Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The grease trick works well as long as you have something solid (will the old intermediate shaft work?) that fits tightly in the hole in the bearing to act as your piston. Pack as much grease as you can in there, place your "piston" in the center on the grease, and smack it good. The tighter the piston fits in the bearing (without interference of course) the better it will work.
See that would have been the smart thing to do. I already pressed the other shaft into place. I was trying with a bolt and washer with nuts on each side of the washer. It didn't have a good seal at all.

Just tried wet and dry paper towels. Negative on those methods.

Combo of wet and dry paper towels no go. Same for bread and paper towel combo. Out of options for tonight.

Plan for today is to find a proper tool or at least a cheap one from HF.

Success! Used HF blind hole bearing puller set. It ran me around $50 with a 20% off coupon.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427471542.819346.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427471560.900996.jpg

Today is going way better than yesterday. High and low gears, bearings now pressed onto output shaft.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427476455.518183.jpg

More rib grinding to fit the other low gear. I should be on the home stretch now. About to mount front case back on. So far no stags today. One thing in my mind is whether or not I need shims for the rear output bearing. There wasn't one in when I tore it down. It will be another stopping point if I do since I don't have any on hand.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427483056.401026.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427483077.123702.jpg

More progress. Front case installed. Idler gears hanging. 4WD clutch installed.
It's such a nice day here it's hard to stay in the garage and the dogs know it as well. I keep taking breaks to play with the dogs.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427490709.060949.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427490817.796833.jpg

The old man taking a nap in the sun.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427490861.988021.jpg

And this one just wants to play.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427490923.808069.jpg

All gears installed and final test of the rear case. Gears are all moving with no contact so that's always good. Now I'll remove and install gasket. Plan is a little to use a little FIPG on each side of the paper gasket.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427496640.403785.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427496651.653658.jpg

Last edited:
Great work Cimarron.

:clap:
Thanks. Not there yet but I'm hoping to have it ready to test preload this evening. Goal is driving on Monday depending on if I need shims.

Well it all went south real quick. Funny now but I was screaming at myself a while ago.
So as I sealed up the case and was about to call it day I went to the table and saw the fxxxing 4WD lever thingy that doesn't go on the outside of the case but in it. This is the same part I had problems with when my shifter came loose from it months back. Luckily then I used a magnet to retrieve it back into position. So off came the rear case. Put it in and then resealed. Then I realized that it got knocked out of position and was backwards after I sealed the case for the second time. Off comes the rear again. Put on correctly and seal it up for the third and hopefully last time. Fantastic!

That sucks, but at least you learned something.
I don't think I ever learn anything from my mistakes. I actually think I just deal with it better. One thing I learned was the mosquitos are back. That was the most frustrating thing when it got dark. I was hurrying to get the case back together the last time and they were eating me alive. Going to have to dig out the bug spray.

Sounds like a bat house installation over your garage is in order. Those little guys eat their own weight in mosquitos every night apparently.

I'm think I'm ready to check preload. I need to go find a doohickey to do that with and some 90W oil.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427574103.091907.jpg

Notice the way Mark's idler shaft is bolted to the rear case. Don't know if it's better or worse. Just different I guess.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427574191.346918.jpg

I'm never 100% certain my sealing of things holds so it could leak elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom