Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to installing the Matrix/Vibe inverter and switches. I know it's not a high power inverter but I mainly need it for my iPad since the stupid USB outlets won't keep it charged while using it as my navigation. Plus it looks factory. Didn't get a photo the inverter but it's mounted under the passenger seat. No rear heater so plenty of room. Ran it through a relay into my rear fuse panel.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430013697.630061.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430013711.812746.jpg

What switches did you use for the OBA and inverter? Looks neat.
I use defrost switches with custom labels. The inverter is an actual switch but I am going to switch it out for a defrost when I redo the label for red LED use. I don't want to mess that switch up.

Did you use Joey's labels? I have been meaning to use that for a few switches.
Yes. I went to kinkos and had them print them on clear plastic sheets. I use white packing tape under them, along with double sided clear tape,so I have white lettering and the red LED will shine through.

I guess it's time to run the roof lights and solar wiring through the roof. I got my waterproof washer gland joint things in today. I ordered three different sizes because I didn't know which ones I would need and they were cheap. Something like $6 for a bag of 10. I got PG7, PG9, and PG11s.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430790339.486926.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430790350.822426.jpg

My roof lights have been poser lights for over a year and my solar cables have been running through the rear sliding glass. At this point I might ditch the four Hellas for an LED light bar if I can find a decent cheap one on Amazon.

I run my wires off my rack behind my snorkel under the hood. No drilling involved. Hides them pretty well.

I run my wires off my rack behind my snorkel under the hood. No drilling involved. Hides them pretty well.
Solar wires are way to thick to do that. Plus it would cost me over $100 in wire to make that run.

I got the wires run through the roof. Wasn't bad at all expect for it was raining so the garage was hot and muggy. I scooted the roof rack forward, ground down the quick steel that I had filling the holes, enlarged with a step bit, painted, and installed waterproof grip things. Easy breezy.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431117814.899968.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431117829.414725.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431117845.549232.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431117860.497390.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431117871.401621.jpg

I'm not worried about the paint. It's not a show truck and the roof will eventually get painted with something when I remove the roof runners and weld up the holes. I also removed the crappy plastic gutter trim.

Now that I ran the wiring through the roof I didn't need my solar controller hanging from my attic rack. I also ran out of wire to move it back up that high after running the wires down the rear pillar. Not much better placement but my mind drew a blank when thinking of a more permanent solution. The fridge doesn't move so it could live there but doesn't have the clean look I like. I also now have to open the rear hatch to check the display. Suggestions welcome.
IMG_2362.jpg

I had a nice weekend down at Padre Island National Seashore with @The Phoenician and @meatloaf. We followed a hell of storm from Austin all the way down to mile marker 60 where the beach ends on the south point of the island. I found my slight sunroof leak turned into a dripping problem. With no AC it got pretty foggy and humid inside. I had a nice size puddle in the passenger seat. The sheet metal was bend where the wind deflector was and it caused the water to bypass the drain and come right into the headliner. A couple whacks with a socket extension and hammer hopefully fixed the problem. I'll have to wait for the next storm.
IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

It wasn't long after we got to camp that the storm passed and cleared up nicely the rest of the weekend. Saturday was all sun so we just relaxed, fished and drank beer.
IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

Sunday morning we packed up and headed out. We got one last poser shot in before the day got interesting.
IMG_2411.jpg

Last edited:
I started overheating at mile marker 50. When I pulled over to pop the hood the AC pulley was smoking. The clutch somehow got stuck on and broke. We attempted to pull the clutch part out but when I started it back up the pulley flew off.
IMG_2414.jpg

We tried a few other belts Mike had to bypass the AC but one was too short and the other too long. At this point the only option was to get pulled off the beach. So 50 miles we went.
IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

At mile marker 15 we got pulled over by the Park Ranger. Not to give us hand or ask if we needed him to call someone for us. He only wanted to give Mike a hard time for having his bumper lights one which is somehow a no no on the beach. Once we got to the park visitor center we went into town and picked up a new compressor which was the wrong one. We managed to keep it on with two bolts and got 3/4 of the belt one hoping when I started it up it would go on. Nope it ripped 1/4 of it off. No worries I had enough to go the 10 miles back to Orielly's plus I had a spare belt with me. Once we got there I got the proper compressor and a spare belt and was good to go. Once we ate and washed the vehicles it was late afternoon before we headed back to Austin. All in all it was a fun trip and now I need find a shorter belt to carry so I can bypass the AC if this happens again.

The pieces I kept for souvenirs.
IMG_2425.jpg

Now to get the beach out of my truck.
IMG_2421.jpg

Added belt routing sticker under the hood for the times when I take it off and fail to remember how it goes back on. It always seems so simple until you get frustrated.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433091876.352846.jpg

Planning some PM stuff for the weekend. I picked up a pre-fuel filter repair kit from Cummins. It was only $9. I figure it will be good to have on hand if I open it up and find cleaning it is not an option. Who knows if it was ever cleaned or replaced before me.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433369995.949256.jpg

I also want to replace my exhaust manifold bolts. They got rust on them and it's bothering me. I wanted to get stainless bolts but @GLTHFJ60 talked me out of going that route. So now I am going to see if Cummins has replacements tomorrow.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433370246.305810.jpg

It's amazing what the beach does to bare metal.

New bolts for exhaust manifold. Cummins likes their bolts at a little over $3 each. Can't imagine what Dodge dealer charges. I have a hook up there but even with discount it's cheaper to go Cummins and pay retail.
(12) M10-1.50x65
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433429219.280690.jpg

If you don't like the look of a rusty manifold and bolts and you like to play in salt water, you should look into a ceramic coating (bolt heads only of course). Better thermal performance for the turbo as a bonus.

If you don't like the look of a rusty manifold and bolts and you like to play in salt water, you should look into a ceramic coating (bolt heads only of course). Better thermal performance for the turbo as a bonus.
I don't like salt water at all but the beach trip was fun. Once a year is probably enough for me though. Cleaning the beach out is a too much of a chore.

On my hilux that I used on the beach weekly, I built a stainless water tank under the truck and dual hoses supplied by a 12v pump. The hoses popped out the bottom of the b pillar between the doors (on the outside) and then were clipped up at head height. When the doors were closed you couldn't see them. I used this primarily to wash off sandy feet before jumping in the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom