUT IMMEDIATELY THE NEXT DAY # 1ZAIV7770345816020 FOR HIM TO FIT & IN ADDITION WE ARE HAVING TECHNICAL SERVICES CONTACT HIM REGARDING FIT SO WE CAN RESOLVE. SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE IMPATIENT SINCE HE JUST REPORTED IT THE 10TH, WE RESHIPPED THE 11TH & ARE WAITING TECHNICAL SERVICES TO CONTACT HIM"

To date there has been NOTHING sent the tracking number he left goes no place and he won't turn off the all caps making it seem like he is yelling at me.

SO fellow mud members beware that this dash cap doesn't fit it's off by nearly 1/2 inch and Steve aka coopers234 likes to yell.

2. Gadjeep

Gadjeep

Good to know.

3. Joe_E

Joe_E

14,600 feedbacks at 99.7 positive is pretty damn good.
    Just sayin.

4. tat2matt

tat2matt

I'm with you on that one. I haven't yet left any feedback but UPS did come today,BUT they did not bring me a new dash cap but came with a sticker to take the old one back. Unless I'm missing something in his email he never said that was happening.

5. Cpalmer

Cpalmer

Do not buy from this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been meaning to post on here that his caps crack in just a couple of months.

6. 2sun62

2sun62

Sorry to here about ur situation,

Wen shopping for a dash cap I almost bought one from him cause it seemed like a good deal,
    but I decided to go with CruiserCorps & now im glad I did. They shipped it quickly & it was a perfect fit.
    Saving a few buck isnt allways the best way to go.
    Hope ur issue gets resolved.

7. Joe_E

Joe_E

o.k., now that's not good news no matter how many positive feedbacks...

8. tat2matt

tat2matt

That is one of the problems with the fleabay feedback system. It's based on the transaction not the quality at month one two or beyond. I'm holding out hope that he makes it rite but with reservation. I will say that the quality is not as good as the ones from spector granted the price isn't but half of spectors.

9. slacker24-7

slacker24-7

I always hold off on offering feed back to see the product and the over all experience. good to know on this seller, i have been looking at dash caps myself..

10. Cpalmer

Cpalmer

Sorry for my last post without much explanation. I bought one a couple of months ago after buying my 60. The price was the big factor in why I bought from this guy, but as they say, you get what you pay for... I asked him a couple of questions before I bought it like if there were any other colors, etc. In all his responses weren't blatantly rude, but not very friendly either. When I got the cap it looked very good, unfortunately I was too quick to give him positive feedback, before I painted it I test fit it and noticed that it didn't fit very well. On mine it would fit, but you had to really force it to work, plus around the instrument cluster it didn't appear to fit well either. Several years ago I bought a cap from JC Whitney for a 87 Suburban and had pretty much the same experience with it as I did with the one for my 60. So, I did what I usually do in a situation like this, I convinced myself I could make it work! Anyway, I painted it and put it in the truck, after getting it in I noticed a gap where it didn't completely cover the dash. After all this, I still just wrote it off as a bad experience... UNTIL THE OTHER DAY WHEN I NOTICED THE 2" CRACK FORMING WHERE THE DASH CURVES UP AT THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. This is where it fit the worst, I guess over time the cap finally gave in to being stretched. I remember too that his directions says you should always keep the dash covered to prevent cracks in hot sun.... If I have to do this why the heck would I buy a new dash cover in the first place!!!

11. tat2matt

tat2matt

If there are enough of us in need of GOOD dash caps maybe someone can put together a group buy?

12. tat2matt

tat2matt

Further communication.

You have responded to the seller. Jan 14, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Your message to the seller:
    "The emails back and forth are all documented with ebay. The claim to have sent out another item is yet to be substantiated either via the tracking number or otherwise. To date no feedback has been left and claims of impatients on my part are simply unnecessary. prudent buying on my part and feeling the need to document my experience is no reason to throw stones. I'm simply giving the seller a chance to make the situition rite before leaving any feedback whatsoever."

The seller has responded to your case with other solution. Jan 15, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    Seller's message:
    "HE HAS BEEN COMMUNICATED WTIH ON EVERY EMAIL HE HAS SENT & THE NEW TRACKING # IS LISTED RIGHT ON HERE. HE CHOSE THIS METHOD TO COMMUNICATE SO WE HAVE TO COMMUNICATE ON THIS DOCUMENT."

13. Kurtis

Kurtis

Whatever happened with this? I am assuming all of these on ebay are similar?

14. TheJackRabbit

TheJackRabbit

Sangre de Christo Mtns of North Central NM.
    What is a "dash cap"?

15. The Machinist

The Machinist There was homework?!

Piece of plastic that matches the contours of the dash, gets glued on, and poof, new looking dash.

I'll just keep mine the way it is... They seem like bandaids to me...

16. ojaij40

ojaij40

:confused: Got a picture?

17. The Machinist

The Machinist There was homework?!

18. Hugh Heifer

Hugh Heifer Stapler....where's my stapler. ... SILVER Star

19. ojaij40

ojaij40

20. TheJackRabbit

TheJackRabbit

Sangre de Christo Mtns of North Central NM.
    Thanks. I was thinking this went on top of the dash. From the link I see it is the dash face. Anyone make them in wood- burled walnut vener like in an old Jaguar? Perhaps a Land Cruiser application should be bamboo?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013