1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Dash Knobs for Sale!

Discussion in 'Merchandise Storefront' started by amaurer, Dec 30, 2008.

1. amaurer

amaurer SILVER Star

4/09/12 UPDATE: My knob shops are now closed. Thanks for all the business, and fun, over the years!

3/29/11 UPDATE!! Thanks mudders for keeping me busy over the last two years. I now have a fancy new website at Knoobs.com, Custom Switches and Knobs since I've started to get business from outside the cruiser world. I'm also now an official 'Mud Vendor, so check out my new site and my post in the Vendor Marketplace for a special 'Mud discount:
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-com-...tomized-oem-repro-knobs-buttons-shifters.html

I can also make MUCH more than knobs now. Virtually any small plastic part from your cruisers I can copy and engrave for you - shifters, 60/70/80/100 series button faces, anything!

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started a project in the Diesel section that has turned out so well that I'll bet some of you others might have a use for this.

I'm selling custom dash knobs - reproduced from molds of the factory knobs and CNC machined with absolutely anything you want on the faces! Here are two examples, one for a momentary glow switch for my BJ42, and one for a locker switch (someday ::starry eyes::):

4/2009 UPDATE: Knobs are now made from solid colored plastic instead of painted plastic! Your choice of standard black or ANY COLOR YOU LIKE! Also, two-toned knobs are possible for a small extra charge, just ask. See pictures below.

5/2009 UPDATE: Transfer case and transmissions knobs now available. See my new website for pictures and ordering info: www.cruiseruser.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are 79+ style knobs, and you can see they match perfectly:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I currently have molds for 79+ style switches, plus mid-year Wipe/Wash know, and late 60's FD knobs at the moment, but will mold switches in any shape if you provide a master (which would be returned unharmed).

Knobs come two ways:

• Tapped with your choice of threads and with a set screw for use with factory switches
    • Including a new electrical switch in your choice of momentary or push-on-push-off (1/2" barrel, with panel mount washer/nut) as shown below:

[​IMG]

Knobs are formed from polyester resin and CNC machined with your choice of graphic. You can send me a black and white image in any format (where one color denotes raised areas, and the other denotes recessed areas) or you can simply describe what you'd like (including just text) and I'll handle it for you.

[​IMG]

Price is $30 per knob regardless of tapping/electrical options or graphics.

Post up here or PM me - I accept paypal or checks.

EDIT: Added pics of hazard style.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy SILVER Star

I want a copy of the hazard switch knob, same as yours, that says

diff
    lock

Without the gears graphic. PM your email addy for paypal.

Thanks! :beer:
  3. Isotel

Isotel Moderator

Very Cool, and a Killer Price! Good work!
  4. Cruiser Clint

Cruiser Clint

5. okie

okie

wow, they look great!
  6. mmw68

mmw68 Supporting Vendor

Did I miss it?? How do you get color or white into the design. If I want to send you a logo, what type of file would you like?
    Thanks - Mark
  7. amaurer

amaurer SILVER Star

The white is just white paint - I paint the face before I polish the knob and then I just polish any extra off.

Send me any type of file you like.
  8. I followed your "build" thread for this in the diesel section. Excellent work. I'm going to map out my dash switches and then place an order.
    John
  9. amaurer

amaurer SILVER Star

Some of the first...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  10. amaurer

amaurer SILVER Star

Showing off the hazard-style knobs: The hazards knobs shown are formed with a brass threaded insert in the base and a locking set screw, just like OEM.

Attached Files:

11. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck GOLD Star

Still no mold for the older 64ish year model ?

12. amaurer

amaurer SILVER Star

No. :frown:

Can you help us out with that? All I need is one example... :D
  13. RufusTheDufus

RufusTheDufus SILVER Star

Thanks for the parts. Just opened them today. Very nice work. Hopefully I can get them installed soon.
  14. Living in the Past

Living in the Past SILVER Star

They are two different switch knobs on the early years. The head light switch and wiper switch. The choke and throttle cables use the same knob on the end just different text. I would be interested in a wiper switch that read FOG instead.

So knobs that you use to make molds are they returned after you make the mold? I should have some early ones laying around somewhere.
  15. amaurer

amaurer SILVER Star

Yep, the originals would be returned, the molding process doesn't cause any damage. (In fact it works great for getting crud out of the nooks and crannies...)
  16. amaurer

amaurer SILVER Star

bump for new improved manufacturing process! no more fussy paint, all knobs now use solid colored resin!

Knobs now available in any color. Two-tone knobs (e.g. colored faces or such) also available.
  17. orangefj45

orangefj45 GOLD Star

very cool idea, nicely done!!! :clap:
  18. webelk6

webelk6

interested in the center "eject" knob black with red.
    Do you think it will fit in the lower left hand spot on my dash? Or the upper right where the po drilled a hole for an auxillary fan.

Attached Files:

19. amaurer

amaurer SILVER Star

PM'd ya.
  20. Tofudebeest

Tofudebeest

Bud,

I think you've already got the knob we've been talking about in your collection (for the crowd, the THROTTLE/CHOKE knob on the 60/62). I finally got it off, but you DON'T want to hear how. Suffice it to say that I no longer have a throttle knob, which is OK because I have never and would never have used it. I now have to figure out what sexy mod to put in the hole where this used to be...

Looks quite like, and may be the same design as the windshield washer knob (5th picture in post #1), and/or the one in your hand (2nd pic in post #10). It is a two-piece knob (rubber body, slightly elevated plastic inset cap).

Here's mine, and along side the emergency brake adjust knob, which has been my Kill rod knob (and the rod is threaded to take it. The throttle knob is threaded the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009