Craigslist Find: BFG KO2's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know. I want a nice highway ride. 2500-mile Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa road trip coming up in May out of central-Missouri.
:steer:

if you are looking for nice highway ride then run 30psi.

I don't see any duratrac owners bashing sidewall strength :D

I own two sets of Duratracs. Best all around tire I've ever run and I have run them all. Name it. BFG, Goodyear, Hankook, Cooper, Nitto, Procomp, Interco, MT, Buckshot, Dick Cepeck, some that I can't remember.

I loved my dtracs, I will second the motion that they are the best tire out there for someone considering an AT tire. 'weak side walls' is a common complaint and I have seen some photo's on line but I never had an issue and 3 of my friends who have them and wheel hard have never had issues. So I think a lot has to do with the person behind the wheel.

duratracs are a good hybrid tire, bridging the gap between an AT and an MT. Lugs are nobbier and farther apart yet not so far that it makes the tire loud like an MT. Loved them, they shamed my KO's.

But as I previously said, the KO2 is a huge leap forward for the BGF AT line, I am very happy with mine as I'm sure the OP will be with his.

Duratracs are an awesome tire, heck, I have them on my cruiser. But I have been riding in a vehicle that had duratracs on and a dinky stick got flung into the side of the tire and gashed it pretty good. We were a long way out and no cell service, but that is what spare tires are for.

i've taken out both a duratrac and a bfg sidewall. :)
that said, the duratracs are down to the last wearbar on fat bastard and are now completely useless, and after the luck i had with ko2s on puff the evil wagon, i will most likely put bfgs on fat bastard too.

Mounted them last night just in time for 2" of snow. Doing great this morning pulling a loaded 2700-lb utility trailer around. Had them road-force balanced and they are nice and smooth at 75mph. Couldn't be happier for $650. White letter out is growing on me. Works pretty well on a white 80.

EE4A5364-3DE2-4C87-A863-12903AEECAB7_zpsg7q3nsae.jpg

if you are looking for nice highway ride then run 30psi.

plush wallowing ride then maybe 30. i might have a little more weight but not mush and settled on 40 psi on mine. firm but not rough. seemed to not eat up as much power also. i love my KO2's so far but only 1000 miles. nice, smooth and quite for my mall crawler. all i hear now is turbo.

I like the tire, I have them on my 80 with letters out. What I don't care for is how they hold rocks in the treads. Also don't get into real mud because they fill up fast and then spin with no traction. I bought my set new from Sam's for 850. They are quiet on the pavement, which is good.

I don't ever get into any mud. Ih8mud.

There really aren't too many options out there for ATs that are better, IMO. Just about everyone that has/had them loves them. The only haters seem to stem from the older tires.

There really aren't too many options out there for ATs that are better, IMO. Just about everyone that has/had them loves them. The only haters seem to stem from the older tires.

Really? I can think of closer to 10 different at tires all better in different ways. The new compound and tread designs are far superior than the uniform pattern KO/KO2 has. The pattern never worked well to begin with the old KO, KO2 just have more ciping and softer compound. Is it better than the KO? Veryone seems to think so. Is it better compared to more advanced tread design? IMHO, no.

Here is the reason, center tread does completely different task compared to the shoulders. Center is for rolling on flat surface and shoulders are for covering and off camber bite, it also adds addition grip when tires are compressed or aired down. By having one pattern for both meaning it's is compromising for both use case and not good at either. No other modern AT tires I know has uniformed tread pattern for both center tread and shoulders.....for a good reason.

Look at the new toyo RT and copper STT and STT pros, perfect expample of how a good design can expand the capability and make the tire excell in far wider range of use cases than any old tires can ever dreamed of.

Really? I can think of closer to 10 different at tires all better in different ways. The new compound and tread designs are far superior than the uniform pattern KO/KO2 has. The pattern never worked well to begin with the old KO, KO2 just have more ciping and softer compound. Is it better than the KO? Veryone seems to think so. Is it better compared to more advanced tread design? IMHO, no.

Here is the reason, center tread does completely different task compared to the shoulders. Center is for rolling on flat surface and shoulders are for covering and off camber bite, it also adds addition grip when tires are compressed or aired down. By having one pattern for both meaning it's is compromising for both use case and not good at either. No other modern AT tires I know has uniformed tread pattern for both center tread and shoulders.....for a good reason.

Look at the new toyo RT and copper STT and STT pros, perfect expample of how a good design can expand the capability and make the tire excell in far wider range of use cases than any old tires can ever dreamed of.
I'm not sure I follow you on the same tread for the shoulder. They look quite a bit different to me. I've looked at the stt pros, and I'd really like to try them. I'm just having a hard time talking myself into paying over $50 extra per tire :(. Edit- it's actually closer to $100 over the ko2s

I'm not sure I follow you on the same tread for the shoulder. They look quite a bit different to me. I've looked at the stt pros, and I'd really like to try them. I'm just having a hard time talking myself into paying over $50 extra per tire :(. Edit- it's actually closer to $100 over the ko2s

You are right!

Just took another look and they have changed the interlocking not design they use to use through out the tires. Now the shoulders are slightly bigger and open. But if you look at the out side lugs half of them are a u shape with the opening inside, good for trapping water and mud. Probably one of the reason why it does perform a lot better than the old beside the new compound.

Unfortunately I still dont like KO2 interlocking design with no exit for what gets locked I between the tread. If you look at all the new tires all the inter locking channels all have direct exit/opening to the side lug channel which all are MUCH bigger than KO2. That's how they shed mud and water and why the new designed are so good in wet, snow and muddy conditions. Their smooth inter locking center treads are good for highway manor and noise reduction. But with cleverly designed deep exit channels they are good in in very wide range of conditions especially with the new advanced compound(soft rubber with silica).

Everywhere I read KO2 is a straight rubber tire with no other materials competitor are using.

Last edited:
You got a great deal on these tires, but I was disappointed in snow and ice. Duratracs are way better and one of the magazines confirmed my feelings.

I'd go duratracs all day long on an SUV. I've installed duratacs on a 1 ton truck and used it for heavy hauling, bad choice. side walls are not stiff enough. Otherwise, great tires. I wish I had installed the duratracs on the my 100, I just assumed the new k02's were better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom