Cruisermatt's 80/62/60 mashup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this is the 60 section but as anyone converted their 80 steering to Y-link using a 60/62 tie rod and drag link? I'm going to convert my 62 to GM 1-ton and will have the old tie rods, and I hate the 80 steering set-up even though this rig won't see rocks.

If you are using the GM set up why ask about using 60/62 parts?

I converted my 80 to the GM Y-link. Taper is different depth on one tie rod, iirc. So make sure you don't ream that one to deep. Doing the mod gives you a lot more options in the steering and front axle, it is a great mod.

Cheers

Going to GM on my CURRENT EXISTING 62, and reuse my 60 tie rod and drag link on the 80 axle.

80 series RHD steering arms, the exact same way everyone runs crossover steering on the 80 except using 60 series ends instead of GM parts.

80 series TRE's are a direct swap to a 60 (don't know why anyone would want to do that) so I assume it works the reverse way as well.

Word on the street is that I actually turned a wrench on this project this weekend... and changed my plans for it AGAIN

That's awesome. But I drove a two 4BD powered 60's as cool as they were it's not what I want for what I want to use this future rig for.

Besides your build every 60-80 combination has used an LS motor besides Lowtideride's (3FE) and GenericLC's (1FZFE). I didn't want to do that becuase I want something different. And then I realized that even if there 25 of these things out there I'll probably never run into another one in person. So who cares if it's unique or not! :flipoff2:

So here's what I'm thinking now:

LS1 stroked to 383.
Ranger Overdrive
H42
New stock height 80 coils
29" street tires

The idea being that it will look like a bone stock 60 or 62. Until it flies by you on the freeway with no death wobble or vibrations! :D

Laaaaaaaaaame.

My suggestion would be to use a GM bellhousing and transfercase to mate with that motor.

I like it Matt, make it how you want it and run the piss out of it.

Laaaaaaaaaame.

My suggestion would be to use a GM bellhousing and transfercase to mate with that motor.

Clarify? And I don't mean the lame part! :flipoff2:

Hellcat

Clarify? And I don't mean the lame part! :flipoff2:

If you're going to go with a GM motor, put a GM bellhousing and transmission behind it at the very least. Eliminate the number of custom parts as much as possible. Besides, the ranger is only rated for 400ft/lbs of torque.

Warehouse park where I work (and the frame and axles have been stored outside since acquisition) wanted it to disappear for a few days, something about appraisals and unlicensed vehicles, so it got moved inside the shop on the lift. Friend and I wheelbarrow-ed it in, rear axle is out scavenging parts for my 62.

Need to move the 110 that's under it back outside to rot some more and maybe I can convince the boss to let it stay on the lift for a little while longer... :hmm:

image.jpeg

OK, done with this waste of time. Front axle is getting pulled then stored/sold, whatever. Frame is getting plasma'd/sawzalled and scrapped.

I could type a big paragraph and justify but the short of it is that this is too much work to be worth it, 80 suspension isn't that good, and I don't have the time for a full build from scratch like this.

Close thread please. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom