CSC Chat (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am seriously developing a dislike of Chrysler products and the sub std wiring/components that go into their vehicles.
I am about to burn this Dakota, and after hours of interweb searches, I am not alone.

I am seriously developing a dislike of Chrysler products and the sub std wiring/components that go into their vehicles.
I am about to burn this Dakota, and after hours of interweb searches, I am not alone.
I had a grand caravan. Same problem with the electric system, among others. As an example, one day sitting on the porch at a lakeside cabin, the windshield wipers just turned on for a stroke and then shut off. I remember looking at my dad, he asked if I saw that. Yep. Dodge for you. He asked me about the vehicle, I told him it was a great design executed poorly. I am very happy I leased that vehicle and it will be the last Chrysler product I will ever own. The quality is atrocious.

As their former CEO once said, "you can build too much quality into a vehicle"

a telling fact is that our dealership will almost always wholesale Dodge/Chrysler products no matter the year or mileage. not worth the hassles that will follow...

I worked with one of the majors on a tow-in reliability issue; they wouldn't spend one penny more for a more reliable and testable connector.

The tow-ins were caused by connectors slipping apart while driving down the road: the line wasn't "snapping" them together hard enough.

But it wasn't the motor brand mentioned above... then there's the famous Lucas Electric jokes, these two are pretty good:

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

Mopar also has a nasty habit of discontinuing their components that fail, so all one is stuck with is aftermarket parts that don't communicate well with the original OEM junk.
Friend of mine who is a certified mechanic told me he set a record of 7 aftermarket PCM's, (and a load of cam and crank sensors) on a Jeep just because of an alternator fail.

I have serviced drum's on Toyotas, Nissan, Fords, Chevy's, but have never encountered a design that is as complicated as the Wife's Dodge.
Mopar drum.JPG

Such a simple concept, that got complicated beyond were it should have.

I have serviced drum's on Toyotas, Nissan, Fords, Chevy's, but have never encountered a design that is as complicated as the Wife's Dodge.
View attachment 1328297

Such a simple concept, that got complicated beyond were it should have.

And that is why I am dreading doing the rear brakes on my Dakota.

Not positive on this, but aren't those full floating drum calipers? Avoids wearing down just the one floating end like most drum brake designs are prone to do?

In practice, I doubt the extra complexity materially reduces maintenance, but no manufacturer adds to build cost unless there is a true cost benefit to the overall car. Manufacturers count things that cost fractions of a cent when designing cars. An extra spring exceeds that, so in this case there must be a financially viable reason behind the design.

The only exception to this penny rule, that the guys I spoke with admit to, is power trains. Seems the engine designers can spend without too much oversight.

One note based on personal experience, make sure you record the spring stack sequence when disassembling. On reassembly, one spring stacked under another part on a post can wreck havoc with auto adjusters and parking brakes.

And that is why I am dreading doing the rear brakes on my Dakota.

Depending on what year Dakota, they are easy compared to the 1500 design.

Not positive on this, but aren't those full floating drum calipers? Avoids wearing down just the one floating end like most drum brake designs are prone to do?

In practice, I doubt the extra complexity materially reduces maintenance, but no manufacturer adds to build cost unless there is a true cost benefit to the overall car. Manufacturers count things that cost fractions of a cent when designing cars. An extra spring exceeds that, so in this case there must be a financially viable reason behind the design.

The only exception to this penny rule, that the guys I spoke with admit to, is power trains. Seems the engine designers can spend without too much oversight.

One note based on personal experience, make sure you record the spring stack sequence when disassembling. On reassembly, one spring stacked under another part on a post can wreck havoc with auto adjusters and parking brakes.

Great point, if it's a first time install, I always R&R one side first, then one has a reference assembly to go back to.

Interesting. My Piggy is a restoration (still stock). wonder what it would go for?

Wow, long suffering Cubs win! what a game 7

I missed all the good stuff, my eyes made it to the 6th inning.:(

I have been a Cubs fan forever. I remember those hot summer days in central Illinois where I would just sit on the living room floor and listen to games. Only wish my Grandfather could have seen this. What a game!

Thanks for posting Eric, and congrats Hank!:clap:

Taking a day or two off to replace the heater core in the wife's Dodge 1500 (been putting this off for over a year)...
So far saving the dashboard is not going to happen. To be continued..
NCM_0153.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom