1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cypress lumber...Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Ga, Fla?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Degnol, May 28, 2009.

1. Degnol

Degnol

Anyone have a source on Cypress lumber? Specifically 1x10 or 1x12, rough-sawn, green, s4s? Gearing up to build some boats and have a trucking company who will ship it free. Looking for select/clear as possible and in 16' lengths. Found a few sources online, but thought I'd ask the tree-hugging mud crowd before pulling the trigger.

Ed

2. Tofudebeest

Tofudebeest

Watch your source. Lots of illegal, unsustainable harvesting, especially from LA and MS.

3. fsusteve

fsusteve

they sell it in HD and Lowes here, I have a **** load on my property, c'mon down and bring a chainsaw.

4. Degnol

Degnol

Thanks, but the tractor-trailer bringing it back is a hybrid, so I guess it all washes out....:rolleyes: Seems like that is a problem for those states and their DNR's. Now go change your shorts(made in a 3rd world country by slave children, with HIV and TB) and feel good about soybean curd;)

Don't know much about cypress(the tree, not the country). I have two "bald Cypress" trees on my property. Are they the same? Same as the lumber variety? I've heard "white Cypress" but have no clue:confused:

5. fsusteve

fsusteve

there's long needle and short needle, that's all I know, all mine are short needle bald cypress. A friend of mine cut down a dead cypress tree on his property, took it to a mill and then dried it in his attic for a year and then made some chairs from it, turned out pretty sweet.

6. Degnol

Degnol

Mine are both short needle. I can have green stuff kiln dried. Every year locals drop by to express their condolences over the "loss" of the beautiful old trees when they drop their needles or fronds...... I tell them they are not dead.

7. battle

battle

There is a small family owned sawmill in Helena, AR, that deals cypress lumber. The owners last name is Carnathan. PM or email if you want me to get more info.

8. lingo

lingo

Degnol, a buddy of my dad's has his own mill. I will check with him tomorrow to see if he has any cypress to cut and I will let you know.

9. tcb

tcb

I was going to say something similar!! :doh:

I've got a 50 footer right outside my bedroom that I'd love to see gone. That effer fills the back yard with those damn needles and the knees eff up my mower when they sneak up on me..

Death to Cypress!

10. fsusteve

fsusteve

My neighbor has the biggest one I've ever seen, looks like a giant redwood. I think you could build a house out of it.....which would be cool.

11. cajun65

cajun65

I could look around. I think there's a place right down the road. I'll try to get a number for you.

12. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

13. mminter1973

mminter1973

These guys will cut whatever you want, I am about to get some 1x12 v joint tongue and grove in the next few weeks from them.

Cypress Log Homes

14. sundaypunch

sundaypunch

You can get some high-quality stuff here. It's not inexpensive.

Big River Cypress

15. Degnol

Degnol

If you come up with anything, PM me.
    Thanks!