Cummins 4bt into my FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice site with reasonable prices.. There are a lot of truck parts that save time making these swaps work out..

Last edited:
Okay, moving right along. Got a pump gear and gear housing from a guy in Nebraska who is a great source of information and likes to chat. We had a nice chat about how to remove the cam, and talked torbos and hard to find parts.

Been looking at the cummins 4bt manual to figure out what parts I need to do this injection pump swap. Here it is:
[STRIKE]Low pressure fuel line from the lift pump to the fuel water separator canister[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Fuel filter canister + Fuel Water separator canister[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Low pressure fuel line from the fuel filter canister to the injection pump[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Lubricating oil line from the block to the pump[/STRIKE]
Return Fuel line
High pressure injector lines
Turbo boost control line
[STRIKE]Fuel pre-filter or screen[/STRIKE]
These would all be off a '94 to'98 Dodge Cummins 12V. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
FINALLY! Something has arrived. I just unloaded my engine! Didn't have time to unwrap it as I'm at work (Apartment is right behind where I work). I'm excited, though.

Made an offer on a turbo this morning - waiting to hear back.

Okay, I unwraped it over lunch. Here are a couple of pictures. I need to clean it up and paint it. What color do you suggest? I was thinking GM blue, or was that Pontiac blue? What color are they in the Dodges? I could do it Cat yellow. Think about it guys.

For some reason, I thought it came without an exhaust manifold. I was pleasantly surprised it came with one. And, it's a center dump, which I was advised to get by a guy on 4btswaps for the turbo.

All the openings were sealed off. That is encouraging. Some minor concerns, nothing to get excited about. There is a crack in the gear housing cover, and a bolt missing from it, but I already have one coming. There is some dry rot on the steering pump hose, replaceable.

Life is good.
DSCN0188.jpg
DSCN0189.jpg
DSCN0192.jpg

seems like you would want to paint it a OEM Cummins color? Tan comes to mind :)

So far I've gotten one vote a piece for red, cat yellow and tan (Original color). Anyone else? I'm still liking Pontiac blue. I don't know why...I just always equate that color with engines. Oh yeah, my first car was a '79 TA that I put a 455 in. The engine was blue...Pontiac blue.

I got my P7100 yesterday! Holy cow is it big. I mean, I knew it was going to be big, but not that big. It barely fit on the pillow next to me last night.

So, what I'm wondering is: How much horsepower gain should I expect by just changing from the Lucas/Delphi to the P7100? Should I be running a certain size injector, and what should that be? Where can I find injectors for the 4bt? I don't need the high dollar race injectors either - those I can find!

Roughly, what should I be expecting as a power gain by adding a turbocharger?

Ohhhh...I wanted to work on this over the weekend, but no, my cousin decided to come for a visit with his fiance. What could I have said, no? Seriously, could I have said no? Anyway, I have to look at all the parts and salivate for another week.

Too many variables for HP gains but you will have lots of potential! It will depend on how that Inline is set up, if it's been turned up (for inlines, plate sliding and profile). What turbo are you planning on adding? With added fueling you'll want something that can flow more air. For injectors it depends on what you are shooting for. You'll probably need a cpl from a 4bt that's set up with an inline pump to help get the right injectors (spray pattern, pop pressure) but they definitely will be different than the injectors you have in there right now. I predict you'll get some experience with tuning so take notes of what you've done and what affect it had (egts, boost, smoke, butt-o-meter).

For engine color, paint it whatever color you like. I like cummins beige so I went with that but that doesn't mean you have too.

X2 on what Boots said about finding a CPL and serial number for a 4BT with that pump on it. That will give you a good base line to work from. You will definitely need different injectors, that P7100 will probably blow the tips off of your current ones.
Look in to performance mods for the '94-'98 12 valve Dodge Cummins engines. Power mods for that engine will also work (mostly) for your engine.

Have Fun!!!

4Bt swap facts.

i did a 4Bt 3.9 swap in my FJ 62, and i can give you some honest answers. for one, the milage is not 30. with the mechanical fuel pump you will get 20 to 22 depending on tire size. and thats Highway miles. noise, yes, it's a cummins. i dyno matted my entire truck and padded the floor with damping material. with the windows up, i can more then stand it. i will admit, i like the way it sounds under load. not so different then the chevy conversion i did. that one had a lot of attitude, duel exhaust etc. and was about the same amount of cab vibrato.
yes to the lift, you'll crush the oil pan on the axel if you dont. but who doesn't like a good lift anyway. Power can be adjusted fairly easily. 1/2 long socket and a flat head screw driver will boos the power to just enough. i pull my trailer across country easy enough. but, i like power, and the 3.9 is just enough for on highway use. off road and in the mud it's a full on tank.i would say the 4BT is very reliable, however, dont move to California if you plan on converting your cruiser, and it's noisy as hell without additional padding in your floors and around the shifter.

Cullman, good to see you! Where have you been? I talked to the company that tested the pump last month and he said the pump is set up stock. He is looking into what injectors I should be running with it.

For any of you looking for a good diesel shop: South Central Diesel in Nebraska. Super nice people and very good prices. I'm also looking at Diesel Care back East - but they don't seem to be answering e-mails.

Cooper, thanks for the info. What tranny are you running? Do you have a Ranger? What are your ring and pinions? I have done a lot of gearing to get better mileage. I'm getting 15-16 around town and don't know about highway because I haven't been on the highway since re-gearing it. This with a V-8, 383 cubic inches compaired to the 237 of the 4bt. The 4bt uses less inches per revolution and will cruise at a lower RPM. If I don't get 25 on the highway, I will be dissapointed. I'm not going to be able to do anything about the noise until I restore the second body that I have. Right now I have dual exhaust with flowmaster 40s. Loud! My boss has a 1970 chevelle and mine is louder than his. Why in the **** would anyone move to California? No offense to Californians...

Cooper, I'm interested in the 1/2" long socket and flat head screw driver adjustment. Just what are we talking here?

Cullman, good to see you! Where have you been? I talked to the company that tested the pump last month and he said the pump is set up stock. He is looking into what injectors I should be running with it.

For any of you looking for a good diesel shop: South Central Diesel in Nebraska. Super nice people and very good prices. I'm also looking at Diesel Care back East - but they don't seem to be answering e-mails.

Just lurking for a while. I hope it's not inappropriate to give a small plug for the shop I work at here. There are some very knowledgeable guys here that can probably be very helpful on diesel questions. Check out City Diesel - Diesel Performance

FWIW, I just work there. I won't profit from any sales made. Mods, delete this post if it is inappropriate.

Cooper, thanks for the info. What tranny are you running? Do you have a Ranger? What are your ring and pinions? I have done a lot of gearing to get better mileage. I'm getting 15-16 around town and don't know about highway because I haven't been on the highway since re-gearing it. This with a V-8, 383 cubic inches compaired to the 237 of the 4bt. The 4bt uses less inches per revolution and will cruise at a lower RPM. If I don't get 25 on the highway, I will be dissapointed. I'm not going to be able to do anything about the noise until I restore the second body that I have. Right now I have dual exhaust with flowmaster 40s. Loud! My boss has a 1970 chevelle and mine is louder than his. Why in the **** would anyone move to California? No offense to Californians...

Cooper, I'm interested in the 1/2" long socket and flat head screw driver adjustment. Just what are we talking here?

I've never driven a 4bt but from my experience the only way your going to get 25 mpg is if you
A. drive like an old woman at about 55mph and
B. run a gear ratio that allows you to use every once of torque that motor has at its optimum cruising rpms.

In my expeirance with diesels the only way to get anywhere close to the crazy claims people make is to drive 55mph. I could never do this...A quick example. 7.3 f350 13mpg empty at 80-85mph. That is the same as a 6.0 vortec in a 2500hd. Duramax is slightly better. Loaded at 8k 6.0 vortec at 80 is 7.5-8mpg. Dmax is 10-11 7.3 is 10. If you go the opposite down to 60-65mph the gasser is around 14-15 while the diesel will creep to 17-18 dmax 15-16 powerstroke if your easy on it.

Last edited:

LOL!
I'm not going to dispute what Kurtis said. Fuel mileage has so many variables. Driving style is a huge factor in MPG in diesels. If you like to race stoplight to stoplight you're going to hate your diesel. The mileage figures he puts out in his post are quite accurate for the engines and trucks he mentions. The 6BT Dodges do slightly better, but not by a whole lot.
All that being said, I really do get ~24 MPG with my 4BT. I have checked it three times since I got it running. I checked it with my GPS in varied driving conditions. Worst was 23.1 and best was 24.7, and no, I don't drive like an old lady. Use the inherent torque of the diesel by gradually easing in to the throttle and letting the boost build, don't jam the throttle to the floor, all that will do is make noise and a lot of smoke. Think of it as building speed instead of accelerating. If you constantly hot rod it you will never see more than 20 MPG. Yes! YMMV

I wasn't trying to argue or anything at all. I was just saying like cullmmancruiser mentioned that mpg with a diesel is extremely subjective.I don't doubt you could get 25 mpg in a 5k lb vehicle with it but your really going to have to set it up for mileage is all I was trying to say.
The secret is gearing and not going to crazy for power from my experience.

I think a 4bt and 6bt are great motors. In fact as far as reliability goes there is not a newer diesel that will ever touch them. There is more energy in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom