Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What year starter did you order?
I was having start issues as well, turned out not to be the starter at all. A friend of mine rigged a push start button that fixed it.

What year starter did you order?
I was having start issues as well, turned out not to be the starter at all. A friend of mine rigged a push start button that fixed it.
Yeah I remember that in your thread. You added a relay as well, right?

Does anyone know if there is a difference in 2nd Gen started as far as there position in reference to the block? Or let me clarify on that, is there one that fits this engine in this applications better than another? I have a 97 starter for reference and it seems to stick quite a bit out the side of the motor.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in 2nd Gen started as far as there position in reference to the block? Or let me clarify on that, is there one that fits this engine in this applications better than another? I have a 97 starter for reference and it seems to stick quite a bit out the side of the motor.
Don't know. I believe most accessories stayed the same all the way through the years of the 12v and 24v.

Vacume pump fitting you asked about.

Does yours have a banjo bolt?
Yes but it had a small reducer hose on it like in this picture (stolen from the internet). I still haven't been able to find this replacement piece or a connector with the correct reducer for the smaller nipple on the booster. Right now I have three connectors on the hose going to the booster. Works but not ideal. Too many hose clamps for my liking. Please let me know what you figure out.

I also have a check valve like this one. I believe it came on the newer vacuum pumps. When I bought my engine it showed up without a pump so the place had to send one out so I got an updated one. Somewhere on the net I read there was a recall or something on those lines for the check valve to replace just the nipple.
vpump_b_card.jpg

Here's the photo of my reducer that is no longer in service.
IMG_2755.jpg

Yeah mine appears to have the check valve in that case. Not sure if I really need it. I'm hoping I can just keep this one as is and use a reducer somewhere.

for clearance i had to use an adapter metric to AN and 90* AN fitting to 3/8" pushlock. i believe the booster itself has a check. i made a check to splice in and didn't need it. every once in a while at start up if the RPM is low i don't feel like i have enough vacuum but only a few seconds. just waiting for good oil flow to pump to seal i believe

Bellhousings between then getrag and nv4500 are different and the bolt patterns for the starters while very similar are I think mirrored. Either way 1st and 2nd gen starters will not interchange -- different bolt pattern.

New starter in and it fired up better than it ever did before. Didn't even have to give the skinny pedal its usual tap. Back in business!

Now that my starting issue is fix I'm on to other things that need to be done before I leave next Friday.

-Remove Slee light harness for good. At the moment the wiring is there just not used.
-Rewire lights on bumper that were tied into Slee harness.
-Replace the four lights on the roof rack with a 40' LED bar.
-Go through all bolts on suspension and steering.
-Figure out why my air compressor isn't kicking on. I think it's a bad pressure switch. I blame the ocean.
-And if I have time and find the space finally install my two trumpet train horn that runs off the air tank.

for clearance i had to use an adapter metric to AN and 90* AN fitting to 3/8" pushlock. i believe the booster itself has a check. i made a check to splice in and didn't need it. every once in a while at start up if the RPM is low i don't feel like i have enough vacuum but only a few seconds. just waiting for good oil flow to pump to seal i believe

That's the junk I used, ran it to the master and hose clamped it up there with fancy push lock hose. That's a Toyota banjo bolt left over threaded into the vac pump.

That's the junk I used, ran it to the master and hose clamped it up there with fancy push lock hose. That's a Toyota banjo bolt left over threaded into the vac pump.
One size hose all the way with no step down fittings?

That's perfect and what I was hoping to do with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom