Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the same adapter and have no drips yet. Maybe a little seep from the front of the tranny but I didn't replace the input seal on the transmission. I really don't like the sealed generic bearing that is part of the adapter. Why not put a non-sealed bearing, a drain and a fill plug, or just leave a seal on the 5-speed side? I suppose leaving the oil level that high would make it leak more. I am running the Amzoil equivalent to the Castrol and it shifts pretty smooth but wonder if the Castrol would be better. $12 per quart vs. $25+. Maybe I will use the Castrol next time. I have already had to add some oil to the NV4500 and suspect it is dribbling into the adapter. In hindsight the Dodge drive train from engine to x-fer case would eliminate any adapters. The cost or effort of modifying the gas tank would seem about the same or less expensive.

More TC parts arrived from Valley Hybrids. Wife was nice enough to open it and take a photo for me. I will have an extra idler shaft and few bearings but I rather have more than not enough. The part shelf will grow a bit but that's never a bad thing for me. Goal is to have it ready for a PINS (Padre Island Nations Seashore) trip mid April which shouldn't be an issue even with inevitable parts order for something I missed or destroy during assembly.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1426769626.068722.jpg

George is great to deal with. I recommend getting some type of puller for the needle bearing in the rear output shaft that the front out put shaft goes into.. I've done it without but it usually takes a while. I'm not sure but the puller may work for pilot bearings as well.. Also the bolt that holds the keeper for the idler shaft is pretty critical, don't over/under torque.

George is great to deal with. I recommend getting some type of puller for the needle bearing in the rear output shaft that the front out put shaft goes into.. I've done it without but it usually takes a while. I'm not sure but the puller may work for pilot bearings as well.. Also the bolt that holds the keeper for the idler shaft is pretty critical, don't over/under torque.
I bought a generic puller from O'Reillys that worked well when pulling the input gears off. I also have my shop press if needed as well. I usually make do if it's a one time thing or buy something from HF that if it breaks it's no big deal.

Blackstone analysis came in. Much better than the last one.
image.jpg

I started removing old seals, gaskets, and races from the transfer case and started cleaning. I hate cleaning. This is as far as I got. Started on the rear case but got tired of scrubbing so I just put it in a 5 gallon bucket of simple green for tonight.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427072955.013368.jpg

Front case is going to be a chore.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427073130.875376.jpg

I also opened up the gears from Mark's 4wd. Pretty.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427073171.043704.jpg

They use a custom idler shaft so the one I got for the rebuild will be unused.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427073252.617753.jpg

Plan is to clean all weak and add the new seals. Hopefully have it back together after the weekend.

Need to find someplace with the ol heated dishwasher parts washer.
I'm cheap so it will likely go to work with me to get hit with the power washer. I also have a really cheap upholstery steamer I may try.

All parts to possibly be reused are clean or shall I say clean enough. I made good use of my HF press to get the gears off the output shaft.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427155571.365251.jpg

I used this cheap ass steamer we had in the house which worked quit well to loosen up the crud. Still went through 5 cans of brake cleaner and a lot of Simple Green.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427155681.754904.jpg

I'll be waiting till Friday to start reassembly.

I noticed the breather valve is missing its top. Thinking of pulling it out and taping in a barb to run a hose to it.

Got a little done today after flying back from LA. Took the grinder to a few ribs so the gears would fit. Also installed a few seals, bearings and pressed in the front output shaft.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427323689.713264.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427323725.214420.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427323745.878771.jpg

Then I hit a bit of a snag. When I was about to install the seal on the TC that the trans shaft goes through it looked a bit wide. When comparing to the seal I removed they were identical.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427323861.874697.jpg

I don't know if this is a normal thing on the 60 or not? Just doesn't seem right. It was a good time to call it a day and find some answers. So now I'll wait for smarter people to give me advise.

So now I'll wait for smarter people to give me advise.

Here's the best advice I can think of;

Don't marry a man unless you would be proud to have a son exactly like him :D

So I found my first mistake while researching other people TC rebuild threads. I forgot to put the the oil slinger in before I put the front output seal on. Not surprising.

Now that I'm away from the garage and can't stop thinking of things I may have missed. I'm thinking the input seal is bigger due to the input gear lip that would slide in. I'll have to confrim when I get home later today. I don't know why I wouldn't think of that yesterday but maybe I'm wrong. I always tell our boys to take a break when frustration sets in to clear your head. Maybe it does work?

Cussing and throwing things also works. But yea taking a break and walking away usually gives you the answer you need

Cussing and throwing things also works. But yea taking a break and walking away usually gives you the answer you need
Yes it does. I'm the king of that. Especially with golf clubs.

Well today was a bust. Spent about 2 hours now trying to get the damn pilot bearing or whatever you call it out of the output shaft. I tried some bread and grease tricks with no prevail. Maybe the bread trick is some sort of joke like telling a new bartender to find the squeegee sharpener or mop comb. Wife is sick so I can't leave the house to go get a proper tool for the job. I have managed to break all the needle bearings out leaving just the sleeve stuck.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427412418.890855.jpg

Only thing positive was the input seal is correct. I'm just an idiot and didn't think that the gear goes into it. Fits like a glove.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427412349.215978.jpg

So that's my afternoon.

The grease trick works well as long as you have something solid (will the old intermediate shaft work?) that fits tightly in the hole in the bearing to act as your piston. Pack as much grease as you can in there, place your "piston" in the center on the grease, and smack it good. The tighter the piston fits in the bearing (without interference of course) the better it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom