"D" for Drive light in dash display (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I fixed mine a wile ago, Now I really with that I had not. it is annoying but not annoying enough to pull the cluster for.

Funny, didn't realize this was an epidemic problem.... I actually thought it was the switch contact in the gear selector lever, not the dash light.

I guess I should be glad it's out, if having it on is considered annoying!

Funny thing is this thread was in the wrong section............it should be in the 100's section

READ THE FIRST POST BACK IN 03

Mine quit last year some time. I drove my buddy's that has a functional light the other night and hated it. I'm not fixing mine.

.... I actually thought it was the switch contact in the gear selector lever, not the dash light.

FWIW - My "D" light has been known to flicker on and off in response to slighly wiggling the shifter. If my light goes out and I actually want to try and fix it, not sure where I'd start...

Funny thing is this thread was in the wrong section............it should be in the 100's section

READ THE FIRST POST BACK IN 03

back in 03 the 100 and 80 were lumped together in the same forum so at the time it was in the right section.

:cheers:
Mine was out on my 97. Before you tear into the dash, give it a good open handed smack on the clear gauge face panel. Mine came right on and hasn't gone out since. I'm curious to see if it works for anyone else. ;p

Just wanted to say HUGE thanks! I have read as much as I could about fixing my CEL. Finally found the FAQ about the paperclip jumper. Had it all set up & ready to go & then....NO O/D light! Was I pissed... Went down to AutoZone to have them check it, only to be told that my '93's too old. More pissed... More reading, found your fix for the "D" in the PRNDLL & decided to give it a whack (pun intended) Man oh Man! I love something that you can fix by whacking on it. Son of a gun if that O/D light didn't come on. Now over the next few days, I will actually be able to figure out what is the problem. PO said it came on once & then went off & never came back. Think that was a bit of an exaggeration since the thing has come on 3-4 times in the last week. I re-set it every time. Now to find the problem & then I'll work on replacing the bulb(s). You all ROCK! Thanks again. :cheers:

Cary, great instructions dude! Mine's been out since I bought it. Knowing my hands are bigger than my tires I think I'll move on to more important things.

2x on when the light is out I know I'm in drive.:flipoff2:

mine's out but doesn't really bother me either-except the fact that my buddy's 93 with almost 200k on it is still working and mines a 97 with 109k. are they different bulbs for the newer dash?? i'm sure gonna give it a wack just to see if it works.

I just replaced my "D" light and took some pictures for reference. It was a bit involved, but it was more of an exercise in patience than it was difficult. I probably went in a bit deeper than necessary just for this job, but I was doing other work at the same time. You might be able to take some shortcuts as compared to this.

This is a 94 US LC FZJ80.

Take off the main dash trim piece by removing ash tray, all visible screws, and then gently pry off with your hands and a trim remover. Remove all connectors.
Next, remove the upper trim piece the same way. These pictures show what you'll be looking at once you've done these steps.

center-dash.jpg

dash-left.jpg

Remove the instrument cluster. This is the back of the cluster, with the gear indicator already removed.

instrument-cluster.jpg

Here's the gear indicator, removed by squeezing its three locking tabs. To the right is a side shot showing the "D" light removed.

gear-indicator.jpg
gear-indicator2.jpg

Part number for the replacement bulb was 90072-02005. Half the dealerships in town had them in stock.

Last edited:
Nice write up :beer:

Wow. Good write-up, but I'm going to let mine go until I decide to replace the HU. That dash is a pain to remove. My ECT and CDL lights are also out.

IIRC, when I replaced my "D" light I didn't have to remove the plastic bezel around teh radio. Just the bottom panel near your feet, the one above the steering column, and the black plastic piece where the driver vents are.

I think I had everything apart and re-assembled in about an hour, including a trip to the dealer. It's really not that difficult of a job for those of you putting it off. But now i notice that the light on the left side of my speedo is out which means I'll have to do that same song n' dance again.

I just noticed that mine was out last week. So do you really need to remove the entire lower dash or is it done by removing the clear front panel of the dash?

IIRC, when I replaced my "D" light I didn't have to remove the plastic bezel around teh radio. Just the bottom panel near your feet, the one above the steering column, and the black plastic piece where the driver vents are.

I think I had everything apart and re-assembled in about an hour, including a trip to the dealer. It's really not that difficult of a job for those of you putting it off. But now i notice that the light on the left side of my speedo is out which means I'll have to do that same song n' dance again.

I'm guessing your LC is newer than mine. On the 94, the bezel around the radio is the same piece as the bezel around the cluster.

One reason I went in was to replace that piece of plastic, as the aftermarket wood trim I added blocked the unused button locations I needed to use for offroad lighting control.

I just noticed that mine was out last week. So do you really need to remove the entire lower dash or is it done by removing the clear front panel of the dash?

You need to get behind the instrument cluster, so I think you'll need to remove the entire lower dash. I could be wrong, as changing out the lower dash was my primary mission, and changing the "D" light was a added bonus.

on a 95+ youll need to remove the knee panel, the panel that sits on either side of the steering wheel and the black part around the cluster then remove the cluster,

you can find directions for the 95+ cluster removal in the temp gauge mod thread from the FAQ, might as well do that mod wile you are at it also.

Mine was out when I got it in December, and then magically, one day, it came on again. Not as bright as the other lights, but it's on.:)

Here is a simple cure, the one that I use; When no light shows, you are in "Drive". I have spent much of my life working on other peoples' cars. I will not spend four hours more of my life replacing one insignificant light bulb in mine. Screw it!! My truck is capable of driving to hell and back without that light bulb! It will be OK!

Mine was out when I got it in December, and then magically, one day, it came on again. Not as bright as the other lights, but it's on.:)

It's not supposed to be as bright as the other lights. It's set back farther to make it dimmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom