1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked T-case repair?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Paul_A, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Paul_A

Paul_A

I am rebuilding a '78 transfer case and now I find it has a hairline crack started at the top on both sides where you would expect it to be. It's about 1.5-2 inches long. I see the case saver plates. Has anyone tig welded a cracked case with any satisfaction? Weld inside and out? I hate to junk the case because of the money to replace. :-\

2. 1Fine40

1Fine40 Rust Buster SILVER Star

I've known two guys who did just that (tig the case).....and ended up with the new "two piece" transfer case! :( It didn't hold up too long. The case saver is great for good cases, but already broken ones....not too sure on that. I wouldn't want to trust it if it was me...YMMV

3. willsta2000

willsta2000

I'd just spend the $30 and buy the saver. http://www.tcase.homestead.com/
    Bag the idea of welding the crack regardless, I would think you'd weaken the surrounding aluminum having it welded up, being it isn't very thick.

I've seen empty cases go for maybe $30-50 on eBay from time to time, so you might want to check there also.

If you've already gotten deep into the rebuild I would get a new case. I guess when they go, there's a very good chance your gears will get torn up in the process.

4. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    IMO, you can weld it to be better than new...the alum bellhousing attaching my motor to my SM465 is welded....professionally. Basically, he drilled a hole at the end of the crack, cleaned the crack out and beveled it, then welded it from both sides. Stronger than stock. 5 years running of HARD use and no problems.

I wouldn't try it myself tho...my alum skills aren't good enuf!

5. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

Ditto to that. I used to work in a Hypo tranny shop and my boss used to weld bellhousings all the time. Never had one come back, and these trannys were run in bracket racers.

6. hammerhead

hammerhead

I am a professional welder and woody is right. Done correctly, that case could be stronger than stock.

7. Paul_A

Paul_A

And there is no issues that the case is a casting? I can TIG the case if there is a reasonable chance of it holding.

8. hammerhead

hammerhead

If done properly, no prob. I'm not at my shop and I can't remember the rod number off the top of my head. Look it up and get the right rod for cast alum. If you aren't a good welder , do not attempt to learn on used Aluminum. Very porous and holds a lot of oil.