Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I put a #10 plate on I am going to first have to change out the turbo to let it breath through all that fuel. I am already planning on replacing the input shaft on the NV4500 with a southbend 1 3/8 shaft. Haven't decided on the clutch yet, but it will be a southbound. My only concern with creating too much power is the torque...I don't want to start snapping axles.
Check out the HE351cw turbo. That's what I am going to use on my CTD swap. Small hot housing for quick spool up but a big enough compressor for 500hp...

Check out the HE351cw turbo. That's what I am going to use on my CTD swap. Small hot housing for quick spool up but a big enough compressor for 500hp...

That kind of power will definitely require beefier axles...I will check it out.

Last edited:
Well you don't have to push it to that but it's capable of it and it's a stock dodge take off

Those came on the 3rd Gen Rams right? I just read up on them a little and you're right, they can breath al the way through to about 500 with the right injectors and pump setup. Something to think about.

Right now I am trying to talk myself out of a full teardown and rebuild...but I have a feeling that is the route I will end up taking.

Why do it twice? Build
It and be done with it.. that's my motto... Yes they came on the 6spd HO motors.

Why do it twice? Build
It and be done with it.. that's my motto... Yes they came on the 6spd HO motors.

I operate the same way unfortunately...If I tear it down, I am going to be tempted to go crazy with parts.

There really isn't much to go crazy with. You already have 191 dv's, throw some non intercooled pistons, 90hp injectors, bump the timing to 17*, add a good turbo, fuel plate,4k gsk and call her a day. That's my recipe :)

Earlier today I ordered up the 4k governor spring, 60lbs valve springs, KDP kit (my time is worth more than it takes to fab my own) and a full engine gasket set...the next step would be pistons.

Why the non intercooled pistons? I have heard good things about Mahle Clevite pistons...they make the OEM Cummins pistons too.

Non intercooled pistons have a larger bowl which allows you more options on injectors (marine 370) without increasing smoke and egts and run more timing versus the stock p-pump pistons

Here are some stats comparing pre and post conversion.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424224723.149391.jpg

It's a spreadsheet I made in Numbers. I am OCD when it comes to keeping track of things.

Added a 100w solar panel to the roof. Not the best install as I am scrambling trying to get packed and finish some last minute things before Big Bend. Right now I have to connect it to the controller through the rear window which is good enough to test things in the desert. At 5pm when I plugged it in I was getting 2.5 amps. I still have some walking room to reach storage on the front of the roof rack.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424305165.215676.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424305182.845155.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424305195.616851.jpg

Last edited:
Weekend in Big Bend National Park camping and wheeling was a great success. I had a blast hanging out with everyone that went. My solar, fridge, and truck all worked great. No one had to pull tools out. I averaged 18.5 on the way there and in the park. Only low point was the 15.2 I got coming back but that was with heavy winds on I10 going around 70 mostly. Lots of hills. My best MPGs are usually in the 65 mph range. I did do some testing passing semis on some up hill sections. Hit 30lbs of boost and 90mph once with EGTs in check. I am very pleased with the power upgrades.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cim, you have the exact MPGs I did. I'll post up some pictures once I sort through them. We ended up with about 600 of them.
Glad someone took photos. So did your MPGs sucks coming home as well?

What did you use for clutch pedal setup? 80 series pedal bucket or 60 series moded to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom