D shackles tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have Green Pin D shackles? I found some on Amazon as a Prime item.
I believe these are made by Vanbeest, which is a very reputable company.
From what I have read in the past, Vanbeest is made in Holland and should be on the same level as Crosby (made in the USA.) Crosby shackles cost about $30-$35 a piece + shipping, GreenPin in the link below is $17 and free shipping.
Looking to see if GreenPin shackles are forged, if they are, these are a great value.
I currently have 4 s***tyBilt bought from Amazon, I haven't used them at all and I doubt they will break but I want that peace of mind! Don't want a chunk of metal flying at me or anyone else in the way, recovery disaster pictures scare me.

@NLXTACY @Qball

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:
Crosby, Columbus Mckinnon, or Van Beest are what you want. Get rated shackles ( as opposed to Smitty-built that are not rated) and be happy for years. Also get a few Chinese shackles to lend out.

Remember that shackles never fail in our applications. You just don't want to be the first. You are not talking big money for even the best shackles. Not a place to skimp.

Thanks @Cruiserdrew, from what I've gathered on the web, Smitty-Bilt D shackles are cast so they can afford to sell for $10 a piece.
But $17.50 for a Green Pin kind of raised the flag for me, equivalent sized Van beest D shackles are $25-$30 a piece.
I just want to confirm that these Green Pin shackles are the real deal.

I had about 50-60 of 3/4" to 1-1/4" Crosby and MC bolt/nut shackles at one time.. I got to confiscate many....Pretty much given all of them away over the past few years. Many of the Oil and Gas/Power sector companies basically banned the style due to failures. Although I never saw this happen.. the ban was based on two reasons.. 1) Under extreme load the pin would fracture at the cotter pin hole and run into the main bolt/pin body. 2) The bolt/pin under load would back out and then the cotter pin would shear. The nut would back off and in some incident and near miss reports the pin/bolt was either completely disengaged from the shackle (allowing the strap/cable/chains to pull out), and/or nut was either missing or loose.

For recovery I personally am comfortable with them, just thought I'd share a little safety factoid.

J

Hmmm very good info, I doubt we will see that kind of failure for our use, but good to know.
Good point with the muddy environment @Tapage, I guess I will stick with the regular screw pin.

Hi all,

I believe Tapage is referring to the "safety bolt" version of these shackles (to which I agree.) The standard "screw collar" version works fine.

Regards,

Alan

that one should be incredible to hard to work with in a muddy environment ..

I've switched to soft shackles. Way safer than D shackles and they can be used to wrap around B pillars without damaging bodywork.

Soft shackles are not rated for shock loads, but are really cool for static loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom