Custom suspension setup, Advice PLEASE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my old girl needs some suspension TLC.

The rubber bushings are shot all the way around,
20150725_174807.jpg

and spring mounts have been modified by the PO. I am not overly impressed with the weld on riser setup that is going on and would love to get this done right!

20150725_174826.jpg

20150725_174926.jpg

I figured I would start with replacing the bushings and see if I had noticeable improvements in handling. When driving the truck follows every bump and I find myself constantly steering, even on straight stretches.

Dug into the first spring shackle/hanger and after removing the pin, there is no way I would reinstall it!
20150725_174913.jpg

So...... thinking of taking advantage of this moment to correct some previous abuse..... cutting/grinding off the PO's spring mounts and properly welding in new.

New suspension kit - springs/shocks/bushings/steering dampener/U-bolts/extended nonreversing shackles with greasable bolts.

Possibly TRE's and draglink while Im at it.

Questions;
Am I missing anything?

When I removed the pin, the spring does not want to naturally line up with the shackle mounts. As if the mounts were welded to the wrong position? Or is this because I only have the one corner of the truck lifted and the front axle housing is torquing it?
20150725_174851.jpg

I need some lift on this rig as I am running 33x12.5's... Not planning on much bigger. If spring mounts are welded more like original, what would I need for suspension/shackles?

Also no sway bar on this rig... should there be?

Best deals on good suspension parts can be found where??

Thanks in advance!

Craig

The bushings are obviously shot. But squirrely steering can also be caused by incorrect alignment ( toe - in) and worn steering knuckle trunnion bearings too.

Those blocks he welded on might have messed with the front diff angle, do you have shims installed for the caster? Bad caster = steering is all over the place.. But honestly I would remove those blocks and get a proper lift.

I wouldn't even try to mess with that frame. Trail truck!

If you remove all the PO stuff, go back to factory mount. Get a suspension kit, whether it be OME, HFS or whoever and
you should be able to run the same tires without any issues as far as lift.
Personally, I'd go OME with anti-inversion greaseable shackles, cause I did. I did install about a 4 deg castor shim up front
as well.
Sounds to me like you have all your basics covered. BTW, what part of BC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom