Cummins B3.3 FJ45 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just read this entire thread start to finish and DAMNN am i interested in a 45 with a 3.3t

i was really leaning towards an Isuzu Diesel swap, but i like the idea of using a brand new engine versus rebuilding one out of an old delivery truck.

any word on upgrading the turbo and adding an intercooler to safely get a little more performance out of the Cummins?

The B3.3 is set conservative from Cummins so there is room to play---mainly depends on your pocket book. You can up the boost on the stock turbo if you like or go bigger. Guys have put in larger injectors and so on. Just need to know the limits otherwise you get a very expensive bang at the end.

Thanks Eco.

any video of your rig running?

i'd love to see a vid of it idling and possibly one of you doing a highway pull

Thanks Eco.

any video of your rig running?

i'd love to see a vid of it idling and possibly one of you doing a highway pull

Hopefully in a week or two I will have a video of the B3.3 up on my website along with at least one other diesel engine. I just have to put on my other hat as a web designer and make the updates to my current web page. I have been updating things very very slowly in the evenings.

Video of B3.3

Videos up and running of a B3.3 idling and one going up an incline at the bottom of my diesel conversion page---see link below. Couldn't figure out how to place them is this forum directly.

Eco-OffRoad, LLC: Diesel Engine Conversions

i have a 76 hj-45 with an H; just not enough speed on the blacktop at 11000'!! cant get much past 30 mph. Its no big deal on the trails 'cauze we don't go more than 10-15 mph but getting to the trailheads are slow and smokey.

what is a ROUGH price for this conversion? (say plus or minus a few thousand) and possibly a time estimate.

Thanks!

Eddie

i have a 76 hj-45 with an H; just not enough speed on the blacktop at 11000'!! cant get much past 30 mph. Its no big deal on the trails 'cauze we don't go more than 10-15 mph but getting to the trailheads are slow and smokey.

what is a ROUGH price for this conversion? (say plus or minus a few thousand) and possibly a time estimate.

Thanks!

Eddie
How's my old HJ45 treating you?

John, I have a 1977 FJ40--great truck, extensively rebuilt and mostly stock with original 2F and 4-speed transmission. I have always loved diesels and have a VW pickup with a 1.9 TD in it. Probably sell that one to finance a diesel for my FJ40. I don't do rock crawling and have 3.7 differentials front and rear ready to install. I am very impressed with the Cummins B3.3. Just seems to be right for me. I would want the H55F five speed. Can you give me a ball park quote? Again, be happy to send photos of the FJ40--it is very nice. Might also try to sell the 2F, transmission and transfer case to put against the cost of the B3.3. I live in Utah and have a married daughter and family in Fort Collins so come to Colorado frequently. A PM would be best as I am not so good with receiving messages here. (donholsinger@gmail.com). Many thanks, Don

look me up when you sell that drive train.. I'm in Orem, sounds like we are the similar age.

text me.. Got 2 Fj40s rolling right now and helping a buddy with a 72'

Ive been following the 3.3 threads on 4bt swaps for some time. I would like to go diesel 6.2/turbo though.

I can help you on a H55f gas or diesel too.

ken

801 420 0835

Update on the Cummins 3.3?

Does anyone have an update on the 3.3 cummins swap? I am interested in the details of this swap. I have read about stacking adapters for the H55 but wonder if in the past few years if someone isn't making a direct adapter. I also would like to know what kind of real world fuel mileage someone with the setup is getting? Thanks guys and gals for the help.
Brock

i have a 79 fj40 B3.3 4.10 33x10.50 and 5spd toyota trans I got 21mpg and half that was pulling a small ben hur trailer loaded with firewood 100 miles and back 100 empty....rest around town. I don't think 25 unreasonable but don't think 30+ is real world.

i have a friend that put one in a jeep...he is averaging right around 30mpg. hes had it in there for years. mpg has alot to do with what vehicle its in and driving style. i'm putting one in a 79 series i'm building and don't think that i will get 30.

Now it's on the East Coast- A/C question

I'm the newest owner of this FJ-45. It now resides in Western North Carolina. I wanted to restart posting as I'm excited to join the ranks of FJ-45 owners. It arrived last week from California, and I'm in the process of getting a few odds and ends fixed. My first impression is that it quite the rig.
One question, I will be installing Vintage A/C over the winter, and need to locate a suitable compressor mounting bracket. Can anybody advise me on this?
John

you are going to have to have one custom made for the cummins. Plus you will have to get a double groove crank pulley if you don't already have one. I'm all the way on the other side of the state from you but its cool this truck founds its way to NC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom